The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Had Big at #23. As others stated, it's just a fun movie and Tom is SUCH a kid in this.
I've watched We Need To Talk About Kevin for the Women Directors HoF but did not make the list.

Watched: 32/98
#1 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
#2 Titus
#3 The Matrix
#4 Voices
#5 Strange Days
#6 Ravenous
#7 Yentl
l#8 Morvern Callar
#9 It might, maybe
#10 The Ascent
#11 Chocolat
#12 Little Women
#13 Orlando
#14 Maudie
#15 Kung Fu Panda 2
#16 The Dressmaker
#17 Tank Girl
#18 A League of Their Own
#19 Johnny Dangerously

#20 Home For The Holidays

#21 Belle
#22 The Hitch-hiker
#23 Big
#24 Still possible
#25 Hope and a prayer for this one

Welcome to the human race...
#2.
American Psycho

(dir. Mary Harron, 2000)

1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 5th, 2 x 6th, 1 x 7th, 3 x 8th, 1 x 11th, 2 x 12th, 1 x 13th, 1 x 15th, 1 x 16th, 1 x 22nd, 1 x 23rd, 1 x 24th
=
314 points

Did not enjoy American Psycho when I finally saw it last year, not even a little bit. Was really expecting to love Bale's hammy performance, but even that fell flat for me. Feels like this might be one of those films that if you see it at a certain age then you really respond to it. That ending too...not good.

I liked the first half of American Psycho, but not the second half. Like so many movies, it had to get 'bigger' in the end. I like films that kept it smaller. I'm not a fan of grandiose endings.

My review:

American Psycho (2000)

I'm of a mixed mind on this one. I really liked the first hour of the film. I loved the dark satire of the whole 1980s Wallstreet-Yuppie-Greed thing...it was brilliantly done. It was great how Patrick Bateman's anti-social psycho killings were driven by his deep insecurities, and by his need to be a name dropping rich snob. I loved the whole send up of the 80s stuff, that was cool.

Christian Bale nails it! I liked his character. He's quite charming in an odd way...and that's why I liked the first hour so much. Patrick Bateman was personable just like Anthony Perkins was as Norman Bates. Clearly the movie Psycho has inspired this movie.

In the first half of the movie the killings weren't too graphic, so were tolerable for me as they were done with a tongue in cheek humor, which also reminded me of Heathers.

In the second half the film gets more real and more darker as Patrick goes completely over the edge and the body count rises...And that's where I stopped liking the film, as it then took on the feeling of a slasher movie and I never liked those. Patrick 'eating' the first woman and then naked and covered with blood chasing the prostitute down the hall with a chainsaw seemed like a popcorn slasher scene. Which to me ruin the brilliant narrative of the first half.

Here's my list

1. Blackfish (Gabriela Cowperthwaite)
2. A League of Their Own (Penny Marshall)
3. Across the Universe (Julie Taymor)
4. White Material (Claire Denis)

5. We Need to Talk About Kevin (Lynne Ramsay)
6. Big (Penny Marshall)
7. The Last Supper (Cynthia Roberts)

8. Ravenous (Antonia Bird)
9. The Hitchhiker (Ida Lupino)
10. Awakenings (Penny Marshall)
11. Frida (Julie Taymor)
12. American Psycho (May Harron)
13. The Virgin Suicides (Sophia Coppola)
14. Near Dark (Katheryn Bigelow)
15. An Angel at My Table (Jane Campion)

16. Wadjda (Haifaa Al-Mansour)
17. Whale Rider (Niko Caro)
18. The Babadook (Jennifer Kent)
19. Titus (Julie Taymor)
20. West of Memphis (Amy Berg)

21. Zero Dark Thirty (Katheryn Bigelow)
22. Little Women (Gillian Armstrong)
23. Jesus Camp (Heidi Ewing, Rachel Grady)

24. Mudbound (Dee Rees)
25. Megan Leavy (Gabriela Cowperthwaite)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What's with all the American Psycho hate, every scene is hilarious.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules;1953366[B
My review:[/b]

...In the first half of the movie the killings weren't too graphic, so were tolerable for me...
In this case I should probably suggest that you don't read the book

I saw American Psycho when it was new and didn't really like it but it's one the those films I'd really need to watch again.

In this case I should probably suggest that you don't read the book

I saw American Psycho when it was new and didn't really like it but it's one the those films I'd really need to watch again.
I don't read books.

Yes! Another one for my list:

#73 Children of a Lesser God Randa Haines
#72 Clueless Amy Heckerling
#66 Thirteen Catherine Hardwicke
#62 Something's Gotta Give Nancy Meyers
#47 Real Genius Martha Coolidge
#45 The Heartbreak Kid Elaine May
#34 Wayne's World Penelope Spheeris
#22 Monster Patty Jenkins
#21 The Piano Jane Campion
#16 The Babadook Jennifer Kent
#17 Sleepless in Seattle Nora Ephron
#13 Awakenings Penny Marshall
#10 Zero Dark Thirty Kathryn Bigelow
# 8 Near Dark Kathryn Bigelow
# 6 The Hurt Locker Kathryn Bigelow
# 4 Big Penny Marshall
# 2 American Psycho Mary Harron

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
a warm, feel-good film for anyone who enjoys hearing the delicate nuances of what makes a really enjoyable Phil Collins album. I had American Psycho at #24

American Psycho

My complete favorite moment of the film, that little crazy dance he does before going psychotic is right up with there with Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs dance.

Moments like that, the spouting of album sleeve critiques and those spurts of unhinged instances about mundane things is where this film is at it's best. And, of course, Bale is exemplary at pulling it all off. We see the false calmness of the waters with unfelt concern for fellow human beings and then we witness the waters begin to churn at what is causing it just below the surface as it inevitably rises up in a frenzy.
A great role and one that he truly shined in.

Sadly, the ending and how it really takes you out of everything previously is pretty offsetting.
It's like finishing a meal and you come to realize something and ask: "Wait - what did I just eat?!"
From my limited research even the director thinks she got it wrong, attempting for the vagueness but she didn't want people to think it was entirely in Bateman's head, which, now on my second viewing, it can very easily be construed that way.

And I will leave it at that, since the rest of the film is pretty d@mn brilliant and keeps your attention throughout. Been wanting to revisit this since i finally got to watch it a year or two back and very happy to have done so.

Watched: 33/99
#1 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
#2 Titus
#3 The Matrix
#4 Voices
#5 Strange Days
#6 Ravenous
#7 Yentl
l#8 Morvern Callar
#9 Michael

#10 The Ascent
#11 Chocolat