Show your love for BATMAN RETURNS

Tools    

I hear lot of people stating bad comments about this one...

I know for sure Dark Knight is a better movie, but Batman Returns does a great job for character portrayals..

Tim Burton brings about a surreal and dark look to the Batman universe..

Michael Keaton was a horrible Batman & even worse as Bruce Wayne... but the character of Bruce Wayne in BR is far more of an outcast and disturbed than DK.

I am not inviting a versus thread for both the movies.. I just want people to share their view about Batman Returns.

A system of cells interlinked
I guess it's decent enough, but some of it just comes off as goofy to me, these days. The set design and art direction is clearly the strongest element...

Batman Returns is my favourite of all the Batman films, but then, I'd put the '66 Batman film second, so I'm not really in tune with most. Despite that, they're both much more enjoyable than the other Batman films, IMO.

yep... I just heard someone saying it was a crappy film... So I had to know everyone's opinion...

I always thought people had respect for this film.. It's still my fave Batman movie..

I love Dark Knight, but something about this movie makes it more special...

Semper Fooey
Batman Returns was better than Batman. It's biggest flaw is Burton isn't a strong story teller so the plot holes start piling up, but this one is more inventive than the first and it has Michelle Pfeiffer.

funny ending when the penguins drag the penguin in the water lmao

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Unfortunately I cannot show my real love for Batman Returns because this is a "family site", so

It is not so good as Dark Night but still a good movie.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I prefare Batman Returns to The Dark Knight hands down.

I think that Michael Keaton will always be Batman for me when I think of the films and he's just so darn sexy.

deathroman13
I find Batman Returns a very good movie..

the whole movie is dark and it has great actors in it like Christopher Walken..
and it is directed by tim burton and he is my favorite director.

I think Burton is a pretty shallow director - he's a much better art director - IMO. He was able to pull off some pretty damn good direction in Big Fish, but most of his films have pretty weak direction, relying on quirky visuals and set design to carry the show, which seems to work just fine for Burton.

I enjoy many of his films, don't get me wrong, but he can't stand up to folks like Scorsese, Polanski, or Kubrick.

I enjoy many of his films, don't get me wrong, but he can't stand up to folks like Scorsese, Polanski, or Kubrick.
And I don't think he intends to.. He comes from an animation background unlike the names you mentioned... he has his own style..

Have you heard of the term Burtonesque??... are there any other directors who have coined a new filmmaking style???

It's just that most of the time, his work gets interrupted by studios..

and judging by the fact he never read Batman comics, he still did a good job... I am sure if he had a better understanding of the comics, he would have made something far better...

Tim Burton has taken creativity to a whole new world.. he has never made movies and worked with Top actors to make his movies oscar friendly..

You can't compare directors like Burton, Tarantino, Rodriguez to Scorcese or Kubrick..

Semper Fooey

I think that Michael Keaton will always be Batman for me when I think of the films and he's just so darn sexy.

And I don't think he intends to.. He comes from an animation background unlike the names you mentioned... he has his own style..

Have you heard of the term Burtonesque??... are there any other directors who have coined a new filmmaking style???

It's just that most of the time, his work gets interrupted by studios..

and judging by the fact he never read Batman comics, he still did a good job... I am sure if he had a better understanding of the comics, he would have made something far better...

Tim Burton has taken creativity to a whole new world.. he has never made movies and worked with Top actors to make his movies oscar friendly..

You can't compare directors like Burton, Tarantino, Rodriguez to Scorcese or Kubrick..
Actually, I can do whatever I like, thanks. When talking about great directors, I will certainly include directors I think are *gasp* GREAT!

Also, thanks for the negative reputation for simply expressing my opinion about a director. My comment is on topic, and clearly adds to the discussion. You may want to catch up on how the rep system actually works on the site before you get click-happy on the thumbs down.

That said - Burton just isn't that great of a director, especially lately. If you think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is well directed, I don't know what to tell you except - you are wrong.

Great directors don't make terrible films like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Here's a nickle's worth of free advice - If you are going to start handing out negative rep simply because someone doesn't share your opinion, you will run into issues in the community, and fast.

I will reiterate: I like some Tim Burton films - I own several of them, and think the guy is pretty good sometimes - he just isn't a great director. I think you are mistaking his art direction and overall cinematic vision for his direction skills.

Also, I couldn't care less about the Oscars - not sure what that point is addressing.

As for directors that have coined a new film making style - How about Orsen Welles? Let's put old Batman Frippin returns up against Citizen Kane to see just how much style Burton "created". Burton completely apes Welle's style in some of his films, as doesn't everyone else. How about John Ford? John Huston? Martin Scorsese? Robert Altman? David Lean? David Lynch? Ridley Scott?

Want terms made up with their names? Heard the term Lynchian? How about Kubrickian? Altmanesque?

No, Burton doesn't hold the pole position on people tacking a director's name to a certain style or concept in film making. Not even close.

He towers over them ! Burton is a genius and if they would have actually listened to him on Batman - we'd have a scene where Batman throws someone into a giant pencil sharpener.

Honestly I thought Thumbs down was when one doesn't like the post.. sorry, had no clue about this.. shouldn't have used it without knowing what it was for..

I noticed that it can only be clicked on individual posts and not on the members whole score.. so i Thought it was relevant only to a single post, as to how many like it and how many don't..

sorry once again.