Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

First off wow!

I can't even believe how many excellent, excellent films are being blasted in this thread. some of you guys are exceptionally hard to please it seems.

I can only laugh at the comment that Tarantino is a 'scene stealing hack' though. that's why he single handedly re-imagined and introduced the gangster genre in the 90's for an audience that had never been exposed to that style of film making??@!

he is obviously not the most original filmmaker on the planet but he is extremely clear in stating that with the obvious homage to genre films in all his films. that's sort of the whole point.

In terms of films like Apocalypse Now, Shawshank, The Departed, Citizin Kane, taxi driver, Exorcost...these are all masterpieces! sure not everyone's cup of tea but the point is they have ALL made an exceptional impact on the film world and film makers. to say they are overrated is kind of silly because they are the films that filmmakers hope to make....to achieve a level of filmmaking like those films. I think the lines are being blurred between films that are constantly talked about and compared vs. actual overrated films.

Event a film like Titanic I can't agree was overrated because it's technical CGI achievements were very impressive therefore it served it's point in film's progression at the time.

A movie like American Gangster however was overrated, first of all the Mother didn't deserve that Oscar nod because she was in the film for like 10 mins and here parts were average at best. But at the time I heard one critic even say it surpassed the Godfather as crime story, that American Gangster was a better film than the Godfather! Now that is retarded and overrated.

Apologies if I'm being too blunt but it's truly ridiculous when armchair critics sit back and pick apart legendary films like this, not what true film lovers should be all about. But then again, this is a free world so obviously everyone's can hold an opinion on anything and be vocal about it.

I agree on Crash, I was not a fan of that film, at all. As for The Godfather, I just can't agree, at all. Same with The Graduate.

I just have to post:

Battle Royale (Fukasaku, 2000)

Why, oh why do people like this poorly shot, poorly written piece of GARBAGE? I barely made it through this thing.
I can see how you don't like the over the top writing/acting , but poorly shot !?

This is one of the best shot films out there - pictures can't even do the action scenes justice.

A system of cells interlinked
Fair enough Meat. It's shot pretty well, but not great, and certainly not one of the best filmed works out there. That said, I am in a kooky mood today, so I am popping this thing back in my Netflix queue to give it another go. Maybe I will like it more this time now that I know what I am in for... I was disappointed after all the hype this thing got.

You ready? You look ready.
Woah, totally gotta disagree with this one. For one, The Prestige really did not get that much hype. Secondly, it was damn good. The acting, the story, the editing. All top-notch. Yes, I must disagree.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Fair enough Meat. It's shot pretty well, but not great, and certainly not one of the best filmed works out there. That said, I am in a kooky mood today, so I am popping this thing back in my Netflix queue to give it another go. Maybe I will like it more this time now that I know what I am in for... I was disappointed after all the hype this thing got.
I think most the hype Battle Royale gets is from the fact it's the first exposure most people have to Asian cinema and as a result like to name drop it to look more cultured. Regardless, i still like it a helluva lot, it's got some nice set pieces and pretty appealing premise that lets it travel well from word of mouth.

*passes out*

Tell me this is joke...

First off, Armageddon is TERRIBLE. Just a piece of overblown crap, and yes, quite overrated.
I believed it was panned by critics? Overrated means that people, especially the critics, believe it to be a wonderful movie when you actually don't see what the big deal is.
The Girl With The Pearl Earring( I think looking at the painting for 2 hours would be more exciting)
Lord of The Rings (dull, dull,dull)

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry, but, Lord of the Rings is anything but dull. The pacing is perfect, the characterizations well done and engaging, and there are plenty of exciting scenes to move the films along. These films were an achievement on many, many levels. If you aren't a big fan of fantasy material, I could see you maybe just not buying the world etc. but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would agree about the films being dull. I certainly don't agree.

Also, I am well aware of the definition of overrated, but thanks for attempting to clarify. Someone else had actually listed Armageddon as overrated though, not me. I was just agreeing with them. I was commenting on Suspect's listing of films like The Godfather with my *passes out* comment.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Battle Royale is one of my favourite films, it's like a live action anime. What other film out there has young kids killing each other with random weapons from handguns to a pot lid?

Suspect's Reviews

After seeing the Dark knight it really crystalizes my answer, Batman 1989 was waaayyy overrated.

...uh the post is up there...

Overrated is not a great word.

I think no film is overrated when the rating comes from yourself.

If I said that The Great Escape is the best film ever then to me that may be true (I don't but I love that film all the same) but to someone else they may think it is the worst film of all time and then say that the film is overrated.

However I love the fact that this post has got so many people into a lively debate.

Anway best film ever DIRTY DANCING -- JOKE LOL

Braveheart - I know it seems that everyone loves this film, but I really hated it. It's the very definition of a "The fight scenes are great" film. If that's the first thing that someone says about a film after I ask what they thought of it, then I can be fairly sure that I don't need to see it. It's not good, it stars Mel Gibson and it was the Hollywood 'joke' Scottish film that year (Rob Roy being the one that actually had a good script. After all the success though, they changed their minds and gave Braveheart the Oscar nom for Best Screenplay) So it's a huge hit, it wins Best Picture (among others) stars Mel Gibson, is loved by everyone except me. I won't bother with the historical inaccuracy of the film, as it's a feature film and not a documentary. That, and it's about the legend of Wallace and not the facts. Having said all that, the fact that it's called "Braveheart" and is about Wallace and not Robert The Bruce (whose nickname Braveheart actually was) will always rankle.

Bladerunner - Another crap film (and yes, I've seen the directors cut too) This one is just plain old overrated, as I can't believe the amount of people that love it. I just put it down to the fact that it's sci-fi and people that like sci-fi, like most sci-fi and those that don't, don't.

Though if we're talking about influence, then I certainly wouldn't call it overrated as it's obviously influenced the look of sci-fi almost since its release as well as films of other genres. Also, I think it was the first directors cut to be released onto home video (as it was then and show there was a market for that) and one of the first directors cut's to get a release.

Some people really like this movie

It's so horrible , I can't even comprehend how anyone could enjoy it.

Crash - extremely overrated in my opinion.

I found the story incredibly contrived, heavy handed and self righteous. The whole thing relies way too heavily on coincidence, and had me constantly rolling my eyes throughout. I agree with the film's message, it's sentiment is very worthy, but I don't like having it rammed down my throat. The fact that everyone bowed down declaring the film a masterpiece just annoyed me further. As soon as someone makes a film about racism, people turn into mindless sycophants on mass. I'm not saying it's a bad film, but it's certainly not a masterpiece, disappointing.

Welcome to the human race...
And Magnolia is the poor man's Nashville/Short Cuts.

(at least that's the impression I've received wherever I've looked. For the record, I actually liked Magnolia.)

10. Titanic
9. Spiderman 3
8. monster ball
7. the return of the mummy
6. the exorcism

and that is all I could thing of right now.