Hollwood remaking two 80's comedies

Tools    

Big Chico's Movie Blog
I hope this is in the right section. If not sorry.

For the love of all that’s good and right can Hollywood not come up with any original ideas? As of today Robert Luketic (”The Ugly Truth,” “Monster-in-Law”) is rumored to direct the remake of “Romancing the Stone” and Sony wants Katherine Heigl to star in the 1987 comedy “Overboard.”

So what we can deduce is if Luketic does direct RTS then I guess Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl will be staring together again as the leads. With these two in the lead of RTS it probably won’t be as bad as it could be, but God forbid we get an original comedy instead of some 80’s retread.

I ask you, does “Overboard” really deserve a remake? I remember seeing Overboard when it came out. What made that movie funny was Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn. Every time I hear of a remake like this I feel like Rambo when he was tied to the metal spring mattress getting electric shocks run through his body.

It’s great that we get more of Heigl on the silver screen, but are there really no good writers left in Hollywood. Right now I can go to over 100 fan sites that cater to fan fiction and read some of the best stories from people who write in their spare time. We hear all the time how writers are plucked from obscurity only write the next Oscar winning film. For the love of Mary; if you’re a studio exec go to your local restaurant, stand in the middle of the room and ask “is there anyone with a good movie script I could read”, and I guaranty you would have three semi descent scripts in your hands in less time than it took for Lindsey Lohan to do line after getting out of rehab.

Overboard was okay. I don't really agree with a remake but then I don't really like how Hollywood remakes everything. If I were to remake this film I would probably cast Hegil for the lead as well. I think she would do a good job in the role.

Semper Fooey
If they want to remake a Goldie Hahn movie, wouldn't Private Benjamin be a better choice?