Identify this old B&W bicycle movie?

Tools    

It is old. It may be French, not sure. Definitely B&W. Set in a poor rustic village (South America? Mexico?) It is about a boy wanting a bicycle. The town is poor so remote and inaccessible that the nearest school teacher (priest?) can only visit there occasionally.

This boy passionately wants to have a bicycle but his father is opposed. The boy puts together one from metal pieces but his father throws it off a cliff, smashing it. The boy then makes a completely functional bike out of wood and so his father burns it. Finally, circumstance relent and a new bike arrives for him by train. The father's fears are realized as the same day the boy and bike are gone.

The climax comes when the boy and schoolteacher return. The boy has given the teacher the bike so he can return often to teach the kids.

If you know the film please email me, as I do not otherwise use this forum as a rule.
[email protected]
Thanks
Steve Lord

Kinda lame to ask people to email you. Especially since you could easily use a thread subscription to get an email anyway. Better chance of getting help if you don't make people jump through unnecessary hoops to help you.

(be that as it may, is the movie "Ladri di biciclette", English title either "the Bicycle Thief" or "Bicycle Thieves", an Italian movie from 1948?)

(be that as it may, is the movie "Ladri di biciclette", English title either "the Bicycle Thief" or "Bicycle Thieves", an Italian movie from 1948?)
I remember Bicycle Thief about a dad and son going around the town to find the dad's stolen bicycle he needed for his job in post-WW2 Italy. It wasn't about a son's bike.

Yeah, when I saw the title I assumed it would be that but the description didn't line up. Not that it matters, since the OP is demanding a hand-delivered response.