Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Star Trek Into Darkness 9/10

I get that hardcore Trekkies can't stand the new series. But seriously, JJ Abrams nailed it on so many levels. The plot was so satisfying coming from someone who follows the older series but doesn't consider himself a Trekkie.

As Tears Go By

Wong Kar Wai is possibly my favourite director but this, his first film, is not great. All the elements that make his later films great are there but unfortunately they are surrounded by a pretty poor movie.

Reasonably standard Hong Kong crime/action story that is elevated to an extent by a love story involving Andy Lau and Maggie Cheung. Cheung is, as always, captivating and she is the highlight of the film. She is one of the great actresses of our time but unfortunately most in the west have probably never seen her in a movie.

Most unfortunate part of the whole movie is a cantonese version of Take My Breath Away being used for an extended scene in the middle of the movie. Just awful.

Wish I liked it more but too many bad scenes and an ending that made no sense.

4/10

Do you consider yourself a Trekker?
Well, I pretty much only watched the original series and the movies. I never got into the later seasons. I always appreciated the original series for the stories. I would compare my appreciation to that of the original Twilight Zone.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011)

Fairly endearing tale that explores some pretty radicals ideas, although needs much more than eighty minutes to develop them. It also seemed too quick-witted for its own good. Despite this, solid chemistry between both Segel and Helms and a poignant touching ending makes this good comedy/drama.

Skyfall

7/10 - Major improvement on Quantum of Solace.

Like the fact Bond was the hunted at the end and not the other way round, still trying to understand why someone would allow themselves to be captured and then escape hoping to find their target in a certain place.

Brilliant yet terrifying, isn't it?
F**K YES! But the ending was brilliant! Even after all the sick and twisted stuff that is put on screen, at the end, hope for humanity. And I do not know what it is but there is something hypnotic about a David Lynch movie. I just can't look away. I want to take it all in.

Barton Fink (Coen Brothers, 1991)
-

This is a highly unsettling yet darkly hilarious film of brilliant wit and deep subtext. Probably up there with my favourites from the Coens.