Cinderella Man

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
As a fan of boxing when I said most definitive I meant the movie that most resembles real boxing. Rocky is the classic underdog story that has totally unrealistic boxing scenes, On The Waterfront is a very good movie but Raging Bull depicts actual boxing best and the story of Jake LaMotta is a fascinating one.
Point taken. But Cinderella Man is also a true story. Doesn't it qualify?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by darkhorse
Point taken. But Cinderella Man is also a true story. Doesn't it qualify?
It definitely qualifies

I just think I'm finding it hard to come to terms with Russell Crowe as a boxer, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when I do get to see the movie.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

It definitely qualifies

I just think I'm finding it hard to come to terms with Russell Crowe as a boxer, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when I do get to see the movie.
Crowe lost a great deal of weight for this role. He looks completely different. You should check it out--he gives a very convincing performance. Be prepared, though--it's a very gritty, realistic look at life in the Great Depression, so it can be kind of unnerving.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Crowe lost a great deal of weight for this role. He looks completely different. You should check it out--he gives a very convincing performance. Be prepared, though--it's a very gritty, realistic look at life in the Great Depression, so it can be kind of unnerving.
I'll check it out and I'm expecting the depiction of The Great Depression to be far more interesting than Crowe's performance as a heavyweight boxer.

I'll check it out and I'm expecting the depiction of The Great Depression to be far more interesting than Crowe's performance as a heavyweight boxer.
I thought Crowe's performance was exemplary, though I also thought the bad guy (Max Baer) was a more compelling character--but mainly because he was so heavily caricaturized, whereas Crowe downplayed his character tremendously. Ultimately, Crowe's performance was, in some ways, reminiscent of Brando in On the Waterfront--but only in some ways.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I actually find the sleek look of modern hollywood movies, particularly caused by the type of film they use to bee a handycap when it comes to visually portraying grittiness. As far as showing life in the great depression through the story it wasn't too bad though.

This was a pretty good movie, no classic, not a lot of re-watch appeal, but definitely worth seeing. Crowe works hard in the starring role as does Renee Zelwegger as his wife and I would agree that Giamatti's performance was serviceable to the role, but overrated. I think his Oscar nomination for this was a consolation prize for being snubbed for SIDEWAYS. If the truth be told, the best performance in the film is by Craig Bierko as Max Baer...a real movie star turn.