The Dark Knight (possible spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

Definitely funny at points. Though I've found that, when a film is very tense, it's a lot easier to make the audience laugh, because they're actively looking for something to break the tension. So much of humor is circumstantial. Thus, while a man dressed up like a nurse isn't really all that funny by itself (unless you're a fan of Benny Hill or something), it becomes downright hysterical for some in The Dark Knight. It's funnier because there's more contrast between the film's baseline mood, and the joke itself. By making most of the film more serious, the comedy becomes more striking.

This doesn't always apply, of course. Some films are so deathly serious that humor would just feel out of place. But thankfully, The Dark Knight isn't that sort of film.

Lets put a smile on that block
For anyone interested, i went along to the Dark Knight European premiere recently and got up close with most of the cast, and even the Batmobile itself.

Have a wander over
/videos if you fancy having a gander. I will be uploading the rest of my videos from the premier tonight and tomorrow.

I will say one thing for sure tho, Christian Bale has a massive mole under his right eye and it is quite distracting. Photoshop city most of the time I guess…

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah, I noticed that in the films he's in.

Suspect's Reviews

I liked:
Batman imitators
Joker (Ledger blah blah, he was a well written character too, which a lot of people seem to be overlooking)
Focus on characters other than batman (heroes and villains)

Didn't like:
the predictable and cliche human bomb scene and the dumb-ass cops. "Oh my god, the Joker's a twisted genius!" --> no he's not, you cops are just imbeciles, at least in this instance. Apparently nobody in Gotham has ever seen any of the ****** convoluted snuff-thrillers that inundate our reality. Guess I can understand, it's kind of a slummy town, they probably spend all their time watching Disney and 1930s screwball comedy.

I saw The Dark Knight the other day and thought it was the best sequel to a reboot, or the best remake, in superhero history.. who wouldnt go along with me?? Its fantastic.....

I think it's the best superhero movie yet! The Joker wasn't an annoying jackass, but rather a sadistic antagonist. The story structure and pacing gives you whiplash, while also not seeming too long or drawn out. In summation, it was PERFECT!

...uh the post is up there...

I have to say that I do think it was a bit long, and that my friends is a compliment.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A big long what? No, I think you mean a "bit" long, and I agree that about 20% of the first hour could have been chopped, but what do I know? I've only seen it once. I'm trying to finagle some of my "friends/family" into going this weekend before we're off to Alaska.

Well yes I did mean bit , heh. Anyway I so loved many scenes that the good scenes paled in comparrison to the outstanding ones. I was greedy watching this movie I admit, but as a comic book fan I have no complaints.

I was very confused to hear that Echkart will be back for the third film as two face. Isn't his death at the hands of Batman one of, if not the most critical point in the movie? The Joker made Batman break his one rule, unleashing Harvey's dark side into Gotham, and forcing Batman to kill him

I was very confused to hear that Echkart will be back for the third film as two face. Isn't his death at the hands of Batman one of, if not the most critical point in the movie? The Joker made Batman break his one rule, unleashing Harvey's dark side into Gotham, and forcing Batman to kill him
I havent heard anything about the next one except that the Riddler might be the next villian. And yes, didn't Two-Face accidently get killed in TDK? Unless I missed something.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Yeah, I also loved the way he walked. He had a really awkward way of carrying himself across the street that I really enjoyed, and then of course he stops and has his moment of absolute comedy brilliance.

I understand that there are a good number of folks that can't or won't be able to laugh at that scene no matter what simply because he is blowing up a hospital... but man the scene is just electrifying and mesmerizing.
Oh wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. This is my favorite scene and I laughed out loud (so did quite a few in the audience.)

I saw it again last night and I am so incredibly in love with Heath's performance! I loved everything about the nurse scene -- his speeches, the way he moved around Harvey, the Dent sign on his uniform, the fact that he sanitized his hands when he walked out and yea, that walk!

They gave him great lines to work with, but his execution is what was so amazing.

My favorite bit (besides the nurse scene): When he mouths "six" after he asked the cop, "So how many friends of yours have I killed?" and the cop answered.

And for anyone who hasn't seen Brokeback Mountain -- well, after you see that, you'll know that we've lost a great actor.

OK, I deleted a similar post elsewhere because I decided it was too confrontational, but I'll bet anyone, who can back up their bet, that Ledger is nominated Best Supporting Actor. The people who actually believe it's too early must not understand how acting can make a good script, or a bad script better, or can even save somebody's ass. But Heath was working surrounded by people he apparently considered his own family because otherwise, there's no way anybody can just let it all hang out if they don't have that freedom and support. As far as male performances of the 2000s, I'd place it in the Top Five. I'd have some Philip Seymour Hoffman and some Daniel Day-Lewis in there too, but c'mon now.

I won't be taking that bet Mr. Eff, I think he'll get nominated and I think he's going to win it as well. How about it mark, you going to be on for the Oscar chat a bit more next year so we can bask in our glowing warming glow of Oscar prediction stardom?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Mark, I agree 100%. He will be nominated. And it is one of the best performances of this decade and will always be remembered, imo.

Just wanted to add that I don't think that fact that he passed away plays into this AT ALL. I think everyone would be praising this performance no matter what.

I will try to arrange it, but we always have a get-together over here on Oscar Night, and everybody has to submit a ballot. Even if he didn't realize it, F F F F F Pike won last year, beating me by one friggin' vote. Oh sure, I won compared to people I was present with, but I can remember (Old People need their Olde Time Memories) destroying Holden at another site a scant few years ago.

Oh, well. I think that's my new line.

Oh no problem buddy I know you have full house there during the show. I was just busting your chops a little. I wasn't able to chat much either because I was to lazy to drag a TV into the puter room. I will be making the adjustment this time around though.

Do you reckon that all of this hub bub will help the ratings some? I'm sure it can't hurt.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Christopher Nolan for a Best Director Oscar too. Great director, undoubtedly his best movie to date, probably the best superhero movie of all time - I reckon we'll see his name on that list...

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Christopher Nolan for a Best Director Oscar too. Great director, undoubtedly his best movie to date, probably the best superhero movie of all time - I reckon we'll see his name on that list...
Sure hope so man. Totally agree that it is the best superhero film to date...and not just because of all the hype surrounding the picture right now.