Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

@nope1172 @derek vinyard: fully agree w u guys.Lord of the rings & ET were overrated. Speak of under rated..The big Lebawski is an example.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Let's see, Shakespeare in love*, Crash*, the Artist*, The English Patient*, Atonement, Spotlight, Frozen, Boogie Nights, Moulin Rouge*, Matrix, Eyes Wide Shut.

(Remember, cause this mistake happens alot, when I say these movies are overrated, I still think they are okay, save for a few marked with a *.)

How is Crash overrated? I've never heard anyone say a good word about it.
Well the academy gave it best picture for some reason, it somehow has a 75% critic score and 88% audience score, with all the basic people that feel obliged to like it because it's about racism. I'm getting a little mad just thinking about it.

Eh i suppose. Its Best Picture win was very controversial though and ever since then it has gotten pretty mixed reviews not to mention that other than the odd critic everybody seems to hate it.

Eh i suppose. Its Best Picture win was very controversial though and ever since then it has gotten pretty mixed reviews not to mention that other than the odd critic everybody seems to hate it.
And don't forget the people that think they're obliged to like it, man that really pisses me off.

I liked Crash.

IMO the most overrated movie ever is among movie critics, Man with a Movie Camera (1930), it's a History Channel commercial that goes for 1 hour. Innovative? Yes. Good? No. Another one that is overrated is Kiarostami's films but nobody in Iran likes him, it's more of a western pretentiousness fad, because his stuff is so brutally boring that if you are hipster you are supposed to like it.

Most overrated animation? Snow White (1937), pretty mediocre film more famous for its influence than its quality.

Most overrated anime? Barefoot Gen (1983) is pretty unconvincing in its depiction of the atomic bombings and the suffering after. Another one is Cowboy Bebop (1998), good stuff but not the transcedental masterpiece some think it is (like Kiarostami is a western fad but it's not super popular in its country of origin).

Gosford Park

The Town

Slumdog Millionaire

I shouldn't bite, but you're wrong.
Don't set me up for dissappointment.

It's one thing to say it's good or even exceptional, it's another to cement it as the uncontested benchmark "greatest movie ever made".

Taxi Driver, 2001, and Eraserhead are grossly overrated as far as I'm concerned.

Star Wars is ridiculously overrated too, and I LIKE Star Wars.

Welcome to the human race...
Agreed. It's so obvious that a movie forum that has been up for more than 5 minutes will have an overrated thread. People need to use search more.
Doesn't matter, this is going to be the new "overrated films" thread and it'll gather a bunch of replies because it's right here and it's easier to just post in the latest thread rather than try to figure out which of the older threads should get bumped instead and eventually this thread will attract less and less attention until someone else comes along and does the same thing. Same as it ever was.

Citizen Kane. Haven't seen it, but I can't imagine a world where anything lives up to that level of hype.
Watch the film before you make a judgement. It deserves the majority of its praise.

I shouldn't bite, but you're wrong.
Is the correct answer.

IMO the most overrated movie ever is among movie critics, Man with a Movie Camera (1930), it's a History Channel commercial that goes for 1 hour. Innovative? Yes. Good? No.