BlueLion's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

36. Se7en (1995)
David Fincher

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Seven is, in my book, the quintessential thriller. It is not a film that I would recommend to the faint of heart, considering how graphic and gruesome it is, but that's not where the greatness of this film lies. What makes me hold this film in such high regard isn't its shocking ending either, which a lot of people seem to appreciate the most about the film. What I admire the most about it is the outstanding cinematography and set design, the dark and grim look of the film in particular I feel is to this day unsurpassed when it comes to this kind of thriller.

35. The Fifth Element (1997)
Luc Besson

"Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle."

The movie that made me love movies. It's so over the top it's ridiculous, but it never takes itself too seriously, and that's why it works. I will be eternally grateful to my uncle for giving me the VHS of this film, and for making me obsessed with cinema as a result. It is a film that I watched several times the same year that I saw it for the first time, and I never got tired of it. It kept my eyes glued to the screen each time, and I was so in love with it that I even watched the behind the scenes footage numerous times. The world that Luc Besson managed to create in this rather original, weird and unique sci-fi never failed to amaze me as a kid, and even after all these years I still consider it refreshing.

I'm with you on Se7en. I don't go big on the ending either. My sister actually laughed at it. Great film, though and on my own 100.

I've never liked The Fifth Element, though.

Yeah I've posted on here before about how I was initially underwhelmed by the ending of Se7en, but a few more watches have confirmed to me the film's overall greatness.

Love Se7en just like anyone else.

I'm planning on watching The Fifth Element because it's on the 90's list, but I think that's one that I won't like.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Se7en is my favourite Fincher, although I haven't seen everything by him.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

34. Lost Highway (1997)
David Lynch

"I like to remember things my own way. Not necessarily the way they happened."

Like most good films, this is a film that continues to grow on me and one that I have come to appreciate more the more that I have thought about it, although I didn't exactly love it at first. It goes without saying that it is a tough nut to crack - it's quite complex and hard to follow, those more used to straightforward narratives in particular, might find it too cold and without a message or deeper meaning, but Lost Highway is right up my alley. I for one feel this is a rather profound film, and once seen through the eyes of Bill Pullman's character, one will inevitably find it easier to decipher the film and all its hidden meanings. Lost Highway might not be Lynch's most surreal film, but I think that in addition to being his most frightening film, it is also, by far, the most disturbing thing he's ever done.

33. Chungking Express (1994)
Kar Wai Wong

"If memories could be canned, would they also have expiry dates? If so, I hope they last for centuries."

I'm not a huge fan of romance, but this is unlike any romantic film that I have watched. What makes it so unique is that, even though it's a love story, it is essentially a film about memories and human connection. It has characters that I feel I will always be able to relate to at one point in my life, as the innocence, quirkiness and the charm of the characters is one of the reasons why I love the film. I also love how colorful and bittersweet the film is, Wong Kar-wai and his cinematographer have photographed the film in such a way that it gives it an almost dreamlike quality. Great films like Chungking Express have the ability to take you to a different place and time, and make you feel as though you're truly living the experience.

Love Chunking Express (I love Wong Kar-Wai films in general)! I agree with your last sentence. His films take you to another dimension. They're hypnotic pieces of beauty and sincere emotion.

Haven't seen Lost Highway yet, but have it available. So I'll definitely watch it when I'm in the mood for some Lynch.

Love Chunking Express (I love Wong Kar-Wai films in general)! I agree with your last sentence. His films take you to another dimension. They're hypnotic pieces of beauty and sincere emotion.
I've seen three of his films so far, the other two being Fallen Angels and In the Mood for Love, and Chungking Express I liked and enjoyed the most, it was the first one that I watched as well. More often than not, it seems that the first films that I watch from certain directors seem to end up being my favorites of those directors, for some reason.

Love Se7en a truly superb thriller, Lost Highway is a very good film too, I'd rank it much lower than Blue Velvet, though

@Daniel: You always seem to have a different favorite Lynch film.

I've seen three of his films so far, the other two being Fallen Angels and In the Mood for Love, and Chungking Express I liked and enjoyed the most, it was the first one that I watched as well. More often than not, it seems that the first films that I watch from certain directors seem to end up being my favorites of those directors, for some reason.
True, especially with more experimental directors or directors with a very distinctive style. The experience of watching your first film from that kind of director has the aspects of surprise, wonder and freshness added to it.

My first Wong Kar-Wai film was In the Mood For Love for instance and it's also my favorite.

Over time and after a couple of rewatches, the perception of a director's filmography becomes more neutral, though, and then you can discover what your true favorite is.

@Daniel: You always seem to have a different favorite Lynch film.
Nah, I'd say my top three have always pretty much been Lost Highway, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and Blue Velvet

Nah, I'd say my top three have always pretty much been Lost Highway, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and Blue Velvet
I remember you saying Inland Empire was your favorite somewhere (a few months ago), so you better make that a top 4.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I remember you saying Inland Empire was your favorite somewhere (a few months ago), so you better make that a top 4.
I know Daniel likes it, but it's my number one Lynch, not his, I called it