Nightcrawler

→ in
Tools    

cannot wait to see that movie !!

Two weeks in a row...first Nightcrawler and then Birdman, strange movies that I have to see again. They usually don't come that close together.

.....I still prefer Network though (which is one of my favorite films of all time), because it's a much richer movie overall. The insanely brilliant dialogues and speeches, the subplots, the twists, the more extreme and absurd nature of the whole film and of course the fact that Network is one of the first films that ever put the finger on the TV news industry in such a sharp and satirical way makes it a much grander movie and spectacle than Nightcrawler.

My final rating for Nightcrawler would be
+. It's a really well executed film and doesn't really have any glaring flaws. It grabbed me and kept me entertained during the whole ride, but at the same time it didn't go to very unusually brilliant places either.

It's a darkly comic thriller with a brain, which is always a joy to watch.
While these two movies have similar content, I'd probably give Network an edge. In Nightcrawler, the evils of the media come from the actions of a guy who is a serious sociopath. In Network it happens due to the actions of supposedly "normal" people with too much career ambition, scarier in my estimation. In addition, I thought the dialog in Network was just excellent, some of my favorite movie writing.

Nightcrawler

This is a film where the leading actor ( Jake Gyllenhaal ) is also the bad guy . There are no real good guys in the film at all , at least they don't have any important roles .
Also , nothing much is told about the leading actor's background ( as to where he came from ) and he seems to have no relatives or friends ; no father mother sister brother wife girlfriend is shown---he seems to crop out of nowhere....

The film begins with Louis ( Jake Gyllenhaal ) committing outright crimes of the petty variety---like stealing a security guard's watch after assaulting him and stealing a bicycle and selling both to raise money . He has seen a camera crew filming the aftermath of a car crash , and wants to kickstart his own career of being a nightcrawler....

So what are nightcrawlers ?? They are camera crews which stalk the city searching for footage of accidents , homicides and other crimes . Lurid footage of dead people and blood is welcome , for the footage is sold to third rate TV stations which earn their income by keeping viewers hooked on to scenes of crime , and rely upon their ability to make the city sound unsafe to engage the viewers . Footage of white people being attacked by minorities is most sought after , in order to make them paranoid about their own safety....
It's a cutthroat profession , with several camera crews vying for the best angle to film the lurid footage---and so it needs people who are willing to bend the rules , and it needs them desperately....

Obviously Louis feels he is perfect for the profession , for no one is ready to bend the rules like he is....
And he is encouraged into doing so by Nina ( played by Rene Russo ) , the director of the TV station that he sells his footage to---it takes two to tango , and Nina is like minded to bend the rules an extra bit just like Louis in order to get some extra zing for her morning news .

But even Nina could be shocked by the extent to which Louis goes to get sensational footage.....while he begins with going into crime scenes restricted by the police and moving dead bodies to get a better camera angle , he soon crosses all limits when he decides to CREATE the news himself for some exclusive footage....obviously we are not dealing with a normal person here but a sociopath....

And anybody coming in the way of our sociopath's aims is in danger....

So how dangerous can he be ?? And what happens next ?? Can be ever stopped in his atrocious attempts ??
Watch the film for that....

The film stands tall on one man's acting performance---lead actor Jake Gyllenhaal has put up a powerful performance as a scumbag who strikes gold in a seedy profession which thrives on the talents of people like him . He is articulate---extremely so , and reads the internet constantly to gain knowledge . And he is an extremely glib speaker who can ensnare the person who he is talking to with his persuasive skills . Add to it a criminal mind , and you have a diabolical combination .

Renne Russo ( Nina ) plays the aging bitch with still intact sexual charms---and Louis ( played by Jake ) can hardly withhold his interest in her . And as he brings her more and more lurid footage their faces come closer and closer in each encounter and conversation---and electricity sparks the air....

Rick ( Riz Ahmed ) is Louis' assistant in camerawork , and he is doing his job because he has no other source of money ; he is homeless . But he doesn't know what he has bargained for while taking a job with a person like Louis , and is on the way of getting into trouble....

Obviously the movie does not create a great image of the small time TV channels and the people who run them ; one wonders if people like Rene Russo's character are everywhere in the profession---greedy and with no ethics .

But above all ,the depravity of the character played by Jake Gyllenhaal just sucks , it just sucks...
And the triumph of the director lies in exploring this depravity to the maximum , and making the audience get shocked at his remorselessness....

The climax is chilling , or is it preparation for part two ??
If a part two comes , I will be definitely watching....

Verdict---Good .

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Just saw it and thought it was entertaining but heavy-handed in its message (the media cares about what sells, corporations are sociopathic) and somewhat undeveloped in narrative and character study. I've seen some people rave about JG's performance and it's quite good, but it strikes me as an easy one-dimensional one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Bloom has a photographic memory. That's why he can recite info from the internet as if it's a commercial. He has no people skills though. He seems to have crawled out from under some rug where all he's learned was apparently from the internet for the past 20 or so years and he has no friends. In fact, they could make at least one sequel about the character and probably a good prequel about his back story, but I'm not sure it would be as funny or compelling. Incidentally, I give it
- (B+).

Bought this movie on Blu-ray on Tuesday.

Watched some of it again, but not the whole thing. Looks A HELL of lot better on Blu-ray than it did in the theater I saw it in.

But for some reason, this movie is hard to sit through for me. It looks FABULOUS but it's incredibly dark and gloomy. And I know it's only going to get worse as it goes on ("worse" as in bad things happen in the film).

Jake's character is the most unlikeable character he's ever played. There's no warmth -- only creepiness. He's an a$$hole.

Maybe eventually I'll warm up to this movie more. I absolutely do not hate it, but I wasn't really looking forward to watching it again because of how dark it is.

It is dark, but I found it extremely entertaining. Sexy, have you seen the DP/30 interview Gyleenhaal did for Nightcrawler? He is a great interview, I never realized it.

It is dark, but I found it extremely entertaining. Sexy, have you seen the DP/30 interview Gyleenhaal did for Nightcrawler? He is a great interview, I never realized it.
Yeah, I found it extremely entertaining, too, but for some reason, I had trouble revisiting it. The first time I watched it, I didn't know what it was really about, so it was all new. This time there was hesitancy... and there's still hesitancy.

No, I haven't seen that interview.

You'd think I obsess about him and watch every interview he does, but I really don't. Still, thanks for bringing up the link, I'll give it a watch.

I just finished this one, it was one of my most anticipated movies of the year for quite some time. Definitely good, one of the more solid efforts of the year no doubt, but didn't quite leave a big impression. This side of media is the only thing we haven't really seen before (or at least I haven't seen before), nothing else is sensational or unique about it though, and I mean from its execution to the way it was shot.

Gyllenhaal was good, but I thought he didn't give much nuance to his performance. Overall I wish the film was both funnier and darker.

"My motto is if you want to win the lottery you've got to make money to get a ticket."

What a brilliant performance by Gyllenhaal in this rather morbid and exciting thriller. At times I was wondering whether it was meant to be amusing and jokingly or that it was intended to be presented as a serious and shocking story. Judging from my own chuckling at times and disbelief about what was being shown, I could only conclude that ultimately it was a mix of both. And it's masterly portrayed by Gyllenhaal, the chameleon of Hollywood and someone I do appreciate very much as an actor. After his appearance in "Prisoners" (which was an exceptionally exciting film) and the arty movie "Enemy" (as a story it was not my cup of tea, but in terms of performances it was again a success) just like Matthew McConaughey in "Dallas Buyers Club" he transformed physically into a gaunt, pale-looking good-for-nothing. Initially, he looks like a marginal person with a mental disability, but as you get to know him better, you come to the conclusion that he's extremely intellectual and has a kind of photographic memory. The way he quotes chunks of information that he has read on the Internet is pretty impressive. Louis Bloom is not exactly a simple figure but rather a cunning and manipulative character.

The whole story starts with Lou in the process of cutting a fence. He's initially no more than an insignificant criminal who earns his money by stealing copper and the like. Until he witnesses an accident one night on one of the highways around Los Angeles and he sees a freelance reporter (Bill Paxton) capturing the whole thing on film and after wards selling it to the highest possible price so that it can be used for the morning news. Lou doesn't waste any time and purchases a simple camcorder and police scanner. Immediately an assistant (Riz Ahmed) is being contracted and he hits the streets every night to film police interventions. His unconstrained personality and unscrupulous approach, ensure that he can capture pretty sensational images, allowing him to conquer a permanent position at the local station KWLA6. Here it's Nina Romina (Rene Russo) who rules as news editor. The straightforward film style of Lou appeals to her. As a sensation channel the presented footages can't be bloody enough. As she clearly stated : "The best and clearest way that I can phrase it for you, to capture the spirit of what we air, is think of our news cast as a screaming woman running down the street with her throat cut".

As the title "Nightcrawler" partially reveals it, most of the scenes are made during the night in the city of Los Angeles. This provides some beautiful nighttime shots with Lou speeding around in his shabby car (which subsequently will be replaced by a flashy sports car) through the streets on his way to a variety of calamities he has overheard by using the scanner. He's a "disaster tourist" equipped with a camera. The film is an indictment against the growing sensationalism in contemporary reporting. The look and shocking effect takes precedence over content and objectivity. You can compare it with the bread and circuses in the Roman Empire. Lou is the personification of this somewhat repulsive attitude. On the one hand he's quite insane and frightening. On the other hand he's a real goal getter who misuses the Achilles heel of the media world in a shrewd way to benefit from. One man's loss in this case is Lou's gain.

That the masterful rendition by Gyllenhaal, as the extremely manipulative and creepy Lou, takes on the lion's share of this exciting and simultaneously satirical film, is beyond dispute. But the supporting characters contributions are as important,convincing and certainly successful. First there is Riz Ahmed as the pitiful Rick, the assistant Lou has chosen in between, after a rather absurd interview. Rick is the prime example of someone who can use the money and who's offered the job because he has a smart phone with GPS function. He's overwhelmed by the silver-tongued Lou and him being a dogsbody after wards was also predictable. No wonder you instantly think he's likable. It was also a pleasant surprise to see Rene Russo acting again as Nina Romina, the unyielding editor without a conscience. I haven't seen her after "Lethal Weapon 3". The fact Dan Gilroy is her husband, probably made sure that the selection criteria were flexible. Yet this wasn't a bad interpretation and you witnessed the way Lou gradually took control over this seemingly fragile little personality.

It was clear how it would end eventually. Although there was a choice between two possible denouements (two logical endings that arose to me spontaneously), the end was still intense and surprising. A disgusting example of self-centeredness and self-preservation. An example of which way our society is going and how people disregard ethics. The moral of the story is that there is a lack of morality in the media landscape and society today. Does this sound pretty cynical, nasty or downright morbid to you ? I'd suggest to take a look at yourself in an honest way and think whether or not you would slow down when passing a traffic accident in order to catch a glimpse of a victim? Or you'd return home quickly to zap to a news channel just because you have heard a disaster happened somewhere ? You come to the conclusion after wards that we are all a little bit like Lou. Disturbing ? Yep !

Over the years I’ve met some people that, for whatever reason, they can only appreciate a movie if it has a gift-wrapped happy ending, complete with a bow on top. I will go ahead and say that if this applies to you, then this film is likely not your cup of tea. Not to say that there is anything wrong with this preference toward stories. After all, it is just that–a preference. The subjectivity of film and television is one of the things that makes it so great. There’s something for everyone. With that said, if you’re someone that appreciates superb writing, high levels of tension, and in depth character studies into the human psyche à la the hit series Breaking Bad, then you will love the film Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler is the directorial debut from Dan Gilroy, who has been previously known for his writing credits in film. Nightcrawler follows Lou Bloom, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, through his quest to become successful in the field of a unique type of freelance journalism. The aforementioned freelancers are those that peruse the city at night (ie. “nightcrawling”) hoping to find newsworthy incidents which they can film and then sell to news stations.

Lou stumbles upon the career of nightcrawling when he is driving home and sees that a terrible accident has just occurred on the freeway. Intrigued, he gets out of his car and notices a man filming the wreckage and the victims. Shamelessly (a characteristic that defines him), Lou eavesdrops the man’s phone conversation and realizes that he films these types of scenes and sells them for monetary compensation. He latches onto the idea and begins taking the steps to pursue a career as a nightcrawler filming newsworthy incidents. Before long, though, the lines between observer and participant start to become blurred.

Within the first five minutes of the film, we can see that Lou is both extremely intelligent and hard-working, but also corrupt in his motives. He obviously has admirable goals, but the means by which he aims to achieve those goals are quite the opposite. In fact, he’ll take part in behavior that most people would not due to societal norms and the presence of a functioning conscience. We get our first glimpse of this behavior shortly after Lou has gotten his feet wet in his new career. With the help of a new police scanner and camera, he manages to make it to a few active scenes where he finds more experienced journalists. He’s able to (again shamelessly) leech crucial information from them that helps him expedite his learning process. Making quick progress but still eager to make himself a more reputable video source, Lou soon arrives at the scene of a residential shooting and notices that the couple who resides in the home is standing outside being interviewed by police. Noticing that the front door is open, he seizes the opportunity to sneak in and film the bullet holes in the refrigerator, but not before tampering with the family photos on the front to make for a more compelling shot. It’s this sort of behavior that allows us to see that Lou is headed down a slippery slope of going too far to achieve his grandiose expectations.

There’s also another critical form of knowledge that Lou possesses–a keen understanding of how “normal” people think, and also of whats socially acceptable, appealing, and rewarded. This allows him to put on a facade in his daily life that disingenuously portrays himself as a charming and charismatic individual. As a result, Lou is able to effortlessly manipulate the people around him. We first see this with the naive but sincere Rick (Riz Ahmed), who is (along with his dire need for employment) coerced by Lou’s fancy-talk to work for him for nearly nothing. Lou does well to explain to Rick that the opportunity he’s being offered far outweighs the financial compensation, and he would be handsomely rewarded in the long run with a lucrative career. While we as viewers know that Lou has virtually no career at this point, and by no means a functioning business, he is able to convince Rick that he is a successful and experienced business owner who has a world of opportunities to offer. Lou takes a similar approach with Nina Romino (Rene Russo), the overnight news director at KWLA 6. Lou quickly establishes Nina as his go-to source to which he can sell his videos. We see that Nina is clearly impressed with Lou’s passion and the videos he provides. Nina becomes more and more impressed with Lou’s work, but also dependent on it. As this happens, she realizes that there’s much more that Lou is actually after.

From a filmmaking standpoint, this film succeeds exceptionally. The writing of Dan Gilroy provides for gripping dialogue, specifically the strange, yet articulate way in which Lou speaks that sets off the “creep radar” in all of us. This effect wouldn’t come across properly and completely, though, without the stellar performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. Viewers will instantly forget that they are watching this actor, no matter how familiar, as he becomes a chilling character unlike any other. I’m convinced that a 13 year-old girl with posters of Gyllenhaal lining her walls, who draws red hearts around his picture in Teen Magazine, and fantasizes about having a last name Gyllenhaal, would have a heart attack for all the wrong reasons if this character walked into her living room. While not on the same level as Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Bill Paxton, and Riz Ahmed all bring stellar supporting performances to the table. While overlooked by many viewers, a films cinematography plays a huge role in the perception of a film, and this film is no different. The camera angles and shots play a crucial role in establishing our perceptions of Lou. James Newton Howard provides a conservative yet effective score that successfully ties together the film from a tonal standpoint.

Nightcrawler is ultimately a journey that allows us to see life through the eyes of a man who is totally void of a conscience. A man who is the worst of the worst, who feeds off of people’s misfortunes and tragedy, and who will stop at nothing to achieve success. Through this journey we’re able to realize how effectively people such as Lou are able to effortlessly thread themselves into the fabric of our society. And, whether we like it or not, there are most likely a lot more “Lou’s” out there than we realize. If nothing else, you won’t be able to deny that Lou, due to his charming yet disturbing personality, makes Nightcrawler an extremely engrossing character study.