Watchmen

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Opening night - hells yeah. Especially since opening night in Australia is about two days ahead of opening night in America (just like with The Dark Knight).

I think the flaws in Australia's movie distribution system are starting to even out a little...

Just picked up the graphic novel yesterday and it doesn't dissapoint! Super psyched for this movie, I heard about the comic from my friends older brother in the early 90's and didn't realize it was this cool! Must've watched the trailer like 6 times already.

A system of cells interlinked
Well it looks like one of those weird movies is what I mean.. Look at Donnie Darko or Southland Tales.. They sort of have the same formula.. Horror and action meets comedy that ruins the whole movie.. It just doesnt look like it would pay up... Then again I'll have to see this movie no matter what happens, because it does somewhat look interesting..
While they are certainly weird, neither of those films are super hero films, either. I mean, Donnie Darko has some Hero overtones, and a couple of tongue-in-cheek hero jokes, but Donnie Darko has more in common with The Last Temptation of Christ than it does with a Batman film. Donnie isn't a horror film, either, although at time of release, some of the marketing led people to believe it might be. Shame on the marketing agent for that.

As for Southland Tales, that certainly isn't a superhero flick, nor an action flick, and it was never billed as such. Southland Tales was part parody, part satire, part vicious political polemic. Donnie Darko is a fantastic film, btw.

Southland Tales is pretty rough, but I like it.

As for Watchmen, the source material is dark, and I think the film will follow suit...I hope.

Not sure what you mean by weird, as that is such a subjective term.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
Morbid Pig, Watchmen is like the antithesis of comedy, there is not one funny part in it.

But anyway, that My Chemical Romance BOB DYLAN COVER will probably ruin the movie for me... worst choice ever? Probably! Does Snyder know the kind of people that read Watchmen???? They don't listen to the horrific My Chemical Romance, especially covering one of the greatest musical geniuses, Bob Dylan. Seriously, people should make a petition to make this not happen.

Anyway the trailer was really cool seeing the comic in action but other than that... thruthfully it looks like 300 except with super heroes. I don't understand this faith in Zach Snyder, 300 is nothing like Watchmen. Looks like they're focusing on action... which there is little of in the book. I have a feeling it's going to suck... that makes me sad

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

I'm definitely looking forward to Watchmen. Serendipitously, while I was at my cousins house, I found the complete graphic novel and am currently reading it. Though I am scared that the movie will completely kill the comic and get the entire mood wrong, but we'll see I suppose.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I read that they are cutting back on the action for more story. Which I like.

and I chuckled during the novel...

Jacobi in the fridge and the "cool off" line. That is gold.

Suspect's Reviews

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.

Where did they say that? Link? Just curious because the trailer didn't make it seem like that, but then again it is a trailer. I'm fluctuating on whether I think its gonna be brilliant or suck, I genuinely hope its the former!

I found something funny about this part...

WARNING: "Watchmen" spoilers below
Ozymandias' line during the second-last chapter where he talks about the attempt on his life: "I suppose I'd have had to catch the bullet, wouldn't I?" and then gives this really amusing Mona Lisa look at an exasperated Nite Owl.

A system of cells interlinked
Moore's writing is really something else. I will have to pick up a copy of the graphic novel, as I dread reading my first print issues I have boxed at my house.

Currently starting The Invisibles, speaking of comics.

I just got done reading the graphic novel. Can't wait for this movie.

It was a really good novel , but some of it I didn't care for - like the side comic that the kid reads throughout the whole thing. I felt the ending was pretty rushed in the novel too.

There is a lot of stuff I hope that is done differently in the film actually - more character development , better dialouge , and again , a better ending.

Hold the phone.

You want there to be more character development, better dialogue and a better ending...

I don't see how you can really improve on any of the stuff that was already in the novel. It was pretty much perfect as is.

Plus, without giving anything away, changing the ending at all would defeat the entire point of the Watchmen story.

Speaking of which, care to explain why it wasn't that good?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Hey Iroquois and TUS, remember how I said I got Watchmen, well I'm not done reading it and I have to stop, because I need to finish another book and do a report on it

There is a lot of stuff I hope that is done differently in the film actually - more character development , better dialouge , and again , a better ending.
That which any reader did not like is probably something that Moore was aiming for, and it is worth asking oneself just what it is that one did not like and why--prompting a deeper examination of how the text is interpreted as well as one's expectations. Jennifer McMahon wrote a good essay on this in the book The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer.

WARNING: "ending" spoilers below
I didn't think the twist at the end was bad - i meant the 10 concluding pages. I can't tell if John kills Rorshach or not - if not , his character is completly thrown aside at the end. If Rorshach was not killed , then what happened to him afterwards ?

Now for the dialouge , there's nothing wrong with it in the comics. But , it's obviously going to have to be changed to be in a film - I'll get some specific lines later if you aren't convinced.

Originally Posted by Lennon
Hey Iroquois and TUS, remember how I said I got Watchmen, well I'm not done reading it and I have to stop, because I need to finish another book and do a report on it
No rush, dude. The movie doesn't come out till March.

I didn't think the twist at the end was bad - i meant the 10 concluding pages. I can't tell if John kills Rorshach or not - if not , his character is completly thrown aside at the end. If Rorshach was not killed , then what happened to him afterwards ?

Now for the dialouge , there's nothing wrong with it in the comics. But , it's obviously going to have to be changed to be in a film - I'll get some specific lines later if you aren't convinced.
How can you not tell? Manhattan bursts Rorschach apart and walks away from the scene which is covered in bloodstains and red mist. So, nothing happened to Rorschach afterwards - his diary, on the other hand...

Also, no, I'm not convinced. I'd like to hear what some of the specific lines are.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You better not want that "cool off" line out, cause I'll kill you.

And again, if you are asking what happens to certain people at the end, then I must ask if you even read the novel....again.