Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It's not a spoiler when you can look up the cast in imdb.com.
Not everyone chooses to chase IMDB cast lists. Would still be considerate to edit the post with a spoiler tag for those who haven't yet seen it ...or researched the film production.

Midsommar(2019)

I'll say it's better than Hereditary, which shows you how much I liked that movie given this rating. I bought into this one pretty well, but the last half hour took me out of it a bit. I understand some of the metaphors and real life comparisons, but it went off the deep end in an instance or two.

It's a bit artsy in terms of cinematography and such, so don't expect it to be an easy watch. However, there are some dots most people should be able to connect to consider it a good time once the credits roll.

Cabiria (1914)

From the Ebert list, this is one of the earliest epics and supposedly one of the most influential films. Costume drama is not my cup of tea but I have to give it it's due. Maybe because it's such an old movie everything seemed more authentic. The costumes and sets are terrific, and even the stunt work impressive. I wasn't completely immersed but it's a good movie and I liked it.

Fat City
(John Houston, 1972)

Gotta love the early 1970s for honest film dramas without pandering to the audience's emotions. That unique film making style would change after George Lucas's and Steven Spielberg's mega block busters hit the theaters in the later 1970s. But there was a time in the 70s when movie making was about something more than movies as amusement park rides...1972's Fat City by legendary John Houston is such a film.

Fat City is like a peak into the go-nowhere lives of people living hand-to-mouth and just trying to get through the day, while hoping for a better tomorrow. Tomorrow is fleeting and there's no grandiose mentor, no magic moments to lift these lost souls out of their doldrums. What we see isn't inspiring and it sure in the hell isn't uplifting, but it felt damn real.

A young Stacy Keach is perfectly cast as a has-been, small time boxer who goes through life where the currents take him. He's adrift without real direction. Susan Tyrrell is a 'train wreck of a bar fly' a juicer who's been drunk for years. Wholly crap! I believed she was an actual drunk and had degenerated into something that crawled out of the bottle and wants nothing more out of life than to stay at the bottom of that bottle.

Fat City was a Cannes Film Festival selection.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	fat city susan.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	55581  

Midsommar(2019)

I'll say it's better than Hereditary, which shows you how much I liked that movie given this rating. I bought into this one pretty well, but the last half hour took me out of it a bit. I understand some of the metaphors and real life comparisons, but it went off the deep end in an instance or two.

It's a bit artsy in terms of cinematography and such, so don't expect it to be an easy watch. However, there are some dots most people should be able to connect to consider it a good time once the credits roll.
Just looking at clips of the trailer the way it's shot reminds me of The Witch.

Midsommar(2019)

Chawhee,

Have you seen "The Wicker Tree" by Robin Hardy? If not, give that a watch.. you will see a lot of similarities....

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Fat City
(John Houston, 1972)

Gotta love the early 1970s for honest film dramas without pandering to the audience's emotions. That unique film making style would change after George Lucas's and Steven Spielberg's mega block busters hit the theaters in the later 1970s. But there was a time in the 70s when movie making was about something more than movies as amusement park rides...1972's Fat City by legendary John Houston is such a film.

Fat City is like a peak into the go-nowhere lives of people living hand-to-mouth and just trying to get through the day, while hoping for a better tomorrow. Tomorrow is fleeting and there's no grandiose mentor, no magic moments to lift these lost souls out of their doldrums. What we see isn't inspiring and it sure in the hell isn't uplifting, but it felt damn real.

A young Stacy Keach is perfectly cast as a has-been, small time boxer who goes through life where the currents take him. He's adrift without real direction. Susan Tyrrell is a 'train wreck of a bar fly' a juicer who's been drunk for years. Wholly crap! I believed she was an actual drunk and had degenerated into something that crawled out of the bottle and wants nothing more out of life than to stay at the bottom of that bottle.

Fat City was a Cannes Film Festival selection.

One of my favorite movies. I think its a Top performance by Stacy Keach. Glad you liked it!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I love The Clock. I thought Judy Garland and Robert Walker were adorable together. It's sad to see this movie get such a low rating.

this is england - 2006

i was watching a doc on vice and i remembered how much this movie marked my teenage years
some people look back with shame on there ideas and beliefs, i don't really think that way, it was just ingenuity
i was like shaun in many ways, and i ended up projecting my insecurities on other people, i didn't even knew
shane did a brilliant job at dramatic and psychological level with this movie, I'll start watching the series

Chawhee,

Have you seen "The Wicker Tree" by Robin Hardy? If not, give that a watch.. you will see a lot of similarities....
I have not, but some of the aggregate review sites scare me a bit haha...premise sounds very similar though

twilight 0/10 I don't know why everyone crazy about this movie, the main character irritates me very much