Dark animated movies

Tools    

One of the best animes ever. Better than PMMM and only a little bit worse than some Ghibli films (a lot darker and more mature than both, though).
More mature and darker? Just because it has extreme naked violence? PMMM is dark because it depicts very well the feeling of hopelessness and suicidal depression.

It's very simplistic from an artistic point of view, poorly executed and I found it unsatisfactory. Only the art is interesting but then I can read the manga instead and have the art without the animation.

Huh, I'll have to check out that adaptation of Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show.
There are hundreds of enormously superior anime titles you should watch before you watch rather mediocre stuff like that.

i also watch this Fantastic Mr. Fox

Welcome to the human race...
Can be dark, but other times it can be pretty goofy. Hence why I did not list it. But I do love that movie.
The OP said "darker or more adult-ish", and I daresay that even the goofy parts of Heavy Metal constitute some very adult humour. Hell, OP cited Fantastic Mr. Fox as an example of a darker animated movie so I'd hardly rule out Heavy Metal because it features coke-snorting aliens and horny robots.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's very simplistic from an artistic point of view, poorly executed and I found it unsatisfactory. Only the art is interesting but then I can read the manga instead and have the art without the animation.
The movie is equivalent to Pasolini's Teorema, so it by no means is simplistic. Also, the girls have nipples on their titties here and Madoka (was that her name?) did not have any. Not that I care about looking at nipples of 10 years old girls... Anyway, remember I loved PMMM, too, so I by no means want to underestimate its greatness. I just prefer Midori by a tad bit, personally.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The OP said "darker or more adult-ish", and I daresay that even the goofy parts of Heavy Metal constitute some very adult humour. Hell, OP cited Fantastic Mr. Fox as an example of a darker animated movie so I'd hardly rule out Heavy Metal because it features coke-snorting aliens and horny robots.
Well I must have missed that part then.

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm... I'm not familiar with everything you've said... Can you guys add some description of the main plot (off course no spoilers). Sorry guys.
It's Such A Beautiful Day is a three-part movie about a man named Bill, who lives out his mundane day-to-day existence while also dealing with the onset of mental and physical illness.

I think that the IMDB has information on all the movies listed here.
That is true, but I guess if we actually want them to watch the movies we recommend then we should at least tell them a little bit about said movies.

Well I must have missed that part then.
Fair enough.

Been wanting to see that one, seems pretty crazy.

Everyone has pretty much said all the ones I know about. I would say Pinocchio has some pretty dark stuff in it (the infamous donkey scene)

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
One animated film with dark and mature themes that comes to mind is All Dogs Go to Heaven. Seriously (SPOILERS AHEAD):

-Main character is killed within the first 10 minutes of the movie.
-Gambling is abundant (something considered adult-ish).
-Smoking, drinking, and I swear there's even dog-hookers.
-Dream sequence of the main character being in Hell.
-That alligator...need I say more about it?
-Main character dies a second time near the end of the movie.

The things that were in 'family films'! XD

[That is true, but I guess if we actually want them to watch the movies we recommend then we should at least tell them a little bit about said movies.
Indeed you are right, put comments on the rest of the movies listed there.