Good movies make bad games..good games make bad movies

Tools    

this is the cycle of doom..the formula of death...great hollywood movies are
immediately made into poor games...and great videogames are quickly made into trash hollywood movies...it is the spiral of death

Well i'm really hoping that rainbow six will be awesome, and am keeping my fingers crossed that they make The Halo movie, all i could think as i watched avatar was how it reminded me of the halo universe and how i wished they would make it.

I think Planview is right. The transition from movie to game generally works well IMO. Most of history's best games were based on movies (ie. Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark on N64, various Star Wars, Disney, and Marvel-based games).

Unfortunately there is little reciprocation. Movies liked Doom were, well, doomed to splattering an ad hoc storyline and made-up science and taking bits and elements of the actual game. In fact, had I not known the name of the movie was "Doom" I'd have no idea it was inspired by the game. I think this is the overall rule for game->movie translations. The reason I think is because the game's storyline wouldn't translate well to a movie-based storyline. I'm sure an avid gamer/movie aficionado could give a more indepth explanation of why it doesn't seem to work.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
DRIVER was actually pretty awesome-- it simulates driving through San Fran in a muscle car -- patterned after Bullitt with Steve McQueen.

Anarchist within reason
Superman Returns: Bad movie, bad game
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'