The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Feel similar to Cricket. It's pretty fun but i don't think it's great so i didn't vote for it. It's better than Big at least though, this sites fascination with that film is so weird to me.
I haven't seen Big in twenty years probably. I have no real desire to go back to it either, and I am a pretty big Hanks fan.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Point Break was my No.5. If I could meet any celebrity in real life, it was probably be Keanu Reeves.
If it would ever happen, please take me with you

I forget about Maudie as being direted by woman. I like it but it wouldn't making my list.
Speaking of Bigelow, I much more prefer Point Break than The Hurt Locker.

I have a feeling I won't have seen any of the top 5 in the countdown.
You saw We Need To Talk About Kevin and American Psycho in the Hall of Fame. The others are: Big and Lost In Translation.

You saw We Need To Talk About Kevin and American Psycho in the Hall of Fame. The others are: Big and Lost In Translation.
Bloody hell then I saw all of them. Liked all too except, We Need To Talk About Kevin.

You should one day. It's nothing outstanding, but very enjoyable
I just never liked Patrick Swayze. Although I did enjoy Roadhouse. But that had more to do with Sam Elliott and Jeff Healey.

I just never liked Patrick Swayze. Although I did enjoy Roadhouse. But that had more to do with Sam Elliott and Jeff Healey.
I understand I'm not saying this movie is gorgeous, but it is classic classic, but what is more important from MY point of view - there is Keanu Reeves in it

I understand I'm not saying this movie is gorgeous, but it is classic classic, but what is more important from MY point of view - there is Keanu Reeves in it
Say...have you seen Keanu in The Gift (2000)?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's obvious Point Break is my #1.
Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)

This will always be one of the better action flicks with an actual point which I've ever seen. I know people who think the entire flick is camp, and if that's the only way you can enjoy it, then I say that you should go for it and try to have a good time. However, even though the lead cast consists of Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, and Gary Busey, I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever in proclaiming this Bigelow's best film. I don't want to discuss Near Dark or The Hurt Locker right now. I just want to let this surfing/footbal/skydiving/bankrobbing/ex-presidents/FBI flick bask in all its brilliance as a one-of-a-kind comedy-thriller. Yep, I take every single scene at face value which you laugh at as either unintentional comedy or "hilarious" discussion of how people can seriously try to live without being put under the heel of "The Man", at least cinematically-speaking. I have no problem with the flick at all; in fact, the one camp thing about it, John C. McGinley's "I got a stick up my ass but I'm gonna ride you anyway" superior officer to be GOOD, INTENTIONAL camp. Sure, the flick's all about male bonding, but it's directed by a woman, and one who's been around enough of 'em to understand them all. Hell, she was married to James Cameron. Two more things to mention: Lori Petty is terrific playing a very tough role, and this film has the greatest chase on-foot which I've ever seen.
Seen 96/96
My List
1. Point Break (5)
2. Olympia (41)
3. Olivier, Olivier (76)
4. Wonder Woman (17)
5. The Piano (21)
6. The Hurt Locker (6)
7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (14)
8. 13th (51)
9. The Matrix (20)
10. Boys Don't Cry (11)
11. A New Leaf (67)
12. Europa Europa (24)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (38)
16. Awakenings (13)
17. The Heartbreak Kid (45)
18 Triumph of the Will (-)
19. Sleepless in Seattle (15)
20. Frida (49)
21. Harlan County, USA (71)
22. Bound (90)
23. Near Daek (8)
24. A League of Their Own (19)
25. Detroit (40)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This might surprise some people, but The Hurt Locker was #23 on my list. I almost didn't even watch it, but it aired on TV in the last week of finishing up my list, so I watched it. I wasn't going to watch it because I didn't really think it had a chance to make my list, but I thought it was a very good movie.

I considered Point Break for my list, but it's been many years since I've seen it, and I couldn't find the time to rewatch it before submitting my list, so it ended up getting cut from my list.

I'm pretty sure that I'll only have one more movie from my list that will make the countdown, and which movie it is probably won't surprise anyone.

My list (so far):
1) Mamma Mia! (Phyllida Lloyd-2008)
5) You've Got Mail (Nora Ephron-1998)
9) Real Genius (Martha Coolidge-1985)
10) What Women Want (Nancy Meyers-2000)
12) Sleepless in Seattle (Nora Ephron-1993)
16) The Holiday (Nancy Meyers-2006)
23) The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow-2008)
25) Across the Universe (Julie Taymor-2007)

Welcome to the human race...
I will say that I'm a little disappointed that Lady Bird interrupts what could have been a five-film streak by Bigelow. People should've voted for it more or less.

Welcome to the human race...
#4.
Big

(dir. Penny Marshall, 1988)

1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 5th, 2 x 20th, 1 x 9th, 2 x 12th, 3 x 14th, 1 x 15th, 1 x 16th, 1 x 21st, 1 x 23rd, 2 x 25th
=
245 points