Movies I Want To Remake - Movies You Want To Remake

Tools    

Estimated Remake Budgets included (just for kicks)

The Raven 1963 ($100 mil)
The Odessa File 1974 ($30 mil)
Zardoz 1974 ($30 mil)
Mad Max 1979 ($80 mil)
Silent Running 1972 ($60 mil)
Soylent Green 1973 ($80 mil)
Planet of the Apes 1968 ($150 mil)
Moby Dick 1956 ($100 mil)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia 1974 ($25 mil)
Seven Samurai 1954 ($80 mil)
The Seventh Seal 1957 ($60 mil)
Quest for Fire 1981 ($80 mil)
Wait Until Dark 1967 ($40 mil)
Dune 1984 ($100 mil)

Today it appears that many "directors" believe that if you use the title of a film then you are making the remake. Some stories have been perverted to being completely new and ruined or the language is ruined.

I would agree - a movie needs changes in the script to give it "original" character. However, a true remake follows the original story, characters, and changes the script only in ways remaining true to the content and language of the original. For instance, I would completely rewrite lines and scenes for Zardoz but I would largely remain true to the story and use the same characters. But I would also heavily change the look of the film.

With Dune I would return more to the novel. I love David's take (for the most part - some major casting mistakes and it ran too short). Moby Dick and Quest For Fire would also refleck the novels (although I would make changes to Quest For Fire in many regards), Soylent Green would return to the novel.

Seventh Seal and Bring Me The Head would largely stay true to the original scripts (with overall polish and redress) and undergo major production changes.

I would love to remake the above list of films (produce/write/ and in cases even direct) bringing my own approach and art concepts (or employing those I like).
Anybody got $800,000,000?

Why remakes? Some stories warrant a new take (better production) or a story is good enough to play again in the theatre (which means you need a new version).

What would you like to remake?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The 10th Victim, for sure. The original is witty, has a great Morricone score and is quite satisfying. However, there are a few parts which could be improved (Mastroianni's problems with his ex-wife and his girlfriend) and they could get a little more specific with certain weapons, such as alligators. I also think I could remake it with very little CGI because if you just use futuristic buildings and sets, that would be plenty. This would be something like the recent Mr. and Mrs. Smith but it would be much subtler and more sophisticated. At least that's my plan, or Sarah's if she beats me to it.

Didn't they try this already?

Also, if the original film is based on a book then it's not a remake, it's a new adaptation.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I would do Watchmen. My version would inherently have 80% less dumb action scenes, all the songs from Shrek revoked, and a good screenplay.

I would call Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes an abortion, not an adaptation. It tried to use elements from the book and movie and was a huge POS, like most of Tim's movies.

Tim made "tribute" to the books ending, but distorted that as well. I don't think Burton understands the philosophies behind the original movie or the book. He certainly paid no attention to them in his remake (other than the old "man is bad - he makes things go boom!" theme).

I will say that Tim Roth was awesome and sadly completely wasted in that movie. He was the only person who really knew what they were about. Everyone else sucked to the power of nine. Tim Burton as director most of all; what a disaster of a film.

The 10th Victim, for sure. The original is witty, has a great Morricone score and is quite satisfying. However, there are a few parts which could be improved (Mastroianni's problems with his ex-wife and his girlfriend) and they could get a little moe specific with certain weapons, such as alligators. I also think I could remake it with very little CGI because if you just use futuristic buildings and sets, that would be plenty. This would be something like the recent Mr. and Mrs. Smith but it would be much subtler and more sophisticated. At least that's my plan, or Sarah's if she beats me to it.
I thought I was initially the one who told you I wanted to remake this! And I read somewhere else about how a remake could turn out like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, though I had never thought about that... I'd always thought it was more sophisticated than that and maybe focused on the sci-fi aspect of it more.. And definitely very little CGI, yes.

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
Also, if the original film is based on a book then it's not a remake, it's a new adaptation.
And I totally agree with this. I want to make The Sound and the Fury, but I wouldn't consider it a remake of The Sound and the Fury (1959), it would just be my adaptation of the book, wholly separate from the first movie, which I have actually never watched...

I have not seen 10th Victim or The Sound and the Fury - I will check those out.

Rolling Thunder would be on my list. I'd keep it low budget. Actually there would be no reason to have a large budget on this film. Stay true to it's explosive violent nature maybe even go ultra violent keep it rooted in it's explotation side of things as well. Also would like to desaturated the color sceme of the film. Use maybe Kurt Russell for the Tommy Lee Jones character.

Zardoz 1974

I would agree - a movie needs changes in the script to give it "original" character. However, a true remake follows the original story, characters, and changes the script only in ways remaining true to the content and language of the original. For instance, I would completely rewrite lines and scenes for Zardoz but I would largely remain true to the story and use the same characters. But I would also heavily change the look of the film.
It's funny but, I really liked the visual conecpt of this film and Geoffrey Unsworth photography is mythical. I mention this only cause i'm wondering if you liked the cinemtography of Zardoz and would only be changing it to create your own visual signature or you didn't like the way it was photographed and thought it was completely wrong for the material. how would you change the look of the film ? put it in a city instead of the forest ? have them live underwater ? make the flying head more ship like ? change there technology more sophisticated in it's look ?

I want to remake Resident Evil and actually give the film a bit of flavour this time round. It would be based on the events of Resident Evil 2. My version would pertain more to the atmosphere of Alien and the thirst 3 original games. In fact, I say the first couple of acts would match the suspense of Alien, with key characters getting picked apart by random bio weapons that the spectator wouldn't be able to see properly. The 2nd half of the film will be more akin to James Cameron's Aliens where unlikely civillians gear up from abandoned gun shops and pretty much fight back with as much weaponary as possible and try to survive their way out of racoon city.

My version will featured more variety of antagonists not just zombies. Giant crocodiles, killer crows, zombified dogs, reptilian type creatures, etc. Zombies will be neither fast nor slow, they will have the physical capacity of a normal human being, except they will look like they are physically dead and have their mouths split open to release an infectious bite, similar to that of the reapers in Blade 2.

My DP would be Wally Pfister, my editor Dody Dorn and an ensemble cast of familiar yet under utilised actors so that the audience isn't sure of who's going to be the hero and who's going to bite the dust and ****.

ZARDOZ
- First, I would want to spend at least one weekend with John Boorman and discus his original vision.
- Next, I would try and keep all of his themes; the Oz character of Zardoz, the manipulation of wild men (exterminators) to kill each other, the whole repressed sex thing too and the impotency thing. It just needs a total scene and dialog rewrite and clarity made of some of the more esoteric ideas. It doesn’t need a whole new storyline.
- I love all of John Boorman’s movies because of their grand visual genius. My remake of this Boorman movie would be crafted as a tribute to his visual style. So, in many cinematography aspects it would mimic a Boorman film.
- The main things I would like to “change” would be costumes and makeup and sets and overall production quality. Boorman had less than a million to make a future concept film and that is hard for what he was trying to achieve. Being limited in budget, he employed many stage theatre tricks and just let it go as being a avant-garde piece.
- In my version, guns might become clubs and hatchets. That might be one change. Instead of more futuristic, I might go more savage and brutal. This is a movie about the repression and exercise of primal action, among two dozen other subthemes. It should be raw and visceral and “edgy.
- The film takes place in 2293 AD, so I would like to use for the opening scene a blasted and ruined city. I would also need a setting for “the Vortex” or the house where the immortals “live”. And a farm setting for the crop raisers.
- PLOT = see Wikipedia for a clear breakdown of the plot. Reading this, you will see how this story could really be done again with wide range of changes available for the new version and still remain true to Boorman’s ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zardoz

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Personally, I think that people should try to remake BAD movies and make them good. My personal choice would be to remake Police Academy. I mean it's a sound premise, screw ups trying to become cops, but cast it with actually funny actors, make the script a ton funnier, and you could really surprise people.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Excalibur is another of Boorman's movies I would love to do.

Brian Singer has that one - Excalibur (2012). It is the best material Singer has had yet to work with, but I don't know if he is up to the task.

Excalibur is another of Boorman's movies I would love to do.

Brian Singer has that one - Excalibur (2012). It is the best material Singer has had yet to work with, but I don't know if he is up to the task.
I don't think it would be bad just not great. What made Boorman's Excalibur fantastic to me is the passion he had for the material and the creative originality he was able to conjured up.

The Mountain Men (1980)

This would also make a great remake. The script is near perfect as is. Brian Keith is funny as hell.

"If I don't get some whiskey soon I'm gonna die!" - Henry Frapp (Brian Keith)

"You give us presents and we go in peace." - Cross Otter
"You can go in dogsh-t dingle balls, I've had about enough out of you." - Brian Keith
"Or we take! We take the horses!" Cross Otter
"That'll be after the fight." - Brian Keith

These are only two gems. Brian Keith has more great lines in this movie than the rest of his career combined.

King Rat (1965)

I read this twenty years ago while I was in the Navy. The 1965 film is a classic and by far George Segal's best film.

Due for a remake.
Not sure who should take George's place as Corporal King in the lead, but I think Paul Bettany would be perfect for the role of Peter Marlowe.

But can actors still pull off this kind of dramatic stuff?

insufferable know-it-all
Personally, I would love to remake Hannibal! I can't believe how bad that movie turned out. I love the book, and I would remake the movie to include Hannibal's sister, Mason's sister and Jodie Foster! I really wish the movie had ended the same way the book did, I loved to romance and understanding that developed between them. Hannibal and Clarice will always be my favorite couple.

I would also like to remake Phantom of the Opera. I have loved that story since I was a child and I really dislike what Schumacher et al did to it. Raoul was way too old, Christine had no depth, the phantom (don't get me wrong, I love love love Gerry!) was supposed to be horribly disfigured and approximately the same age as Madame Giry! I can't believe they changed the lyrics to "far from my far reaching gaze" to "far from my fathering gaze", seriously, they just messed up that entire film IMHO. I've seen it on Broadway NYC and that is how it is supposed to be done.

I can rant about Hannibal and Phantom for hours, but I will spare you - this time

I've not seen Hannibal for a few reasons, but the #1 reason was that I had the misfortune to read the book. I rarely read much fiction, but a good friend of mine gave me the book and asked me to read it. She didn't say anything about it, just gave it to me and said, "read that and tell me what you think."

About 3/4 of the way through I rang her up and asked her why she'd asked me to read this pile of horribly written crap? Her reply? "Because I wanted to make sure that it was as bad as I thought it was."