Are there too many superhero films?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think it was during Age of Ultron that I sat in there vowing never to go to cinema to see another superhero flick.

For me the formula has become very tired and predictable, constant rebooting and changing actors hasn't helped either.

I said in another thread recently that the highpoint of the so called Golden Age of the comic book movie was perhaps 2012 and things have gone gradually downhill since and will continue to do so. There have been exceptions in recent years, DOFP, Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 were all very good.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Are there too many <good> superhero films? Definitely not. If done right the new Hellboy and Venom can be a nice change of pace.

Some of the stuff can be played out. I was driving around yesterday and put in the GotG II soundtrack. I will neither confirm nor deny that I threw-up in my car. As much as I adore the original, enjoyed the the second the first time, the sequel and that saccharin soundtrack makes it hard for me to enjoy now.

It's hard to make a massive pop culture piece for everyone, but at least there are studios taking a spin on different.

The Superhero genre is pretty broad, although Wonder Woman and Guardians Of The Galaxy are Superhero films, they're very different movies. All 3 Captain America movies could be put in different genres.

So, for me, a definite no

Welcome to the human race...
There's only like ten a year max, that doesn't seem like too many to me.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm actually surprised we didn't get this many superhero movies sooner. I mean Marvel has been around for a long time, and they had some made for TV and straight to video movies in the late 80s and early 90s. However, they took so long to get a theatrical released movie compared to DC.

Why is that?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Lol Scarlet! I would say just too many fanbois aguing betweenDC and marvel so superheroes have become a sausage factory. I wonder who the big daddy is.

probably
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

This might just do nobody any good.
It might be that I’m not a real movie fan or something but I think the superhero hate is overdone. At their worst, they’re an easily avoidable nuisance. Plus they’re becoming great platforms for diverse filmmakers to launch into the mainstream.

... said the guy with the Thanos avatar.

It might be that I’m not a real movie fan or something but I think the superhero hate is overdone. At their worst, they’re an easily avoidable nuisance. Plus they’re becoming great platforms for diverse filmmakers to launch into the mainstream.

... said the guy with the Thanos avatar.
Idont hate them - I just avoid themif I dont want to watch. I just dont like the Marvel -v- DC rivalry; I just dont understand the whole My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad routine.

Who is Thanos? All sounds greek to me.

This might just do nobody any good.
I don’t know anything about the Marvel/DC “war”. I avoided it even as a kid.

Thanos is the villain in the next Avengers.

I don’t know anything about the Marvel/DC “war”. I avoided it even as a kid.

Thanos is the villain in the next Avengers.
I didnt know anything about it either until I came to this board, strangely enough. If you're bored you might be able to do a search (there was a huge brawl just after I arrived, started by a troll from outta town), but I doubt you'll ever get that bored.

Is Thanos Greek by any chance?

I'm actually surprised we didn't get this many superhero movies sooner. I mean Marvel has been around for a long time, and they had some made for TV and straight to video movies in the late 80s and early 90s. However, they took so long to get a theatrical released movie compared to DC.

Why is that?
In general, some theorize that comics had to break free of their stigma (as cheap, childish, unsophisticated, immature picture books for the simple-minded).

People attribute books like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns (1986) to bringing comics into acceptability and a perceived new level of sophistication with the general populace. (Many feel that it was that book that brought the first "modern" Batman to the screen in 1989.)

And not only did works by Miller, Moore, Gaiman, Morrison, and others bring comics into the general realm, but into the modern world of mature and controversial stories, dark themes and intense violence which made them prime candidates for movies.

I think a large part of what kept Marvel lagging in the movies was that many of their franchises got caught up in legal copyright issues (which they still seem to suffer from as various characters and teams cannot be used interchangeably in their movie universe - which was their hallmark in the comics - and they've even had to create multiple versions of the same characters to avoid franchise crossovers).

I didnt know anything about it either until I came to this board, strangely enough. If you're bored you might be able to do a search (there was a huge brawl just after I arrived, started by a troll from outta town), but I doubt you'll ever get that bored.

Is Thanos Greek by any chance?
In Marvel Comics, Thanos is a member of the Eternals - a race of virtually immortal superbeings that are an offshoot of humanity due to alien intervention in the human evolutionary process.

Thanos is the evil son of the Eternal's leader.

Indeed Thanos' name was taken from "Thanatos" a Greek god of death - which is fitting since the character of Thanos worships death.

Ooh thanks Cap. I think I like this Thanos character already