Trump vs Hillary Debate Thread

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Go Trump! You re my boy!

I was sick last night and came home late after a softball game, so I'm just watching this in the background this morning.

One of Trump's worst habits is his penchant for making vague allusions to things without explaining them. Like, he name drops "Sidney Blumenthal." And that's good: there's significant evidence to suggest that Hillary really is the start of the birther stuff (not that this in any way absolves Trump of pushing it for years). But he doesn't explain what it means. He just says the name. His diehards know what he means. People who stare at cable news all day (as he reportedly does) know what he means. Nobody else does. I think he's done this like a dozen times in the first half-hour. Most people have no idea what he's talking about.

"You'd be in jail" was a good line, I admit. If that was the most provocative thing he said or did, I think he's actually be the refreshingly blunt candidate his supporters seem to think he is. He's also giving a very good Obamacare answer as I type this. And he hit her on the emails pretty well. She continues to be demonstrably dishonest and evasive about this.

I haven't gotten to the Raddatz part, which I've read a bit about, but I'm already mad in anticipation. Moderators are not supposed to provide content; they're supposed to organize the arguments and questions. I'm okay with them pressing candidates who don't answer questions, but once they start arguing with the candidates, they're no longer moderators. This happened with Romney in 2012, too, it's ridiculous, and it's always slanted in the direction you'd guess.

Republicans should insist on debate reform in 2020.

Man, Trump is so bad at this. "They said she lied about TPP." WHO IS THEY?

It's even worse because he's right: she did lie about her support for TPP. She completely flipped on it and then pretended she didn't. But that's the whole election: Hillary lies about stuff, and Trump can't even point it out properly, or else says or does something absurd to distract from it.

Republicans should insist on debate reform in 2020.
They need a mod that wont be intimidated, a 3rd party both sides would respect and agree on.

I wonder if Trump assumes people know what he's talking about, just can't articulate in detail, or doesn't really know himself. He's so often vague that all three are probably true at different times.

I don't know if you guys remember a pastor from California holding a debate between Obama and McCain. The format was both candidates got asked the exact same questions and were alloted the same amount of time. The difference was one candidate was in a sound proof room during the others turn. It was a fantastic format and one I would be 100% for, because people can't act like decent humans anymore. We think it can't get nastier, yet it always does.

That was Rick Warren, at Saddleback. And yeah, it was great. There's some value to the back and forth, but if you're not actually going to let them argue with each other, then you might as well just separate them entirely.

Personally I'd be fine with no moderator. If someone tries to shout the other down, it's not like people won't see what's happening. But if you think we need one, okay: then have them be incredibly strict. Either really hold to the format, or don't have one.

I don't know if you guys remember a pastor from California holding a debate between Obama and McCain. The format was both candidates got asked the exact same questions and were alloted the same amount of time. The difference was one candidate was in a sound proof room during the others turn. It was a fantastic format and one I would be 100% for, because people can't act like decent humans anymore. We think it can't get nastier, yet it always does.
Comparing apples to apples, I like the idea! It should be done for the third debate. I also, ironically, liked Trump's own debate format idea, of a no holds barred, unmoderated debate. That would be good fun.

I wonder if Trump assumes people know what he's talking about, just can't articulate in detail, or doesn't really know himself. He's so often vague that all three are probably true at different times.
Yeah, I agree completely: it's all of them.

There are lots of reports about how poor his attention span is. He's constantly just consuming cable news, flipping around, saying something and then moving to something else. He's clearly just cultivated this messy, digressive style of thinking for a very long time, and it's just how he operates now. And while at first that can just mean using a lot of shorthand, eventually the way you think and the way you talk rub off on one another.

So at this point, I think he would genuinely struggle to explain these things in detail, just as he has any time he's been asked to describe anything in detail, really. He probably just remembers "Sidney Blumenthal something something reporter something birther."

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think some of what Trump says is smart... He knows over 80,000,000 people are watching. We all expect CNN and NBC to discuss, refute, correct the following stuff the next day, and I'm sure 80 million aren't going to see them. I also never underestimate first impressions.

Also, his use of humor helps. He had some funny lines, funny faces, and most people love to laugh.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Would Hilary even have a shot if she wasn't facing Trump? Like just some normal Republican (not a Bush though). She is just deplorable, a liar, and master of saying lots without saying anything at all.

If he loses, Trumps legacy.....I cant believe Im saying this, if he loses his legacy might have changed politics for the better from this point forward. Candidates are about to become alot more human and accessible in speeches, appearances, and hopefully will be more upfront. He was right in that political correctness can put a stranglehold on oneself, and policies (not his words), Im hoping if someone else comes from the public sector and runs in the future that they know what theyre hell theyre doing, especially if they win.