Who should the next Batman villian be?

Tools    

@ Rufnek : Mxzylptlk (if I spelt that right I should get a freakin award!) is indeed a superman villain from another dimension.He would definitely turn a credibility gap into a chasm however.He's not green though . . . .Maybe you're thinking about a Poppuppian from the Fantastic 4 or The Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?

This series of films is known for its realism, though. Nolan has removed any material that seems otherworldly or impossible. In this version, The Joker is a maniac that got scarred during childhood (or so he says, he is a psychopath), so he is much more believable. Nolan has attempted to put human characters with real human problems in this series, and, I think the accolades the films are getting speak volumes.

Nolan took the "Super" out of the Super Hero, and the result is a much more engaging and believable series. I am actually curious what your take would be on The Dark Knight. Even if that stuff isn't up your alley, the film stands well as just a crime drama, as well. If you decide to give it a shot, make sure to post some thoughts on not only the film, but what you think of the attempt to make this stuff not only believable, but relevant and important.
I'm not sure if you were addressing me, Sedai, but I'll take a shot at it. I grew up when the original Batman comics were popular, and that's the Batman I know. I've seen a couple of the "Dark Knight" Batman comics, and my general impression is that it's the film noir of comics with brooding, self-assessment by Batman who, like Spiderman, is thought by some to be a hero and by others, including police, to be just another criminal. (That's the sort of thing that the Lone Ranger used to run into--What? A masked man on the side of the law? ) But soul-searching and self-analysis, fear of giving in to "the Dark Side," can be interesting if it doesn't go overboard like Marlon Brando's portrayal of Fletcher Christian.

So not knowing the comic book series and having not seen the movie, I'm not in any position to "judge" or even assess the film and I won't. I did see parts of the earlier film (Batman Returns?) on TV, never a full viewing, but I gather that Bruce Wayne, who some think is dead, learns his fighting skills from monks in Tibet, then returns home and with the help of his butler Michael Caine and a technical expert in what used to be the family industry, Morgan Freeman, he rigs uo all the fanciful Batman gadgets we all love, including that Batmobile that has more high-tech dodads than the space shuttle and is faster than a NASCAR winner and more rugged than an Army tank. The villains in that first film looked fairly normal, although the guy with the crazy mask and powder isn't exactly your average Dr. Kildare.

All I've seen of Heath Ledger's Joker is in print, so I don't know if he wears a strange costume and makeup other than that streak of lipstick. And apparently he got his unusual face in a knife-fight or something, compared to Jack Nicholson's Joker who gets dunked in toxic chemicals. Knife fights are more common in real life than toxic waste accidents, so in that sense perhaps Ledger's Joker is more grounded in reality than Nicholson's strange personna. Still, presenting one's self in a way that makes one stand out from the crowd usually is not a good move for criminals--look what happened to John Gotti when he started attracting attention.

As I understand it from one review I've read, the Joker "sets up what he calls a social experiment that's meant to show the malign essence of human nature." Now that's not the normal thing one would expect a criminal or a psychotic to do, either.

Anyway, at the core of this creation, you've got a rich young man who plays the playboy during "office hours," but then becomes this secret, strangely attired vigilante who uses whatever fighting and other powers that he learned from some kick-ass monks in Tibet, along with prototypes of all the martial technology his daddy's company cobbled together for World War 3, incuding the afore-mentioned jet powered auto. And he does this in a city so corrupt that only a handful of cops and one lawyer in the DA's office (at least that's what I surmised from bits of the first movie) are honest enough to be trusted--a little. A guy who can appear out of nowhere, disappear in a blink of an eye, hang upside down, jump from one highrise rooftop to another, and shoot the pimento out of an olive at 50 feet.

When you start with a main character like that, any talk of eliminating "other-worldly or impossible material" seems to be said with tongue in cheek.

As for saddling superheroes with normal human problems and woes, that reminds me of the line in My Favorite Year: "I don't need my heroes to be lifesize! I need you bigger than life!"

It doesn't surprise me that the film is doing good box-office. The Batman franchise has a built-in audience, as does the Black Knight series with its large fan-base. Ledger's death and the resulting publicity about his posthumus next-to-last role just increased the anticipation for this film. A similar thing happened to Giant after the death of James Dean.

I, however, am not familar with Ledger's work, although even the critics who don't like The Dark Knight say his Joker is "the movie's annimating force," thanks to his "startling performance." But the movie is so far off my radar screen that I didn't even consider it when I went to the movies last weekend (I assume it was in the theaters by then).

Instead, I went to Mama Mia! (my wife's choice) not expecting much since I never was an ABBA fan, didn't like Disco, and until lately never cared much for Streep, other than her roles in Death Becomes Her and Devil Wears Prada. So I was surprised to find that Mama Mia! is the most enjoyable film I've seen in years. A funny and exuberant musical with no special message and a completely unknown (to me) cast except for Streep and Brosnan (who I also never cared much for).

I only went to Batman because a lady I was dating wanted to see it (she had already bought me a Batman T-shirt), but I liked that movie. So I may see The Dark Knight some day. I never say "never" any more.

A system of cells interlinked
I was addressing you, yes. Sorry for the confusion. If you liked the Tibet film you mention, which is the first in this series, I think you would probably like The Dark Knight, except for one or two of the situations. Give it a go if you get a chance!

@ Rufnek : Mxzylptlk (if I spelt that right I should get a freakin award!) is indeed a superman villain from another dimension.He would definitely turn a credibility gap into a chasm however.He's not green though . . . .Maybe you're thinking about a Poppuppian from the Fantastic 4 or The Great Gazoo from the Flintstones?
You're right--even the name sounds, uh, seems familar now. I had a hunch I was high-jacking him from Superman. As for the others, the Fantastic 4 was waaaay after my comic book days. Looked at some of my kids' comics, however, and found them too mundane with too many human faults and problems and nothing like the superheroes I grew up with. Couldn't name any of their villian, much less Poppaloo or whatever. Also was never into the Flintstones. I don't care much for prime time cartoons.

bokscutta
i personally would love to see Hush tied into a storyline. because the dark knight focused so much on Bruce Waynes morality, and Hush was a childhood friend of his. also the black mask would be pretty cool because Nolan likes the noir touch. or deadshot too.

Question --- have any of the villians in any of the batman films ever been made up and created for the screen?, or have they all come from the comics?

reservoir dogs circa 1881
all the major villains to my knowledge come from the comics,only ones im not sure about are sugar and spice from batman forever

It has been decades since I read Batman comics and I never was a fan of the campy TV series, so I don't know the full list of villians that Batman faced. However, I seem to remember a little green guy from another dimension who used to pop up in some Super Hero story line. Maybe it was Superman instead of Batman, or maybe it was both. But I'd like to see what movie magic they'd use to create a villian no taller than a dwarf but much skinnier. Maybe they could create him like that character in Lord of the Rings, a computer image based on a real person's movement.

Even if such a character doesn't exist in the Batman comics, what's wrong with inventing a new villian, especially now that the comic book company is making its own movies? Realism doesn't have to play a part. After all, the whole line of Batman villians--Joker, Penquin, Cat Woman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze--were the comic book results of life-changing events that real humans could never survive.

But if they have to have a "conventional" villian, go with Cat Woman--people will always buy tickets to see a good-looking woman dressed in vinyl.
Could you have been thinking of the Green Hornet, maybe?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Has any one thought it could be awsome to make come up with a new type of bad guy that no one has seen yet?

A newly updated Riddler would be excellent. I guess Joker is finished for good...?? How could anyone ever top Ledger.

A person is smart. People are dumb
I think Catwoman could work, as they need a new love interest, and lets face it, the girl needs some redemption from her last film...
The Riddler would be good, although i must say Mr Freeze or the Penguin would be a blow for me.
They could always do the same as Spiderman and suppliment it with lesser villains like Killer Croc.
Finally, they could make the trio of the Gotham Girls.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
The only Batman villians I can see working in the Batman universe are Catwomen.

Raul Al Gouhl's daughter (whose name i forget) which I actually think is a good idea because it could create a good conflict and a hottie into Nolan's batman.

The Penguin could work is they just make him like a ruthless buisness man.

And, the Riddler would work but they have to make sure he isn't too much like the Joker

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Could you have been thinking of the Green Hornet, maybe?
Naw, I used to like the Green Lantern superhero comic books that were popular in my childhood, but I never was into the Green Hornet radio and television programs.

A newly updated Riddler would be excellent. I guess Joker is finished for good...?? How could anyone ever top Ledger.
Well, Nicolson got a lot of praise from fans and critics for his role as The Joker in Batman in the 1980s. Many said at the time his was the definitive interpretation of that character. Then 20 years later, along comes Ledger and a new audience that swears he's the best. Chances are good that history will repeat itself maybe in another 20 years with another hot new actor and another young audience with no emotional investment in and little memory of today's hot film.

Some years ago, lots of folks figured James Bond was gone forever when Connery retired from that role. Lots of folks (me too) think he was absolutely the best Bond ever. But just look at how many Bonds have followed successfully in his tracks. As one Bond film advised, Never Say Never.

Two-face, or Penguin. Riddler wouldn't be too bad either.

One of my favourites though is Mr. Freeze/Mad Hatter.