Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I quattro dell'Apocalisse (1975)
aka Four of the Apocalypse

Fulci's take on the spaghetti western is above average in quality. It's not grim by his standards but definitely more bloody and cruel than most. The first hour or so is good but the rest drags quite a bit (I think the whole miner town part and childbirth weren't needed). An odd mix of characters and, my god, is Lynne Frederick pretty.

Dark Waters (2019)

A slight misstep from what I was expecting. I think a good documentary may be able to tell this story a little better. There are plenty of facts communicated here, but the pacing was a bit too slow and uneven in my opinion. The acting was also a bit worse than I anticipated (Ruffalo's pouty face the whole time threw me off, but maybe that was intended based on the real character).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ted Bundy: Falling for a Killer

I've always been interested about Ted Kaczynski, and lately, Ted Bundy (with so many docs popping up), but this is the WORST I've seen. It's more of a feminist show.

Dragged Across Concrete
4/10 Found it a drag to watch

Dolemite Is My Name
7/10 One of Eddie Murphy's best performances, he can still be funny when he tries

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Unabomber: In His Own Words - 10/10
All of my heroes seem to be artists, with the exception of Ted Kaczynski and Jimmy Hoffa.
It would be great if he did more interviews and talked a bit about the current societal mess.

Unabomber: In His Own Words - 10/10
All of my heroes seem to be artists, with the exception of Ted Kaczynski and Jimmy Hoffa.
It would be great if he did more interviews and talked a bit about the current societal mess.
Ted Kaczynski the Unabomber is your hero??? Heavens why?

Ordinary People (1980)

This psychological drama was potent in it's reflection on the most difficult aspects of family and social life. I cried four times during this movie which focused heavily on the misunderstandings of relationships. Donald Sutherland played a loving father trying to hold his family together after the tragic death of their eldest son. Mary Tyler Moore played the mother who couldn't love her second son as much as her deceased eldest. This was also somewhat a coming of age story. Elizabeth McGovern played the delightful Jeannine who saved this story from being a total tragedy. She was beautiful and delightful. There was so much pain in this movie, and so much of it delivered in incredible subtlety, I think many people will be able to relate similar experiences and see why we must look past the surface and give the benefit of the doubt.

The Wind (2018)

William Holden: The Golden Boy
Can't believe there are only 19 votes on IMDB!
Thanks for the heads-up on the Holden documentary. I watched it last night on YouTube, and enjoyed it. Holden was one of my favorites, especially since Sunset Blvd.

I was living in Hollywood in 1981 when he died. Some friends who worked for the studios said that while drunk, Holden had tried to stand on a chair to change a light bulb. He fell and hit is head on a table, causing a fatal concussion.

We were all a bunch of drunks then anyway, so it was pretty God-awful news.

I guess there are several docs in that series. Will probably watch some more. The Quinn one ought to be pretty good too.

~Doc

Ted Bundy: Falling for a Killer

I've always been interested about Ted Kaczynski, and lately, Ted Bundy (with so many docs popping up), but this is the WORST I've seen. It's more of a feminist show.
The interesting parts of the first 2 segments were the portions when the girlfriend or her daughter were interviewed, and when they stuck to the facts of the case embellished by the women's commentary. But unfortunately half of the running time seemed devoted to promoting the tenets of doctrinaire feminism and the "womens' movement", of which I have less than zero interest in, or sympathy for. Why they tried to correlate or contrast feminism with Bundy's horrific murder spree is a mystery to me. It doesn't work, and it's very off-putting.

By the 3rd ep they had backed off some of the whiney feminist dogma. There were only a few references to the subject which, although they negatively stuck out like sore thumbs, were brief. The production got more into the mindset and reactions of the girlfriend and her daughter. Elizabeth's interviews mentioned her alcohol abuse, but probably not enough has not been made so far of her likely alcoholism-- which can put a person into incomprehensible situations and states of mind. My guess is that her sobering up and possibly getting into 12 step or treatment compelled her to reveal her story.

Us (2019)

Have you seen The Lighthouse (2019)? Give that one a watch.
No. Why, is it the polar opposite of 'Us'?

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made (2018)

A short mockumentary of the cursed movie, Antrum, made in the 70s as well as the full movie itself. I'm a sucker for these evil pieces of art that either drives the consumer crazy, summons some unworldly horror or just plain kills anyone who dares to watch it. Antrum is above the average entry to this genre. The mockumentary is quite basic but the actual film is pretty good. It has some stupid moments (like everything related to the hunters) but for the most parts, it's atmospheric and positively weird. And that squirrel