Soviet Films

Tools    

Selected movie of mosfilm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosfilm
Go get them on youtube
Thanks that's perfect.

While not about the Soviet Union i don't think this sounds interesting - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Cuba

The film is shot in black and white, sometimes using infrared film obtained from the Soviet military[2] to exaggerate contrast (making trees and sugar cane almost white, and skies very dark but still obviously sunny). Most shots are in extreme wide-angle and the camera passes very close to its subjects, whilst still largely avoiding having those subjects ever look directly at the camera.

Selected movie of mosfilm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosfilm
Go get them on youtube
Thanks that's perfect.

While not about the Soviet Union i don't think this sounds interesting - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Cuba

The film is shot in black and white, sometimes using infrared film obtained from the Soviet military[2] to exaggerate contrast (making trees and sugar cane almost white, and skies very dark but still obviously sunny). Most shots are in extreme wide-angle and the camera passes very close to its subjects, whilst still largely avoiding having those subjects ever look directly at the camera.
i havent check them all and that one does sound weird lol. I guess those blyat in the past just need to buy the kodak rather their own production film stock

i havent check them all and that one does sound weird lol. I guess those blyat in the past just need to buy the kodak rather their own production film stock
I worded that awkwardly btw. I meant "I don't think this is from the Soviet Union, it looks interesting though", just in case there was a misunderstanding because it kinda sounded like i was saying it doesn't sound interesting.

This is what i'm looking forward to the most - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobe...hook_the_World

Should be interesting seeing one of the early masters of cinema portraying a very generous to the Soviets version of the Revolution around the time it happened. Already saw a few of the Lenin scenes, dude was great he is Lenin to me more than Lenin is haha.

I am Cuba is Kalatozov's aesthetic masterpiece in my opinion. If you are going to watch it you'll see for yourself and I don't want to detract you a bit from the experience but let's just say that it does things with the camera that look like magic even today.

I worded that awkwardly btw. I meant "I don't think this is from the Soviet Union, it looks interesting though", just in case there was a misunderstanding because it kinda sounded like i was saying it doesn't sound interesting.
i missed that completely

Red Army (2014) I was surprised at how much I liked this documentary about the Soviet's world champion hockey team and how Moscow controlled their training and lives.

It was pretty great and I don't even like hockey. It's pretty insightful and good story telling too. That's the only one that comes to mind.

Red Army (2014) I was surprised at how much I liked this documentary about the Soviet's world champion hockey team and how Moscow controlled their training and lives.

It was pretty great and I don't even like hockey. It's pretty insightful and good story telling too. That's the only one that comes to mind.
That's a great rec, sounds interesting and not something i'd expect from this thread. Thanks.

The guys on the Soviet team were best friends and they went through hell together, literally.
I'm a bit nervous about how true it will be, think the Soviets are often exaggerated for propaganda purposes; a kinda we need to make this sound as bad as possible to make sure Communism doesn't grab hold again sort of thing. It is a Russian/American production though and as you said it's good storytelling, so even if i'm skeptical i'll most likely be able to enjoy it as a film.

Plus Herzog is an executive producer

I'm a bit nervous about how true it will be, think the Soviets are often exaggerated for propaganda purposes; a kinda we need to make this sound as bad as possible to make sure Communism doesn't grab hold again sort of thing. It is a Russian/American production though and as you said it's good storytelling, so even if i'm skeptical i'll most likely be able to enjoy it as a film.
I didn't get the feeling it was exaggeration for propaganda purposes. Truth in film, is dicey...that's always true. I bought it at face value, it seemed to be more of a personal story told against, known world events.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Plus Herzog is an executive producer
I agree so much with that, the bias... I didn't notice much anti-American or anti-capitalism with the 15-20 MosFilms I've seen... The only instance I can think of is in Soy Cuba, the rich white man and his exaggerated American accent who leaves a prostitute after the husband comes, yet has so little respect, he still waits until she replies to "Goodbye Betty" (and he was a wiry wimp, too!)

"BETTY???"
(lol)

I agree so much with that, the bias... I didn't notice much anti-American or anti-capitalism with the 15-20 MosFilms I've seen... The only instance I can think of is in Soy Cuba, the rich white man and his exaggerated American accent who leaves a prostitute after the husband comes, yet has so little respect, he still waits until she replies to "Goodbye Betty" (and he was a wiry wimp, too!)

"BETTY???"
(lol)
The worst for me was Ninotchka, to me it was ridiculous. Basically Garbo is a joyless a-hole as a Soviet then when she discovers Capitalism she is a princess. Mark disagreed with me on this so maybe i'm reading into it too much, that's what i felt anyway. Posted this about it:

The comedy didn't work for me, one of the most baffling things about that is i spied right away that Billy Wilder co-wrote the script. His comedy may be the most effective on me in classic films, he was one of four writers though and i don't know how much of it was his. The communist jokes especially were very obvious, guess they worked back then when films hadn't begun regularly taking shots at communism but now they are pretty mild and dated. There's also some smug backpatting in it: the silly communists fall in love with the way capitalists live the moment they see it, i know it's a comedy but it's still offputting as you can tell it confirmed the extremely simplistic thoughts of the more uninformed members of the public and also it makes it seem like Soviets are either idiots like the three men or humourless hardas$es with hidden hearts of gold that only capitalism can set free - Garbo. It's hard to blame anyone involved with the film though as during this time you most likely had three choices when portraying Communism: portray it like this, portray it as stereotypically pure evil with no rhyme or reason, or don't portray it at all. I know nothing of Lubitsch political views and i'm kinda curious, i know that Wilder was complicated opposing the HUAC but that being more likely due to his being against people being persecuted for political beliefs rather than communist leaning. Could be wrong though. Anyway my main problem with all of that was that i didn't find most of it funny, offputting as well which most likely played into it.

Im still not sure what you mean by "about the Soviet Union" so Im going to recommend almost anything by Tarkovsky by definition. But Ill also recommend Little Vera which is hardly a perfect film but touches on the collective hopelessness of living in a blighted dead end part of the soviet union as it decayed toward Perestroika.

Im still not sure what you mean by "about the Soviet Union" so Im going to recommend almost anything by Tarkovsky by definition. But Ill also recommend Little Vera which is hardly a perfect film but touches on the collective hopelessness of living in a blighted dead end part of the soviet union as it decayed toward Perestroika.
Yeah it's very vague because i don't really know what i want, i'm fine with allusions to it or allegory's or whatever. Thanks for the recs.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
No tagging needed! I'm here! But too lazy to recommend! And RYM has no country tag feature (unless you make it yourself, but imagine tagging 5400 films...), so I will have to be brief and only give you one:

Zerkalo (1975)
I wasn't aware You are such a hugh fan of Soviet Movie's. Goo to know