Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Marvin & Tige - 7.5/10

I saw this years ago on Prime, and loved it. John Cassavetes runs into an 11-yr old black boy who wants to commit suicide. If you wanna know more, check out the movie. It's now on Tubi. I know my score probably went a half point down because of the disruptions, but its still good. Very minimalist.

I just watched the original theatrical cut (I think?) of Blade Runner for the first time and

WOW

That voice-over is TERRIBLE. Just so bad. And while the beginning voice over is just intrusive and dumb, the one at the end actively makes the scene much, much worse. You go from this beautiful speech and visual moment to
WARNING: spoilers below
"Well, I guess I'll never know why he saved me. . . . "

And then the
slow jazz playing over them driving away--with additional voice-over!--like some horrible Toyota commercial

Woof.

The trick is not minding
I just watched the original theatrical cut (I think?) of Blade Runner for the first time and

WOW

That voice-over is TERRIBLE. Just so bad. And while the beginning voice over is just intrusive and dumb, the one at the end actively makes the scene much, much worse. You go from this beautiful speech and visual moment to

And then the
slow jazz playing over them driving away--with additional voice-over!--like some horrible Toyota commercial

Woof.
Yep. A cautionary tale of what happens when a studio interferes. Although I’m not as. bothered by the voice over narration as some.
I think there is something like 4 versions of it? And the final cut is supposedly the definitive version that most seem to appreciate the most.
At some point, I’ll have to watch it.

WOW

And then the

Woof.
"Sushi. That's what my ex-wife used to call me. Cold fish."

Yep. A cautionary tale of what happens when a studio interferes. Although I’m not as. bothered by the voice over narration as some.
I think there is something like 4 versions of it? And the final cut is supposedly the definitive version that most seem to appreciate the most.
At some point, I’ll have to watch it.
I thought that it was poorly written, not well-delivered, and unbearably loaded with needless exposition.

Like, I cannot overstate how shocking it was after seeing the film without it. I've read about it, obviously, but I hadn't expected to be so put off by it.

"Sushi. That's what my ex-wife used to call me. Cold fish."
Sorry, I've decided to move into the denial stage of my feelings about this and I have no idea what you are referencing.

I thought that it was poorly written, not well-delivered, and unbearably loaded with needless exposition.

Like, I cannot overstate how shocking it was after seeing the film without it. I've read about it, obviously, but I hadn't expected to be so put off by it.
Ford didn't want to do it and it wasn't a part of the original script. It was tossed together and forced upon them so Ford tried to sabotage it by delivering it utterly monotonously.

They still kept it. It's bafflingly bad.

I forgot the opening line.
Going back to 2010, to a couple of films I really liked, but haven't seen since then...

By IMPAwards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31566396

Submarine - (2010) - DVD rewatch

Back in 2010 it felt to me like Richard Ayoade could do absolutely no wrong. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Man to Man with Dean Learner, and his comedic acting as Moss in The IT Crowd made him a prominent figure that was ushering in a new era of British comedy that included figures like Peter Serafinowicz, Chris Morris and Steve Coogan. Morris had written and directed his first feature, the excellent Four Lions in 2010. So how good was Ayoade's debut? More than promising. It was good enough for Ayoade to let me down by not becoming a full-time writer/director and building a body of work - instead stretching himself thin hosting television shows, writing and providing voice-over work on various projects.

Based on a novel (as yet unpublished when it was suggested Ayoade turn it into a script and a feature film) by Joe Dunthorne, Submarine reflects the pain and triumph of first love. It's protagonist, Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts) is eccentric in the extreme, and has an imaginative inner world that reflects cinema. Many films are referenced - but not at the expense of a wonderful comedic timing that's exploited to the full. Tate is a pragmatist who becomes an unlikely bully and arsonist to win the girl he's attracted to - Jordana (Yasmin Paige). When Jordana's mother is diagnosed with a brain tumour and his own parents seem on the verge of splitting, Tate's life begins to spiral out of control - something he'll try all manner of ways to correct.

Great supporting roles for Noah Taylor, Sally Hawkins and Paddy Considine - not to mention some great original songs by Alex Turner - make this a very pleasant, funny film experience. It had me from the very first moment and engaged me the whole time. I'm glad I returned to it.

Special Features - A commentary by Ayoade, Joe Dunthorne and cinematographer Erik Wilson. Unfortunately all three seem to be quiet individuals who fail to inspire, but I appreciate all the film references (ie - Le Samouraï) being pointed out. Lengthy Q&A sessions which are quite funny. The full Through the Prism with Graham T. Purvis video within a movie. Interviews. Ben Stiller (executive producer) message to the crew. Deleted scenes. Extended scenes.

8/10 (but possibly 7/10)

By The cover art can or could be obtained from year.html IMP Awards or Momentum Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30047133

Another Year - (2010) - Rewatch

Heartbreaking Mike Leigh film with a typically great performance by Lesley Manville. It centers on main characters Tom (Jim Broadbent) and Gerri (Ruth Sheen) - two people who have their lives very much in order and are happy with how they turned out. Revolving around them are a cast of characters whose lives are a big disappointment. Ken (Peter Wight) - overweight and unfit. Ronnie - just lost his wife. Carl - Ronnie's bad-boy son. But especially Mary (Lesley Manville) - alcoholic, lonely and a life that's in complete disarray. When Mary sets her sights on seducing Tom and Gerri's son (who is half her age) her fragile friendship with Gerri becomes unglued, which in turn breaks her down to a desperately low emotional mess. It's here that the film finds it's focus and turns it from average to a very good Mike Leigh movie.

7/10 (but possibly 8/10)

WOW

And then the

Woof.
Yup; I mean, I haven't watched the theatrical version since I was 13 (which was twenty years ago), back when I'd barely watched any movies in a more critical, "adult" manner, but even then, I still remember those creative decisions striking me as being lousy. Hopefully this won't put you off of watching the other, voiceover-free cuts, though, since they certainly benefit from the alterations.

Yup; I mean, I haven't watched the theatrical version since I was 13 (which was twenty years ago), back when I'd barely watched any movies in a more critical, "adult" manner, but even then, I still remember those creative decisions striking me as being lousy. Hopefully this won't put you off of watching the other, voiceover-free cuts, though, since they certainly benefit from the alterations.
Oh, I've seen another version (possibly the Director's Cut?) twice and really enjoyed it. This version was horribly jarring. (I mean, it gets okay in the middle when the voiceover basically goes away, but then it comes raring back at the end).

This is the first time it's ever made sense to me that someone gave this a bad review when it came out.

Victim of The Night

WOW

And then the

Woof.
It's funny because for years that was the ONLY Blade Runner and I loved it. I didn't like the voice-over, I never have liked voice-over, but it was still just a really cool movie.
Then the Director's Cut was released in theaters in '92 and all our minds were blown. Oh that wasn't just a really cool movie... it was a masterpiece of cinema. How about that?
The DC is still my favorite version.

PS - There is a recurring story out there that Ford was really irritated about the voice-over decision and intentionally undermined it with his weird delivery.

Another Year - (2010) - Rewatch

Heartbreaking Mike Leigh film with a typically great performance by Lesley Manville. It centers on main characters Tom (Jim Broadbent) and Gerri (Ruth Sheen) - two people who have their lives very much in order and are happy with how they turned out. Revolving around them are a cast of characters whose lives are a big disappointment. Ken (Peter Wight) - overweight and unfit. Ronnie - just lost his wife. Carl - Ronnie's bad-boy son. But especially Mary (Lesley Manville) - alcoholic, lonely and a life that's in complete disarray. When Mary sets her sights on seducing Tom and Gerri's son (who is half her age) her fragile friendship with Gerri becomes unglued, which in turn breaks her down to a desperately low emotional mess. It's here that the film finds it's focus and turns it from average to a very good Mike Leigh movie.

7/10 (but possibly 8/10)
Terrific movie. Manville very very good.

Re-watch after many years. Good movie though I had to wiki it to understand what the heck was going on. I am not good with convoluted plots.

Interesting tidbit: the 2 excellent leads - Hutton & Penn - were born one day apart in California in 1985.

One does need to have seen Gomorrah the Italian series in order to understand this movie. I needed two viewings & wiki to fully understand the plot. Very good movie & I hope this means that Marco D’Amore will be returning for the final season of Gomorrah.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Tomorrow War (2021) - When this started, for at least half an hour I was thinking this movie can't be as bad as everyone says, there's some decent alien action stuff and then... yeah, it is as bad as everyone says. Towards the end it seemed like some of the dialogue was from a comedy parody film. Altogether it was like some strange spliced together hybrid of the scripts for several different films, none of which really worked. I did like the music, though, that belonged in a better film.

It's funny because for years that was the ONLY Blade Runner and I loved it. I didn't like the voice-over, I never have liked voice-over, but it was still just a really cool movie.
Then the Director's Cut was released in theaters in '92 and all our minds were blown. Oh that wasn't just a really cool movie... it was a masterpiece of cinema. How about that?
The DC is still my favorite version.

PS - There is a recurring story out there that Ford was really irritated about the voice-over decision and intentionally undermined it with his weird delivery.
Have you seen the Final Cut? I was skeptical about it but the changes between it and the DC were largely technical and it seemed to maintain the important narrative changes. Just a big official polish from Ridley Scott himself (the Director’s Cut is something of a misnomer as, if I recall correctly, it was made without his direct involvement and was merely based off notes and the Final Cut is also a proper Director’s Cut).