The Danish Girl (2015)

Tools    

120 min | Biography, Drama

Release Date: 27 November 2015

The remarkable love story inspired by the lives of artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili's groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer.

Director: Tom Hooper
Writers: David Ebershoff (novel), Lucinda Coxon (screenplay)
Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Alicia Vikander, Amber Heard, Matthias Schoenaerts

Trailer #1:

Well, obviously I'm watching it.

They were here, on location, shooting the film, but ufortunately I missed it. They even redid all of Nyhavn (New Habour) to make it look like the 1800s. Old cars, old shipping boats; everything.

I'll get to see all that on screen though when it's released and know that in fact it is actually Denmark and not a CGI piece.

LGBT. Period drama. November release. A former Oscar winner sharing the screen with a talented newcomer. Tom Hooper's credit. This might be the baitiest bait ever made. Hooper is the Hollywood equivalent of white bread. It's a tasty and functional product but there is absolutely nothing interesting about it. I love Les Mis in spite of Hooper's intense desire to ruin the film with extreme close ups and poorly CGId crane shots, and The Kings Speech is such a blah winner, especially when we could have had the best Pixar movie ever, the best Fincher movie ever, the smartest summer blockbuster in decades, or a live action Satoshi Kon movie. It will probably be good and it will probably win awards, but I don't want it to. There are plenty of more interesting stories to be told by more interesting people.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't think Hooper is an exciting director, I read that Tomas Alfredson was attached to it at one point which would have made it more interesting. But Redmayne was most likely cast before he won the Oscar. As for a November release date - that may be dangling the film on a hook for the academy but that's how film scheduling works, it's not exactly a summer blockbuster, is it?

LGBT. Period drama. November release. A former Oscar winner sharing the screen with a talented newcomer. Tom Hooper's credit. This might be the baitiest bait ever made. Hooper is the Hollywood equivalent of white bread. It's a tasty and functional product but there is absolutely nothing interesting about it. I love Les Mis in spite of Hooper's intense desire to ruin the film with extreme close ups and poorly CGId crane shots, and The Kings Speech is such a blah winner, especially when we could have had the best Pixar movie ever, the best Fincher movie ever, the smartest summer blockbuster in decades, or a live action Satoshi Kon movie. It will probably be good and it will probably win awards, but I don't want it to. There are plenty of more interesting stories to be told by more interesting people.
Oh so you have seen the movie I can hear?

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
One thing I've always found quite odd is that a straight actor is hailed for portraying an LGBT character, yet an LGBT actor doesn't get a second look for portraying a straight character. In fact, if I remember rightly, then very few LGBT actors have actually received an Oscar nom yet alone the statuette.

In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that out of the 384 acting Oscars that have been given out, only 3 have went to LGBT actors, Joel Grey and Jodie Foster, but even then that was long before Grey publicly came out

One thing I've always found quite odd is that a straight actor is hailed for portraying an LGBT character, yet an LGBT actor doesn't get a second look for portraying a straight character. In fact, if I remember rightly, then very few LGBT actors have actually received an Oscar nom yet alone the statuette.

In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that out of the 384 acting Oscars that have been given out, only 3 have went to LGBT actors, Joel Grey and Jodie Foster, but even then that was long before Grey publicly came out
For a variety of reasons, basically none of the best gay actors in the world do film roles. In plenty of cases they're just not talented enough, and it would be stupid to overcompensate by giving too many roles to LGBT people, but there are quite a few gay Broadway stars that won awards and never caught on in movies. Alan Cumming is my favorite theater actor ever, and his only notable film role was a side character in a superhero movie over 10 years ago.

Oh so you have seen the movie I can hear?
No? I intentionally used phrases like "might be" and "probably" and talked mainly about the politics of the film and Tom Hooper's previous works, two opinions that I can make without watching the film and two opinions that won't change when I do watch it. This could very well be a fantastic movie, but I don't like how it feels like a transparent beg for awards and I don't like the previous work of the director or lead actor. If I think it's fantastic, it will be because it is so well executed that I can ignore the politics leading up to it, and Redmayne and Hooper might deserve Oscar wins in 2015 but that won't make their 2014 and 2010 Oscars any more justified. It could be the greatest movie ever, I could acknowledge it as the greatest movie ever, and neither of those two claims would be invalidated. Obviously Redmayne is here to stay, so I want to be able to like him, but I thought his Stephen Hawking was very good but without the wow factor of Michael Keaton or Jake Gyllenhaal.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
For a variety of reasons, basically none of the best gay actors in the world do film roles. In plenty of cases they're just not talented enough, and it would be stupid to overcompensate by giving too many roles to LGBT people, but there are quite a few gay Broadway stars that won awards and never caught on in movies. Alan Cumming is my favorite theater actor ever, and his only notable film role was a side character in a superhero movie over 10 years ago.
I do see where you're coming from, but people like Sir Ian McKellen have yet to receive a win and yet actors of inferior calibres like Sandra Bullock have managed to picked up one
It's estimated that the LGBT community accounts for 5-7% of the total population I think, so applying that here, that's something like 19-25 that should have gone to them? (I'm really not good at maths, so I'm sorry if that's wrong!) I just think it's drastically disproportioned, and the total number of nominees is far worse, I'd be surprised if the total number (of nominated people) went into double figures in all honesty.
But I do agree about overcompensating, that would be silly too, but I do think there is a pretty big double standard in this regard though.

I'm sorry as well, but I'm not very well informed about the theatre world, although I probably should be!

I do see where you're coming from, but people like Sir Ian McKellen have yet to receive a win and yet actors of inferior calibres like Sandra Bullock have managed to picked up one
It's estimated that the LGBT community accounts for 5-7% of the total population I think, so applying that here, that's something like 19-25 that should have gone to them? (I'm really not good at maths, so I'm sorry if that's wrong!) I just think it's drastically disproportioned, and the total number of nominees is far worse, I'd be surprised if the total number went into double figures in all honesty.
But I do agree about overcompensating, that would be silly too, but I do think there is a pretty big double standard in this regard though.

I'm sorry as well, but I'm not very well informed about the theatre world, although I probably should be!
If I didn't make it clear, I agree. It's totally disproportionate. I just think that the problem starts with not casting LGBT people in great roles, not voters shying away. The problem isn't that Oscar voters are scared of McKellan winning, it's that McKellan has never been in a movie with Oscar worthy contender writers or directors.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
If I didn't make it clear, I agree. It's totally disproportionate. I just think that the problem starts with not casting LGBT people in great roles, not voters shying away. The problem isn't that Oscar voters are scared of McKellan winning, it's that McKellan has never been in a movie with Oscar worthy contender writers or directors.
I've just looked now, because I was certain there must have been at least one, but you're actually quite right, just skimming through, there's nothing there that screams an Oscar rob. Still, I think it's just a little odd nonetheless.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw a trailer for this yesterday.I would advise you that if you're at all interested in this film, best avoid this trailer. It seemed to show pretty much the entire plot, every emotional up and down. I now don't feel like I actually need to see the film.

Of course I might be wrong, maybe that was just the first half an hour and there is a massive twist half way through with the film changing direction completely. But I doubt it.

Awesome i watch this movie trailer and i think this is best biography drama movie. I m ready to watch this awesome movie