Camo's 2018 Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

[center]
The Witch

Was already a fan of this but it went way up after this spontaeneous rewatch. Such a gorgeous film and despite this going against the themes this comes close to The Exorcist in putting across an "evil" atmosphere to me. Dunno how to describe it really it's just the music, visuals and those dang woods. Has replaced Trouble Every Day as my favourite Horror of the 21st Century.

One of my favourite movies of all time. I think the jarring cuts that are kinda like jumpscares but not exactly add to the 'evil' atmosphere. I wrote a review of the film if you're curious.

I wrote a review of the film if you're curious.
Link it.

I started reading this immediately after watching it haha:

It's a history book not a horror one but i'm interested in the societal reasons for the witchcraft hysteria (i've read loads about the similar Satanic Panic in the 1980's) and how everything came about exactly.

Good to see you starting one of these, repped the posts with ones I've seen and will read them more at my leisure during the day. As for The Ring / Ringu, rewatched them both for the October thingy last year and still prefer the remake but there isn't that much between them for me.

Nights of Cabiria

This was an incredible film. It feels the most "classic hollywood" of the four Fellini's i've seen so far, have to imagine it was heavily inspired by Hollywood of the 30's and 40's, and 50's even it kinda reminded me of The Bad and the Beautiful at times another incredible film. Giulietta Masina wins my actress of the month award from this and La Strada alone. Love how both of the characters she plays are really depressing but in completely different ways, in La Strada she is very naive and helpless and in Nights of Cabiria she is a street wise hothead, yet both you feel terrible for. The impressive thing here is Fellini doesn't try to get you to like her at first, she's an aggresive loudmouth and while she has reason to be so we don't see her any other way for a long time. Our introduction to her as an actual person with feelings and desires isn't some contrived she is actually wonderful she was only having a bad day thing that never rings true. She flits in and out of her good and bad moods like actual people do and it all feels so natural, because of this i grew really attached to her and definitely felt all of her ups and downs from the hotel scene with Alberto on especially. That look she gives the sleeping Jessy was just incredible, the film is telling you what her character is feeling but Masina absolutely sells it and turns it into something more meaningful. The film was full of moments like that even things that on the face of it were over the top: the "help me become a better person" scene especially worked so well thanks to her performance. She is so dang adorable, with her constant hostility at the start i was wondering how they were going to fit that in as it's clearly a defining trait. By adorable i mean her facial expressions and movement, her smile even, it's all so important to her performance. They of course got it in with her acting like a kid in Disneyland around Alberto and his lifestyle, so many great moments during that part. My favourite may have been the dance scene just with how tiny she was, and her silly moves, amazing. So yeah i'd say this was one of my favourite ever performances and i'd credit Masina above Fellini for the success of this film, it was gorgeous and he wrote it though so i'm definitely not discounting his contribution. I mean that ending, damn. Great film.

This was my fourth Fellini, i'd have this second behind 8 1/2. Watching I Vitelloni soon, i remember reading somewhere that Kubrick named it his favourite film so hopefully it withstands that insane endorsement.

+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 4 Fellini and would rank them as such:

1. La Dolce Vita
2. I Vitelloni
3. La Strada
4. 8 1/2

I don't really remember specifically why but I despised 8 1/2. Haven't seen it in awhile though

Link it.

I started reading this immediately after watching it haha:

It's a history book not a horror one but i'm interested in the societal reasons for the witchcraft hysteria (i've read loads about the similar Satanic Panic in the 1980's) and how everything came about exactly.
Camo, you should read this...its a hard read but interesting...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum

This book was used during the witch hunts to persecute ppl for witchcraft...

I have many many books on witchcraft and wicca...

Real witches dont believe in Satan or any deity similar.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Gonna have to rewatch Ringu as well, only seen that once about a decade ago. At the time i preferred The Ring but i think that was because Ringu was a lot more understated something i didn't really have the patience for then but could most likely appreciate more now.
been about the same time for me as well. Curious to see if it freaked me out as much as it did at the time. The Ring, no where as near as I remember.

I've only seen La Strada but it was enough to make me love Masina.

I would have thought you'd have seen more Fellini
I meant of Masina's films. Of Fellini, I've seen 8 1/2, La Strada, La Dolce Vita, and tonight I'm finishing up Amarcord. So still not that much.

Glad you’re doing this thread, now for the love of god get an avatar! Quite a few so far I’m looking forward to and you beat me by 1 for the month dammit.

Camo should get avatar of Hugh Dancy...for some reason its how I picture him looking similar too...no clue why.

I've only seen La Strada but it was enough to make me love Masina.
Definitely watch Nights of Cabiria. She is very different but evokes the same types of emotions. She is really incredible, wasn't aware she was Fellini's wife until today that makes total sense.

Camo should get avatar of Hugh Dancy...for some reason its how I picture him looking similar too...no clue why.
haha. That's weird Daniel M pictured me as Desmond from Lost:

Gonna take this as a hint that i should grow a beard.

haha. That's weird Daniel M pictured me as Desmond from Lost:

Gonna take this as a hint that i should grow a beard.

Camo?

I just saying .. I see you that way.. I dont know why.. .I heard your voice before... I tend to picture how people look