BlueLion's 30 favorite horror films

→ in
Tools    

28 Days Later , The Others , Halloween and Aliens are all in my favorite and Jacob's Ladder , Dawn Of The Dead and The Fog are very good movies

Dawn of the Dead and Aliens are two of my favorites, although I consider the latter to be an action film.

Really like Halloween, Black Swan, and Beetlejuice.

I like 28 Days Later, but prefer the sequel, and I also liked Jacob's Ladder and Cabin in the Woods.

Haven't seen The Fog or The Others yet.

There are a few I haven't seen (Jacob's Ladder, The Tenant, The Conjuring), a couple I dislike (The Fog, Cabin in the Woods), but all the others I either like or love. My personal favorites to appear so far: The Thing, Eraserhead, 28 Days Later, Beetlejuice, and Black Swan.

Horror is something i need to get back into, when i was younger this was probably my favourite genre. Anway these are the ones i've liked from your list so far:

Gremlins, The Thing, Funny Games, Eraserhead (too low if your counting it as horror ), Carrie, Misery, The Exorcist (way too low ), 28 Days Later (i personally preferred Weeks but both are good), Beetlejuice, Dawn of the Dead (i actually preffered the remake), Halloween, and Aliens.

The ones i didn't include are only because i've either not seen them or i'm not that big a fan. There has been none so far that i dislike.

Unregistered User
Brilliant list BL. Only one i have yet to see is The Fog but hopefully shouldnt be too long. I'm right with you on the psychological horror by the way. Maybe we'll see Repulsion? The Innocents? Cronenberg?

Good idea with it soon being Halloween. i might steal it and do something similar, just a quick list of my favourite horrors. I love The Thing, Eraserhead and The Exorcist. I like a couple of the others, although I think that Halloween and Carrie are overrated.

The Fog, Halloween, Dawn Of The Dead and The Others. Still need to see Cabin In The Woods and I have Black Swan, though I'm not sure I'll like it. I wasn't that bothered about seeing it.

Unregistered User
The Fog, Halloween, Dawn Of The Dead and The Others. Still need to see Cabin In The Woods and I have Black Swan, though I'm not sure I'll like it. I wasn't that bothered about seeing it.
Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman HK, that is all.

10. Hour of the Wolf (1968) by Ingmar Bergman

I saw this one very recently as part of the Halloween horror challenge, and instantly loved it. It's dark and eerie and gothic, filled with surreal imagery throughout. Great study of a character battling with his own inner demons.

9. Let the Right One In (2008) by Tomas Alfredson

Better love story than Twilight.

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) by Wes Craven

A horror list without Freddy Krueger? Are you f***ing kidding me?!?!

7. An American Werewolf in London (1981) by John Landis

The makeup and special effects in this film are ridiculous.

6. Alien (1979) by Ridley Scott

Classic from start to finish. Alien makes good use of location and knows how to build the tension.

5. Rosemary's Baby (1968) by Roman Polanski

Polanski delivering the goods.

4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) by Tobe Hooper

This is the kind of horror I myself would make. No gore, nothing silly, just tension.

3. Lost Highway (1997) by David Lynch

Why do I hold Lost Highway in such high regard? Because it's neo-noir unlike any other. Lynch gives the middle finger to both subtlety and narrative as he dives headfirst into a character's subconscious, scene after scene presenting us with pure madness. On top of that, David Bowie + Rammstein in the soundtrack = win.

2. Psycho (1960) by Alfred Hitchcock

Champion filmmaking. It's dark and disturbing and complex, but I believe the true power of this film lies in its craftsmanship.

1. The Shining (1980) by Stanley Kubrick

A marvellous masterpiece. The Shining is, and will always be, my #1 horror film.

Psycho is so good I'm tempted to + rep the whole post. But I've yet to see Lost Horizons and the other three aren't even liked, let alone favourites. Definite + rep for A Nightmare On Elm Street and An American Werewolf In London and I liked Let The Right One In.

F*cking fantastic list, BlueLion. We have very similar taste when it comes to horror, apparently. Our top ten horror films looks very similar too. Alien, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, An American Werewolf in London - they would all be in it (and I love the rest too, though I've not seen Hour of the Wolf, which is weird as a horror and Bergman fan).

Psycho is so good I'm tempted to + rep the whole post. But I've yet to see Lost Horizons and the other three aren't even liked, let alone favourites. Definite + rep for A Nightmare On Elm Street and An American Werewolf In London and I liked Let The Right One In.
lmao Lost Horizons. I knew you wouldn't like my #1 choice, or my #4 choice, but what don't you like about Rosemary's Baby?

F*cking fantastic list, BlueLion. We have very similar taste when it comes to horror, apparently. Our top ten horror films looks very similar too. Alien, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, An American Werewolf in London - they would all be in it (and I love the rest too, though I've not seen Hour of the Wolf, which is weird as a horror and Bergman fan).

Great finish to the list. Alien, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining and Texas Chain Saw Massacre are all favorites of mine, and I'm not just talking about within the horror genre, but favorite films in general. Lost Highway is interesting and I'd like to watch it again, but it's easily one of my least favorite films from Lynch.

lmao Lost Horizons.

I knew you wouldn't like my #1 choice, or my #4 choice, but what don't you like about Rosemary's Baby?
The last time I saw it was the most I've ever liked it and, on that occassion, I don't think it bored me too much. I just don't think it's that good. Mia's annoying, as usual, and that's made even worse by one of the worst haircuts I've ever seen. Of course, none of this would matter greatly if it was interesting. I know for some/many it creates a great sense of dread or unease, but I get none of that. I like a great atmosphere. Especaially in a horror film, but this doesn't have one for me. There's just nothing special or particularly noteworthy about it, IMO.

G.R.E.A.T list.

Let The Right One In , A Nightmare On Elm Street , An American Werewolf In London , Alien , The Texas Chainsaw Massacre , Psycho and the best finish THE SHINING.

all great movies