The Evil Dead

1. Bruce Campbell
2. Great/Cheesy Claymation Effects
3. The Continuity Mistakes
4. Innovative Camera Techniques
5. For A Budget So Low, They Created Something Amazing
6. One of only Two Horror Films To Scare Me
7. Holds Up To This Day For Entertainment & Technical Achievement
8. The Horrible Dialogue (We Can't Bury Shelly, She's Our Friend)
9. Tree Rape
10. Sam Spiderman Raimi's most original and greatest film.

Suspect's Reviews

SIN CITY(2005)

[1] Just about the coolest-looking film anywhere ever.
[2] Devon Aoki's performance as Miho.
[3] Bruce Willis.
[4] The colouring, which makes certain things stand out more.
[5] The amount of Hollywood A-list actors.
[6] Jessica Alba pole-dancing.

[7] The ending. "
An old man dies. A young girl lives. A fair trade. I love you, Nancy. "
[8] The line: "
After a while all I'm doing is punching wet chips of bone into the floorboards. So I stop."
[9] Mickey Rourke. (I realise I'm listing lots of actors, sorry.)
[10] The Salesman's (Josh Hartnett) voice-over at the start.

Donnie Darko

1. Jake Gyllenhaal
2. Frank, the giant bunny.
3. Jenna Malon as Gretchen Ross.
4. "What did you want for Christmas that year?"
"Hungry, hungry hippos."
5. Time traveling.
6. Patrick Swayze as a motivational speaker/child molester.
7. Maggie Gyllehaal.
8. The dinnertime conversations.
9. The phantom jet engine.
10. Sparkle Motion.

Citizen Kane
  • The opening scenes as the camera cuts to various shots of Gothic buildings, enters the mansion, finds Kane dying alone, hears his last words, “Rosebud!”, then follows the falling snow-globe as it tumbles down the stairs and breaks.
  • The use of shadowy wisecracking newsreel reporters to track down the story of Kane’s life, told through their research and interviews. The fact that the face of the main reporter is never shown.
  • The then-almost-unknown cast who later became stars and some of the best character actors in the industry—Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorehead, Everette Sloan, Ray Collins, Paul Stewart, the Mercury Productions crew.
  • The great story, which earned an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Welles and co-writer Herman J. Mankiewicz.
  • The innovative use of deep focus in filming most scenes, which kept in focus both the foreground and the background and everything in between. Also the unusual use of low-angle shots. Cinematographer Gregg Toland was nominated for an Oscar for this trailblazing photography.
  • The special effects makeup by Mel Berns to age (and sometimes “un-age”) characters and the use of episodic sequences in showing the breakdown of Kane’s marriage.
  • Welles brought a lot of his radio experience to providing sound for this movie, including a new aural technique called a “lightning mix” that used continuing dialogue to advance the time period from one scene to another.
  • The realistic overlapping of dialogue and background sounds
  • The introduction of the L-cut or split cut where the audio makes the transition to the next scene ahead of the visual.
  • The final scene with a basement stuffed with the treasures and trash of Kane’s long life where the mystery of Rosebud is finally revealed.

1.French and very French
2.Monica Bellucci,breathtakingly charming
3.Lots of twists and turns
4.confusing flashbacks make it a bit hard to follow but keeps me wondering and guessing what's going on
5.beautiful ending,though a bit sad,still reasonable and truly beautiful.
6.excellent portrait of the character Alice,a girl being crazy for love and willing to trade everying for her dreamed man.
7.The use of montage is excellent
8.I saw it since it was about after 5 years and I enjoy watching a film on which I already had some vague idea.Nostalgia,I suppose
9+10.It introduces me into French films.

Titanic

1. i like Leo's character
2. love when rose ask him to paint her
3. love every line
4. the love story
5. the effects
6. it's kinda historical, a lot of people are also addicted to the film
7. the director is good
8. the acting
9. the cast
10. the ending

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
French Connection II (John Frankenheimer, 1975)

WARNING: Some Spoilers follow, although I really try not to make it anything that important!

1. Popeye Doyle (Gene Hackman) is a terrific true-life character, and although this film is completely fictional, I feel I understand him much better in this film compared to the first.

2. Marseille is a major "character" in the film. The fact that the entire film takes place in France makes it far more unique than normal, especially for a sequel to an Oscar-winning Best Picture.

3. The Shithouse Scene: Popeye is "interviewed" by his French counterpart (Bernard Fresson) inside the bathroom. He reads him a file detailing all the people he's killed, including a few cops. Popeye responds, "I know the dope that comes out of this city has killed a lot more than I have."

4. The Bar Scene: Popeye can't speak French, but he makes friends with a bartender (André Penvern) who doesn't speak English. They get along really well and share drinks. Popeye may be an "Ugly American", but some Frenchmen don't know it.

5. Frog One (Fernando Rey) turns Popeye into a junkie. When the French drug dealer realizes that Popeye is sniffing around for him, he captures him, shoots him full of heroin for weeks, and then tosses him on the street in front of the police station.

6. The Cold Turkey Scene: When Popeye is miraculously brought back from the dead, he has to go through withdrawl from heroin. Gene Hackman's performance during the Cold Turkey scene is miles beyond his Oscar-winning turn in the first film. Remember, "Mickey Mantle sucks!"

7. "Rats!" The scene where Popeye finds where Frog One shot him full of dope is one of the more-satisfying revenge scenes ever, and of course, it's remarkably realistic.

8. The Dry Dock Scene: This is easily one of the most unique action scenes ever filmed. Popeye and the French police find out that the dope is going to go out on a ship which is in dry dock, but when they make their move, the dock gets flooded, machine guns blazing, and it looks like the end for some key characters, especially since Popeye doesn't have his gun.

9. Invasion of the Canning Factory: The last part of this film crams action scenes up the wazoo. Philippe Léotard shines as the maniacal machine gun-wielding bad guy in these last two scenes, and you really have to see what he does at the end of this one.

10. French Connection II contains one of the greatest endings in film history. It is perfectly acted, directed and edited.

I am half agony, half hope.
North By Northwest

1. Excellent dialogue
2. Cary Grant's humor and grace (even my husband has a man crush)
3. The fact that Hitchcock snuck a camera into the UN building to shoot footage when permission to film there was denied
4. The actors: James Mason, Cary Grant, Martin Landau, Eva Marie Saint, Leo Carroll, and Jessie Royce Landis
5. The cleanest picture I've seen. Very clear with a lot of definition. Even the kids noticed it and commented.
6. The actress that played Grant's mother was almost a year younger than Grant was
7. The combination of suspense and comedy
8. The camera work
9. Bernard Herrmann's score
10. Escaping down Mt. Rushmore

Johann von Goethe

Mark after reading your 10pts I am going to give French Connection 11, another look

Mrs Darsy I love anything with Cary Grant in it I love North by Northwest great points I have lost count of how many times I have seen it

Red River

1. The casting of John Wayne and Monty Clift together in the same film. You couldn't possibly in the history of film find two other classic/legend Hollywood actors at the opposite ends in the spectrum of anything. How they lived their lives, acting style, screen persona/presence, and views on the world. Yet the two connect greatly on screen. Brilliance pure and simple.
Seems to me there was more dumb luck than brilliance involved in that casting since it was Clift's first movie, and with no indication at the time it was shot that it would become a classic. Like Casablanca, it was thought to be just another B-movie, nothing special, at the time it was shot and when first released. Even Wayne wasn't that big a box office attraction at the time. And no one had the slightest clue how Clift's life and career was going to unwind.

I don't recall Clift ever doing another Western until his last film with Gable, Monroe, and Eli Wallich. In fact, 10 years later Clift turned down Dean Martin's role in Rio Bravo rather than work with Wayne, who had snubbed him on the Red River set for his homosexuality.

Besides, I would say that, homosexuality aside, Katherine Hepburn was more a total opposite politically, socially, and careerwise to Wayne when she appeared with him in Rooster Cogburn.

Dances With Wolves (1990)
5. Graham Greene as Kicking Bird. He's sweet, kind, and frightened. His final scene with Dunbar is especially poignant -- "We have come far, you and me." *sigh* I simply love this performance.
I agree Greene is an enjoyable actor. I particularly liked him on Northern Exposure.

6. Use of subtitles. The very idea that his film would honor Native Americans and not use their language would have been simply unforgiveable.
Subtitles are fine. They're especially good in Black Robe, which doesn't go overboard with a "politically correct" revision of Native Americans.

Problem is, what language are the natives speaking in Dances With Wolves? I understand they were supposed to learn Lakota for the film, but would director Costner or we know if Greene, an Oneida from Canada, was speaking his native language instead, or if Wes Studi was speaking the Cherokee he learned as a child? Anthony Quinn, a Mexican-American, convincingly delivered lines of gibberish to his future father-in-law Cecil B. DeMille in his early movie role as an Indian. Which takes greater acting ability, to deliver lines in a language you've had to learn or to appear to be speaking a foreign language when you're really making up sounds as you go?

It reminds me of a story I once heard about the owner of an Irish bar in a large US city who was always telling patrons how he longed to talk in his native tongue with a real Irishman once more, there being none but himself about that knew the language. So one day a noted Irish author come to town and is taken down to the Irish pub as a treat for the bilingual owner. So the two are introduced and everyone leans forward to hear a coversation in Gaelic. After some hemming and hawing, the pub owner finally launches into what little Gaelic he knew: "Our Father, who art in heaven...." to which the Irish writer replyed in the same tongue, "Hallowed be thy name." They then continue reciting verses of that pslam in turn until the end. Afterward, one of the non-Gaelic bystanders asked what they had been talking about. "The conversation was of a religious nature," the Irish writer replied.

Regardless of what the subtitles said, the Indians on screen could have been reciting scripture or nothing at all, for all that we or Costner knew.

9. We finally had a film that really celebrated a people that our government had almost destroyed. Not only is the 17th and 18th century full of unpair practices by the U.S. Government, the 20th century was even worse. And one outstanding crime was how we treated them in film.
We "finally" had a film celebrating the American Indian? I can remember several before Costner came along: Little Big Man, A Man Called Horse, I and II, Apache, Jim Thorpe: All American, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Battle Cry with the Indian signalmen in the Pacific during WWII, etc. And while every Native American in Dances is fine and noble, every white man is a criminal, a lunatic, or both, including Costner's character who tried to committ suicide by battlefield rather than chance losing a leg.

10. Finally, Kevin Costner's direction. I get angry every time I see him now denigrated for this win because Scorcese lost. What a crock. It is an impressive directorial debut;
It doesn't bother me that Scorcese lost and Costner won. What does bother me is all of the holes Costner left in his storyline. Like when the old Lakota chief digs out a conquistador's helmet that the tribe picked up hundreds of years before. They must have gotten it in a trade with other Indians, because the Spanish never marched up into the Dakotas. I found a copy of the book on which the movie was based--sure enough, the original setting was in Texas and the Indians were the Comanche, who realy did fight Spanish conquistadores and stole their horses to become the best horsemen in North America. I'd love to have a chance to ask Costner why he moved his story to the Black Hills of the Lakotas from the Staked Plains of the Comanche. Are the Sioux supposed to be superior to the Comanche?

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
Pulp Fiction, my all time fave movie.

1. The Dialog. The Movie is carried just by the way the characters talk to each other. Some of the best writing i have ever seen in film. QT knows how, even with nothing happening, to keep the audience enthralled in simple conversation.

2. The Story. The way that the movie is broken into 3 main story arc's (not including the diner scene at the beginning) that are great as stand alone sequences and the way that they come together to form 1 coheisive story in the end. The movie keeps you entertained with each part being as good as the last, from beginning to credits without ever missing a beat.

3. The Cast. The best enseble cast I have seen on screen. Bruce willis as Butch, the bully boxer who throws a fight. John Travolta reviving his carrere along side Sam Jackson (arguably most memorable if not best) role as 2 hitmen who face not only "a moment of clarity" but one of the funniest botched car rides in cinema. Uma Thurman is halarious as the coke head wife of Marcellus wallace (ving rhames) in the funniest scene of the whole movie when she overdoses. Eric stoltz as Travoltas dealer and a cameo from Christopher Walken and Tarrantino himself brings the whole thing together.

4. It brough attention to indy films in a way that probably would never have been done by another film and took Tarrantino's carrer to a whole new level

5. It is a movie that is violent in nature but is not very violent on screen. It keeps the movie intense at points but doesnt have to show all the gratuitous gore that you may see in other genre films.

6. The editing and cinemetography is amazing. The hallway scene where jules and vincent are talking before they go and gett the breifcase is one of my favorit scenes. instead of following them down the hall it stays at the door, keeping the attention there, and leading the audience to know that something is about to happen. Another scene is when they are walking into the building and the shot of the two hitmen from the trunk of the car, might be the most iconic shot if them in the film. Subtle transitions throughout the movie remind of why I came to love the movie so much.

7. The opening scene of the movie, the dialog betwen Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer, which was written for the two of them, I think sets the tone for the whole movie, and it is the scene that made me fall in love with this movie and the rest of QT's work.

8. It is a movie that stands the test of time. Its a movie that was made almost 15 years ago and it still feels like it could have been release yesterday

9. Quentin Tarrentino. Need I say more...

10. I could watch this film on a continous loop and remain forever entertained. I guess thats why this is my favorite.

Saw (2004)

* It was refreashing from the usual horrors around the time
* I love the theme music
* The acting was great, apart from some of Cary Elwes acting.
* The story
* Shawnee Smith is hot
*I love the twist, it showed how good a good twist can be
*Adams character gave the film some humor
*I love how the film is edited and shot
*The Dark atomosphere
*Your heart is racing on the final scenes.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
1.Gondry's unique visual style (i.e. use of natural lighting and video editing to create special effects) really making this film a truly unique adventure
2. a "love" story that actually captures the essence of real relationships. Its really got that love/hate dichotomy aspect of relationships down. Great quote by Joel in the restaurant "are we the dining dead?" Just shows how monotonous things can get and how that can lead to you in many ways to start hating your significant other
3. despite everything mentioned above, it shows how 2 people despite being bored with eachother and hating a lot about the other person can actually be in love. be that a good or bad thing is up to the viewer.
4. although categorized as a comedy i def see it more as a sad film, but i like that it is a little bit of everything: sad, funny, and even a little creepy at times(i.e. when elijah woods face is on backwards or whatever that was), haunting...ya know in that way that everything is just a memory and in time will fade and possibly be forgotten completely
5. Jim Carey's narrative or spoken thoughts or whatever you want to call it is just so soothing. The opening scene when he is waking up and contemplating his day is just so good. that semi- monotone and calm voice just captured me right away...i just like the way he sounds
6. love the soundtrack the music is really just as much a part of the movie as the characters. jon brion's score is haunting and the other songs really just add to the movie's overall impact
7. plot originality...def not something i have ever seen before and def not gonna be duplicated (at least not successfully)
8. great cast...eh except kirsten dunst i think she is a pretty ****** actress, but she kinda fits that naive kinda ditsy role
9. i can relate to both the main characters... i def have the antisocial and reclusive tendencies of joel but can relate to the impulsiveness and adventure-seeking side of Clementine
10. Final scenes of the movie are great. I love when the house is falling apart...such a physical representation of the ending of a relationship. and yes they meet again in the end but your interpretation of this kinda depends on what type of person you are. maybe they will stay together and live happily ever after or maybe they are just doomed to go through all the pain of the relationship again only for it just to end...again

Lost in never never land
Santa's Slay

1. Cult classic type feel to it.
2. Flashback scene is done with puppets
3. Emilie De-Ravin
4. Lots of odd deaths at the hands of Santa
5. Bill Goldberg as Santa
6. Completely absurd
7. Wonderful music
8. The crazy Grandpa
9. The wonderful family in the opening scene
10. It's a Christmas movie

(I know those aren't 10 amazing reasons, but it really is a wonderfully aweful film, cult classic written all over it, just hilariously fun)
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity