Favorite Romance Movies...i.e."chick flicks"

Tools    

I'd say "Good Will Hunting" would have to be somewhere up there. It's very subtle...but I found it very interesting. He just wasn't willing to say what she wanted him to...and she kept at it. She was willing to do whatever it took, it seemed, despite the way he acted. Whether or not that's to be admired remains to be seen, but I thought it was interesting.
In the end, he discovered that he really did love the girl. An interesting movie, made all the more so by the depiction of the town-gown relations.

I don't think as good as it gets registers as a chick flick. it's too witty for it to be one.

mine would be Nottinghill...

My favorite straight up romance movies:

5. Let The Right One In
Good horror movies come so rarely into my life. The same with good vampire movies. And the same also goes for good love stories (I refrain from using the term "romance movies" since I find Hollywood's idea of romance is always so impossibly & ridiculously fairy-tale-like). This movie is 2 outta 3 (Though there is some, it's very light on the horror). Told more in an adult manner, yet still with enough of an escapist sensibilty that is respective to the genre, this is a soft, beautiful & beguiling story (which is really saying something since I don't know what that word means) of two 12 year olds finding love for the first time thru the flaws of each of their separate (& sometimes desperate) life situations.
The lead actors for this movie portray their characters with a true down to earth awkwardness that is usually found with kids at this age, along with a longing that is both sincere & convincing.
As far as vampire love stories go, I find myself agreeing with those who compare this one with another human-falls-for-bloodfeeder film that was released around the same time :
the 15 year old girls can have their Twilight. I'll take LTROI.

4. Before Sunset
The nine year follow-up to the masterfully written Before Sunrise.
A love story that indulges in the idea of the kinds of bonds that can form if two people actually tried to communicate in a manner mired in bared-boned honesty (to which, I must confess, the "come-down-to-reality" part of my male brain wants to smirkly say "yeah....rrriight...") & with an intention of true understanding.
The two characters in Sunset come off just impeccably convincing as two people who truly have gone on from their 1st. meeting, but never let go of the genuineness of that first shared emotionally intimate experience.
Simply great acting, a great script, and a great sequel with a great endi

3. Punch Drunk Love
A P.T. Anderson effort that delves into how an unforseeable strength & driving force can result when two souls take the jump into the unfamiliar territory that is the map of the human heart. A map whose directions seem only to reveal themselves on a need to know basis. But wait...!
It stars Adam Sandler? The same Adam Sandler whom I thought for sure would never appear in a film that I would like? And who not only puts the effort of actually acting in it, but also in the end, actually does a good job?
To the point, that it becomes the very first movie starring the waterboy that I not only ended up actually enjoying, but also, now come to regard as one of my favorite romance films ever?
Okay,
verily, the seventh seal hath been broken.

2. Casablanca
A movie which shows that it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.
So, play it again Sam,
cuz here's looking at you, kid.
What else can I say other than, when it comes to this particular genre, this is the classic of all classics.

1. Bridges of Madison County
A truly romantic story of how the escapist fantasy high/feeling that initially results with falling in love must eventually be realistically dealt with as the conditions & responsibilities of one's current situation come quickly creeping back in. I once heard that, in the context of human history, couples pairing up for the sake of true love is still relatively young. We as a species over-all , have not evolved enough yet to be able to deal & accept each other in a manner that would be considered as unconditional love (which is the only real love). And it is because of this that the world population has yet been unable to formulate an effective means of discussion that would truly begin a process of unity between it's racial, social & gender factions. And maybe this is why so many of us make decisions more for the sake of security, emotionally as well as socially & financially . Decisions that may impede on our ability to follow our hearts & therefore sway us , individually and socially, from a path that would lead us to true love before its too late.

My favorite chick flicks that are under the category of romantic comedies:

5. As Good As It Gets
Being more of a non-fan of this genre (the ones on this list are the few that I like), a romance film has a better chance of stealing my heart if it's one the few that tend to have a sort of a sharp or jagged edge to 'em. And this one definitely does thru Jack's portrayal of a writer with "redrum" on his mind. At least, he does with the little dog during the opening sequence.
Nicholson eases thru the role of a crusty curmudgeon with psychologically-based anti-social issues (Is it just me or does it seem that the majority of Jack's most memorable roles always have something seriously askew upstairs? Or am I just being crazy?), & he does so with the insane-like smoothness of an actor who can do this stuff blindfolded.
Add the fact that, at the same time, he still manages to allow himself to genuinely deliver the kind of lines that make the ladies go "awwww...", therefore substantially increasing the chances of me "gettin' some" with my date on the night I saw this film, & it becomes easy to see why this is a romantic comedy that provides an end-result that can be pleasing to both males & females alike.

4. How Harry Met Sally.....
Boy meets girl.
Boy befriends girl. But not in that way.
Then boy sleeps with girl. But will that get in the way?
In the end, will boy get girl?
It's a Rob Reiner feel-good film....
so what do you think?

IMO, Billy Crystal's best film & probably the best romantic chemistries between two people since His Girl Friday.

3. His Girl Friday
The genre of the romantic comedy comes to an early peak with this story about two reporters, once divorced from each other, but still carrying a shared torch as fiery as their shared passion for their jobs. Old skool movie dialogue so quick & full of wit, that despite any dated slants in the material, comes off sounding contemporarily sharp & filled with as much energy as if it were written for today.

2. The 40 Year Old Virgin
By far, my fave of the Apatow comedies. Like Knocked Up, his best films seem to be the ones in which he does triple duty as director, writer, & producer.
In this case, this triple-combo results in a movie whose strength lies not just with the high level of comedy (which probably would've been enough), but also for the fact that at it's heart, this is a story of a "late bloomer" that is handled not just intelligently, but even more importantly, with a genuine heart.
Ofttimes, many of the characters seem to deliver their punchlines with a tempered sense of sympathy towards the plight of the lead character, even when the results lead to a an exasperated situation of disintegrated success (a tried & true formula of the genre).
This movie can be touching & even socially in-depth at times, but without any cost the number of out-loud laughs.

1. Roman Holiday
Audrey Hepburn's American film debut as a European princess who, overstressed by the demands of her royal duties, decides to unwind by going "slumming" about all over Rome. And not once throughout the entire journey, does she fail to exude the radient beauty that not only contributed to forever mark her place in film history, but also, that epitomizes the phrase "Lighting up the screen".
Therefore, as a result, I find that, even with it's well-written script, direction, supporting cast & chemistry,
at least 80% of the success of this movie's depiction of romance still belongs to Hepburn's presence alone.

Movie Forums Extra
the evening star

Adding P.S. I love You (2007) to my list...

and for the record, I still hate the term chick flick...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am half agony, half hope.
Return to Me. So sweet and funny.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I know I posted recently in the other "Romance Movie" thread, but I watched part of Fanny )1961) today, and that's a heckuva of a cranked-up romance. The lovers love each other, but the guy (Horst Buchholz) knows that he needs to escape his hometown and go off to the sea before he settles down. His love (Leslie Caron) doesn't want him to go, but she also doesn't want him to hate her for tying him down before he has a chance to live. If you haven't watched it, check it out! I also recommend the original Marcel Pagnol trilogy, from the 1930s, Marius, Fanny and Cesar.

Movie Forums Extra
a walk to remember would have to be my favorite.
it makes me cry every time though.

Originally Posted by mark f
I know I posted recently in the other "Romance Movie" thread, but I watched part of Fanny (1961) today, and that's a heckuva of a cranked-up romance.

Fanny is being released on R1 DVD next week.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What Seems To Be Your Boggle?
How to lose a guy in 10 days, i only put it on to see if Kate Hudson was in anything revealing but i got into the film and a the end thought it was a good film, i haven't told many people that tho lol.

sex and the city
the sweetest thing
how to lose a guy in 10 days
10 things I hate about you
kate and leopold

There are sooooooooooo many chick flicks out there... but lets face it... some of them are very fun to watch

My favorite romantic couples:

Punch-drunk Love
Garden State
Joe Vs The Valcano
Annie Hall
Titanic
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Tipping the Velvet
Secretary
Jumpin Jack Flash
Bridges of Madison County
The Mirror Has Two Faces
While You Were Sleeping
Benny and Joon
Mrs. Winterbourne
Babycakes
Before Sunrise
Stranger Than Fiction
The Notebook
The Long, Long Trailer
50 First Dates
Jeni, Juno (American version is Juno, which I didnt like as much)

A system of cells interlinked
Jeni, Juno (American version is Juno, which I didnt like as much)

These films aren't related, at all. Diablo Cody has already discussed this in both her blog and in interviews. Although they deal with similar content, the films are completely unrelated. Neither is a remake, nor inspired by the other.

Also, do you really consider Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore to be a romance flick? The romance sub-plot has always seemed like more of a side plot than a focus, with the Mother/Son relationship being more central...

Benny and Joon- how much did I love the scene with Jonny Depp in the park, if anything makes me smile when i'm a bit miserable its that scene, so innocent.

A walk to remember- a really try not to get all girly and emotional when I watch this film but it happens everytime! Its not one of the greatest films but i still love it.

I also like Prime with Uma Thurman, its a film with some really great subtly moments but at its heart it is very realistic, sometimes no love can last when the guy sleeps around.

I capture the castle (film of the Dodie Smith book with Bill Nighy and Marc Blucas) is a heart warming English story of the complications of love and marriage in the 1930s.