What I'm Watching

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
I do all of my TV viewing online so I don't watch a lot of stuff on pay channels, but these are the TV shows that are on my regular prime time viewing schedule...I think the easiest way to do this is by network/channel:

ABC: The Real O Neals, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, American Housewife, Modern Family, Black-ish, Speechless, Designated Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Notorious, Last Man Standing

CBS: 2 Broke Girls, Man with a Plan, The Odd Couple, Bull, Criminal Minds, Mom, Life in Pieces, Blue Bloods

NBC: Law & Order: SVU, This is Us

FOX: Son of Zorn, Family Guy, Gotham, Empire, New Girl, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Pitch, The Mick, Scream Queens

The CW: Supergirl

SHOWTIME: The Affair
I still watch Modern Family but I haven't found it all that funny from about 3 years now. Is that weird? I guess its comfort viewing when it comes on.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

wow it has been a long time, time to get back into this ladies and gents

The Punisher

Where? Netflix (well...)

Is it any good? Yes and no. Jon Bernthal is as watchable as ever and in my opinion, this is his best role to date. The problem arises with The Punisher ... well, not punishing anyone or even wearing his famous skull vest. It's basically just some guy fixing things in a widows house and then the odd action set piece. Dare Devil Season 2 got the character just right but this show doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a family drama, a buddy movie, an action piece or a political statement.

Too many cooks and all that.

Will I be watching again? After 4 episodes yes, but only because I trust in Bernthal

Rating: 3/5

“I was cured, all right!”
Currently watching:

Samurai Jack Season 5 - The Last Season (4/5)
Fate/Apocrypha (3/5)
One Piece (3,5/5)
Punisher (1/5)
Stranger Things season 2 (1/5)

All notes are based in what I have watched so far...

And so we return after a season of some big TV additions, I'll start with

His Dark Materials

Where? BBC One

Is it any good? Yes...and no. This is a difficult one, as is the subject matter. I read the trilogy in my early teen years and found it enjoyable, thought provoking and just plain cool. As a Muslim, I have never been taken by the atheist agenda or "arguments" but I thought Pullman handled his opinions/thoughts/ideology very well. It was a clear atheist agenda but it did not get shoved down my throat.

Fast forward some 15 years, all of Pullman's maniacal and in all honesty, idiotic comments, coupled with the mainstream media rise of the likes of Ricky Gervais, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and co. I start to wonder how responsible this type of film making is in such a climate of hate and prejudice.

Yet the BBC has handled it well...for the most part. The anti-religious undertones are there but masked in some terrific fantasy film making but in-your-face feminism (scene after scene of Mrs Coulter trumping her male counterparts, which are not present in the book seem to take up 10-15 minutes per episode) and then there is the ethnic "diversity"...diversity so much so that any character who isn't white is black. The Gyptians would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce a string of rising Asian actors in the UK and Pullman clearly based this group on the Romani gypsies and their way of life, far closer in culture and looks to people of the subcontinent than Africa.

I must sound horrible saying all this but if you want to make such in your face statements, then you have to do it right.

However the special effects and the flow of the programme is fun and passable enough...it just could have been better without all the politics.

Will I be watching again? 5 episodes in, I may finish the final episode if I have time.

Rating: 2.5/5 - not a must watch

This was pretty good, if a bit uneven.
I'm still at ep.2, really behind in my tv viewings, saving the rest of the Umbrella Academy eps. for a rainy day.

Watching; The Expanse S4 and The Boys S1 first.