Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I've read a number of his pieces. They're pretty solid, but that the same time, I'd be lying if I said they kept me coming back in the same way. Breihan's writing is respectable but his voice is a bit...generic? Vishnevetsky looks at movies from a distinct enough angle that I find myself making space for his writing in my diet, even though I read professional critics less and less these days.
I suppose you could say that about Tom's writing, since it feels like the series he put the most heart/effort into was his Action movie retrospective A History Of Violence, which makes sense since it was his first series on the Club, and the stuff he's done since then has probably been a bit less of a labor of love, but I still find his work to be pretty can't-miss regardless.

Victim of The Night
I stumbled across a pretty substantial list of classic sci-fi, horror, and fantasy films earlier today, so I figured I'd repost it here in case anyone's curious.

Since viewing it, I watched both The Hound of the Baskervilles (which I just realized is the only Hammer horror film I've seen) and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms this evening and enjoyed them quite a bit.
Dude.
We need to fix this.

Victim of The Night
I stumbled across a pretty substantial list of classic sci-fi, horror, and fantasy films earlier today, so I figured I'd repost it here in case anyone's curious.

https://www.listchallenges.com/old-s...fantasy-movies

Here's the full list, btw.  

Since viewing it, I watched both The Hound of the Baskervilles (which I just realized is the only Hammer horror film I've seen) and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms this evening and enjoyed them quite a bit.
Very cool. I was surprised by how many I've seen (108) and then surprised by a few I haven't even heard of.

Victim of The Night
I've seen 46/150. There's a bunch of films on there I know about but haven't watched yet and a couple dozen more which I've never heard of.
You should see Tarantula. So fun.

https://www.listchallenges.com/old-s...fantasy-movies

Here's the full list, btw.  

81 for me.

When I looked up Skullduggery, I found a 1970 Burt Reynolds movie about finding the missing link.

Sorry for the nightmare fuel.
Really pandering to the Cats 2019 fan base, I see.*

I noticed a second Skullduggery as well. Will probably need to subject myself to that one too.

My Skullduggery is about a medieval curse that makes some dork susceptible to the evils of a Dungeons and Dragons game, and so he dresses up in chainmail and as a rabbit and kills people. Plus there is a magician who stalks a children's talent show and a jigsaw puzzle playing devil. At least that is what I got out of the shadowy images that remain visible on the worn out VHS dub they offer on Tubi.

It is borderline unwatchable at times, but fascinating for masochists like me.

Dude.
We need to fix this.
Asking this might result in me receiving a ton of recommendations, but what would your top picks be? I think you and Captain Terror are the biggest Hammer horror fans here, if I'm correct.

Asking this might result in me receiving a ton of recommendations, but what would your top picks be? I think you and Captain Terror are the biggest Hammer horror fans here, if I'm correct.
Start with the Curse of Frankenstein ('57) and/or Horror of Dracula ('58).

I'm also new to Hammer horror movies, having only seen Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (both of which are on Hulu), Horror of Dracula and The Brides of Dracula. I've found all of them to be lean, fun, visually pleasant (for multiple reasons, especially in Brides, but I digress) and entertaining simply to see actors like Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do their thing. I believe they're ideal for Saturday morning entertainment. It's just too bad that more of them are not available for streaming or VOD (Dracula: Prince of Darkness and The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires are not, for instance).

Holy ****, fam. I must be looking at the wrong list. This is a little embarrassing, and I hate to be that guy, but I've seen damn near all of these, except for Macario and Quartermass and the Pit. I guess I can partially credit that to my special interest in German expressionism for some of the more obscure older titles.

I think one that may be the most obscure, which I tracked down for a Horrorcram in 2015, is 1955's Dementia, an interesting Lynch-like psychological vignette. Do what you must to it.

My blindspot is older science fiction and creature feature type movies. I'm also weak on Hammer.
I didn't think the list gets too deep on the latter two, but conversely I love old sci-fi, older the better. Chalk it up to being a Starlog geek with a library card and public domain fetish.

The trick is not minding
I almost expect a certain poster to chime and say “You’re not a true sci fi fan unless you’ve watched Gamera and Ghidora!”

But then I realize that Kaiju might be beneath his notice.

Side note: I wonder why they only have the third Quartermass film and not the first 2 as well on the list?