The Expanse

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Science fiction TV at its best! Anyone else watching this fantastic show? The finale was top notch.

Love the show. But then - I kind of like Thomas Jane - now there's a man who embraces his cheese. He has a way of playing that loveable defeated character who does the right thing, at the right time, and finally - for the right reason!

I ignored this show for a year, and when I finally watched it - was seriously hooked. I couldnt wait for the 2nd Season, so I knuckled in and started reading the books. Im through Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War. Now I see why the fanbase is chomping at the bit for Bobbie to show up.

CANNOT WAIT for Season 2 to begin -- although I am intrigued as to how they are going to write the story, because now I see that it doesnt follow the books in a straight line......

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My company supplies to gear for this show. I've heard good things, maybe I should support it by watching it.

Suspect's Reviews

I liked the first season, it really surprised me how good it was. I've been on the fence about reading the books, but seeing you lot praise them so highly makes me wonder what I've been missing. I think I'll buckle down and get book 1 tomorrow.

Because I really liked season one, I picked up a copy of Leviathan Wakes a month or two ago. Since season two is starting soon I figured I'll wait until that's over to start reading it and gave it to my mom to read first over Christmas (she likes science fiction and would read it way faster than I would). Now she wants to watch the show as well and is a little irritated that I couldn't get the DVD of season 1 out to her before season 2 starts.

they call me mr wayno
Fantastic series, such great concepts and attention to detail. I had intended to rewatch S1 before the new season came out, but I won't let that stop me from the S2 premiere on 1 Feb. I can't wait.

I saved the last episode of Season 1 --- I think I'll watch that Tuesday night.

You ready? You look ready.
Time left til launch!!

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I was hooked from the pilot episode! Totally Awesome!
Not a big fan of Thomas Jane until he met the crew of the Rocinante.
...and I still can't stand Shohreh Aghdashloo.
I can't figure out who told her she could acted...IMO.

Chief cook and bottlewasher
I loved the first season and am currently debating just buying season 2 instead of waiting. Decisions.

How are you guys liking the TV version of Bobbie? I am .... less than impressed. I feel like the Bobbie in the books was definitely under PTSD and for sure a fierce woman, but I never read that she was stupid ... the TV Bobbie actually comes across as sullen, slightly juvenile, and very unpleasant. And a little slow on the uptake, actually. I get she's a bruiser, but I never thought it was a requirement that one be a politician to understand deeper plotlines and perceive subtlety. Its a chessboard. You are a piece on it. How do you become a lead officer in the military and fail to comprehend that complexity? I respect the book version of her that got burned and chose other options (happens to the best of us), but at least in the book, you get the impression she does it with more gravitas and equanimity and less babyish pouting/tantrum throwing.

just sayin.

still love the show though! And the TV Bobby is growing on me. They better grow her up fast though.....

Season 3!!

So far, so awesome. Totally nailing the Caliban's War story line so far. This show continues to impress.

@Yoda Are you watching this show?

Not yet, but I have some old ones DVR'd to save me a few bucks if and when I do. I heard someone compare it to some other shows I've seen in a moderately unfavorable sense: as an example of shows with too much plot, essentially.

This is a complaint I'm sympathetic to. I feel like, 7-8 years ago, too many shows went the other way: way more about character relative to films, but I think there's been a pretty big shift, and now there are lots of shows with a ton of narrative momentum, so much that they end up twisting back and forth an awful lot, and you have to be really into them to really appreciate them at all. Fair description of this one?

Not yet, but I have some old ones DVR'd to save me a few bucks if and when I do. I heard someone compare it to some other shows I've seen in a moderately unfavorable sense: as an example of shows with too much plot, essentially.

This is a complaint I'm sympathetic to. I feel like, 7-8 years ago, too many shows went the other way: way more about character relative to films, but I think there's been a pretty big shift, and now there are lots of shows with a ton of narrative momentum, so much that they end up twisting back and forth an awful lot, and you have to be really into them to really appreciate them at all. Fair description of this one?

I really have no complaints about this show. There is certainly plenty of character development, that's for sure. The claim that there is quite a bit of plot to keep up with is fair, I guess, but not so much that it becomes bloated or confusing, IMO. There aren't a ton of episodes per season, either, so it's not a huge commitment, either. One of the cool aspects is that a fair amount of the intrigue is political, which is why I think it might be in your wheelhouse. Give it a shot!

Good stuff, and (perhaps stupidly) the lower number of episodes is appealing.

I'm still swamped with stuff to watch, but I will still, in fact, give this a try.

Good stuff, and (perhaps stupidly) the lower number of episodes is appealing.

I'm still swamped with stuff to watch, but I will still, in fact, give this a try.
Cool, let me know what you think once you get rolling.

Things you will like:

- The realistic approach to life in space/space travel. No standing around drinking Earl Gray while going warp speed here!

- The excellent and again realistic politics between the Earth/Moon faction, The militant Mars faction, and the scrappy Belters, that are sort of the underclass proletariat that lives in the asteroid belt mining resources for the other two factions.

- There's a noirish detective in it.

- The fantastic elements are extremely minimal - more realism there.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I just got caught up to what's available on Prime last weekend. I apparently finished the first season at some point, but couldn't remember much of it so started back around EP4 as a refresher. Wow. I burned through the rest of S1 and finished S2 on Sunday. This show is great. Only Lost and Battlestar Gallactica (2004) have excited me as much for serial sci-fi. I admit that on first watch I was unimpressed after two episodes. I tried again weeks later and couldn't put it down. I do remember that. Like I said, I made it through the entire season at some point.

IMO, this is far superior to Altered Carbon. I had very high hopes for that one and, while I did enjoy it, AC began to compress in of itself halfway through spending too much time setting up in S.T.A.R. Labs ...er, I mean the VR hotel as an HQ. The Expanse, Season 1, was very refreshing for me and offered a unique science fiction experience that took all the best of its predecessors such as gorgeous environmental shots and the quiet, lonely cold of deep space from BSG; the political drama of Babylon 5, and maybe hints of Farscape with the variety of settings from episode to episode, then made something better. There is something special about this series, and I'm a fan now for it.

I almost bought S3 on Prime just to keep going, but it looked like only 2 episodes have been released. That was not worth the $29 admission fee because I won't have the patience to wait!

I agree with the OP in that the season finale of S1 was simply gorgeous and poetic. It seems very likely now that the writers have had a clear path ahead of them, as seeds were planted at the start of S1 that took an entire season to evolve enough to return to. Now having finished Season 2, I believe there are even more elements that will only begin to show in S3, alluded to early in S1. That long-term arc really excites me and I hope that this show can keep its momentum and recognize when to close its story lines down properly before it gets stale.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Glad to hear you are digging the show! Not sure if you are aware, but the source material for the show is a series of books by James S.A. Corey, which is actually two people writing under the pen name. I have read all but the most recent one, which just came out within the last few months. So far, season 3 has been extremely faithful to the book that covers the same period of time in the story. I am excited to see the events that are just about to happen in the show, as I feel they will pull it all off really well.

New episode tonight!