Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Nightcrawler, 2014
Dir: Dan Gilroy

The character of Lou Bloom, an ambitious, perseverant, detailed, manipulative and most likely sociopathic budding news cameraman, is interesting to watch in itself. But what makes following the evolution of his career, as well as the degeneration of his sanity, as engrossing as the graphic news stories he records and sells, is the intricately detailed and absorbing performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.

The main problem with the plot is that, despite the advantage of having such an interesting main character at its disposal, it always maintains its distance. It might be interpreted as an intentional reference to the explicit footage Bloom works with; they reveal the facts visually, but there is still a large gap between what is caught by the camera and the much cruder reality (which the film suggests constantly; most images of violence did not feel shockingly disturbing, probably due to Bloom’s and the audience’s unfamiliarity with those subjects, as well as them being displayed on a camera or a television screen). But in my opinion, if something lacked, it was a more in depth dissection of this disturbed man.

Still, this doesn't discredit the movie’s efficacy at evoking suspense, both for the crimes Bloom hastily chases and for the escalating corruption of his already-dubious psyche.

7.5/10

Count me as one of those who prefer the sequel to the original. Granted I did not care much for the original. The original I found boring and not scary. This wasn't scary either, but it is very entertaining! Dennis Hopper only adds to the over the top fun, as does the Cook played by Jim Siedow. May the horror hounds forgive me for liking this better then the original.

Band of Outsiders (1964) "Bande à part" (original title)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Fack ju Göhte - 10/10
The Maze Runner - 8/10

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

This movie looks great, and I thought that it had a little more fun to it than the average Western. Newman and Redford are awesome in it, and there are some great scenes. Despite all the positives, it doesn't quite add up to a personal favorite, but it's an excellent movie.

Count me as one of those who prefer the sequel to the original. Granted I did not care much for the original. The original I found boring and not scary. This wasn't scary either, but it is very entertaining! Dennis Hopper only adds to the over the top fun, as does the Cook played by Jim Siedow. May the horror hounds forgive me for liking this better then the original.

I'm glad you really liked it. I thought maybe you had seen it before and didn't care for it.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 5/10

Even with my expectations tempered from what they had been, if I would have waited just one day more before making a most disappointing list for 2014, this would have topped it as #1. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is made by a team of people who seemingly understood what made Sin City popular, but not why. Since the first film was shot in black-and-white with the occassional splash of color (eyes, lips, hair, a dress, a heart-shaped bed, an especially grotesque character, etc...), they inluded a lot more of it (a car, a street-ful of flashing neon lights, an entire person, etc...). Since the original occassionally cut to a hyper-stylized, comic-like shooting style, they included a lot more of that, intercut briefly and at awkward, disorienting times for no reason other than to include it. Since the original presented a series of independent stories that briefly intersected with shared characters or locations, they again went with more: most of the stories featuring the same exact same set of characters in centrally important roles.

This film had so much potential going into production, between a fantastic cast (including new-to-the-series Joseph Gordon Levitt and Josh Brolin) and a rich set of stories to choose from. It fails specifically because it tries to outdo and tie everything back to the original film. The fact that the two most important stories feature women manipulating men into doing what they selfishly want them to do, at great risk to their own health and sanity, makes this off-puttingly sexist to boot (one among an entire collection would have been fine, as would both spread out over a couple sequels, but all of it together is too much of the same thing all at once).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't think it was really disappointing, but I didn't expect much, and I gave it a 5.5.

Not currently on fire...

Poorly distributed, this is a recent Second World War film focusing on Brazilian soldiers who (really) fought on the brutal Italian front.

I worried at first that this was going to be a generic warfilm that happened to be about Brazilian soldiers, or a mere exercise in patriotism, but in fact it was something really superb.

After their unit has their first taste of combat in a night time attack, they make a disorderly retreat and a number become lost in the dark. The next morning they realise that they could be shot as deserters, so make for a nearby road which is heavily mined, with the intention of clearing it to prove their commitment.

Languorously paced and often minimal, this is certainly not a normal war film, but a philosophical discourse on the nature and value of sacrifice. The soldier's efforts, like those of the brave Brazilian soldiers who travelled half way round the world to fight in a war that wasn't theirs, are quickly forgotten and ignored by everyone around them.

The harsh reality of war summed up without the gore or violent of a lot of other war films.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	9202_1.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	19407  

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

3 or so Freudian cigars out of 5.

Thanks to honeykid for recommending it.

Edge Of Tomorrow (2014) - Doug Liman

- Very impressive futuristic flick with awesome performance from the lead cast (cannot even imagine I said that of Tom Cruise but it's a fact). The storyline is great , the direction is unbelivable and the ending is very nice for an action flick. Brief, I love it and one of my new favorite.
+