BlueLion's 30 favorite horror films

→ in
Tools    

These lists are so addictive, dammit. Contagious even. The moment I saw that Rodent had created his Halloween-themed thread, I just knew. It was meant to be.

Please note that these are not necessarily films I would consider the scariest, they just happen to be the highest rated films which are labelled as horror according to my Criticker. But I've looked on other places too just to make sure. Some of these aren't your typical, traditional horror flicks, but at the very least they consist of horror elements. I should finish this in about three days so enjoy it while you can.

- -

30. Gremlins (1984) by Joe Dante

It's actually pretty silly for a horror, let's face it, and honestly not that scary, but I enjoy this one mainly because it gets the Christmas/holiday atmosphere right. Plus it has that very 80s feel which I always dig.

29. The Tenant (1976) by Roman Polanski

A film that made me go "wut" several times while I was watching it, and then made me scratch my head once it was over. I'm still not sure what it all means, but I like the themes Polanski tries to explore here. With the exception of the final third in which Polanksi himself loosens his screws, the film is quite terrifying at times.

28. The Thing (1982) by John Carpenter

Because a horror list isn't complete without a John Carpenter film.

27. Suspiria (1977) by Dario Argento

This one definitely doesn't scare me, or even disturb me, still, I can't help but appreciate it for its visuals and soundtrack. Definitely a must see for those with an interest in visually striking films.

26. Funny Games (1997) by Michael Haneke

This is more a thriller than it is a horror, but it's more disturbing than most horrors since the situation is more plausible than in most horrors. The violence is sudden, like in most Haneke films, and is quite shocking as a result. Dude without the bag in his head puts in an excellent performance.

25. Eraserhead (1977) by David Lynch

One simply should not try to make sense of this film, just surrender yourself to the incredible sound and visuals.

24. Carrie (1976) by Brian De Palma

Cheesy and over-the-top in typical De Palma fashion, but disturbing and thought-provoking in equal measure.

23. Misery (1990) by Rob Reiner

I'm a sucker for this kind of thriller/horror which relies heavily on winter atmosphere. I've seen this one several times and never got tired of it. Definitely one of the better Stephen King adaptations.

22. The Conjuring (2013) by James Wan

It's full of cliches and it brings absolutely nothing new to the table, and yet, for some reason it just worked for me. Mainly because it delivers.

21. The Exorcist (1973) by William Friedkin

The power of MoFo compels you! Rep me, rep me!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow. I only haven't seen Gremlins (I thought it's a family movie, not horror!) and only find Misery and The Conjuring slightly inferior to the rest.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wow. I only haven't seen Gremlins (I thought it's a family movie, not horror!) and only find Misery and The Conjuring slightly inferior to the rest.
You could say that it's a family film, but it's definitely a horror/comedy.

The Conjuring is inferior to most classics, without a doubt, but I found it scarier than most classics. I see it as effective filmmaking, they were clearly not trying to impress or overachieve, but to simply scare you to death, so it's very successful in that sense (for me at least)

Thought you did not care for Eraserhead?
Not until I rewatched it. It left me cold at first as I found it impossible to penetrate, but now I see it as a rather profound work. The film is actually about simple (but important) things, it's just that it's presented in a very surreal manner which makes it a tough nut to crack for a lot of people.

Not until I rewatched it. It left me cold at first as I found it impossible to penetrate, but now I see it as a rather profound work. The film is actually about simple (but important) things, it's just that it's presented in a very surreal manner which makes it a tough nut to crack for a lot of people.
Glad to see ya came around.

Very very nice to saw The Conjuring on your list ! I like it !

I just can't see Gremlins as a horror film. I like it, though. + rep for that, The Exorcist, Carrie, Suspiria and The Thing.

The Exorcist, The Thing, and Carrie are all easily in my top 10 horrors, and I also think highly of Misery, Funny Games, and The Conjuring.

I love Gremlins even though I don't consider it horror, bit I understand your perspective.

The Tenant and Suspiria are just ok for me.

I liked Eraserhead, but am unsure how I really feel about it. I could probably do with another viewing.

20. 28 Days Later (2002) by Danny Boyle

I have a few complaints about this film: some scenes could have done without music (even if it's really good music), and sometimes the camera is shaky when it doesn't need to be. But other than that, it's very stylish and cool. I've never been a fan of gore myself, but in this film it's justified.

19. Beetlejuice (1988) by Tim Burton

Weird and fun.

18. The Others (2001) by Alejandro Amenábar

Impossible to say why I liked it without entering spoiler territory. Let's just say it has a twist that I never saw coming.

17. The Cabin in the Woods (2012) by Drew Goddard

Absolutely ridiculous.

16. The Fog (1980) by John Carpenter

Very atmospheric, the imagery of this film always haunted me each time I saw it during my childhood. The score, which is pretty excellent, was composed by Carpenter himself.

15. Jacob's Ladder (1990) by Adrian Lyne

I found this film more frightening and disturbing than most horrors, as it shows how our minds (or souls) can go to very dark places on their own, even if we don't want to.

14. Dawn of the Dead (1978) by George A. Romero

Pretty dated, and even cheesy in parts, but still enjoyable. That soundtrack by Goblin is a killer.

13. Halloween (1978) by John Carpenter

Captures the Halloween mood perfectly.

12. Aliens (1986) by James Cameron

More action-packed than the first film, but almost just as tense and claustrophobic.

11. Black Swan (2010) by Darren Aronofsky

Psychological horror is my favorite subgenre of horror.

The original Dawn of the Dead is my favorite horror movie! Excellent!
It's my favorite George A Romero film by far. I think Night of the Living Dead is way more frightening and intense, but to me Dawn feels more like a hang out horror movie, which makes it that much more enjoyable

It's my favorite George A Romero film by far. I think Night of the Living Dead is way more frightening and intense, but to me Dawn feels more like a hang out horror movie, which makes it that much more enjoyable
It is close for me between Dawn and Night, but Dawn wins out in the end.