A Personal Journey with The Gunslinger45 through the Movies: A Top 50+

→ in
Tools    

People's obsession with zombies have ruined zombie movies for me. It seems to have really started a decade ago with Shaun of the Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

First of all, a zombie apocalypse would be the worst thing ever. You do not want to pray for it to happen. To me, people wishing for zombie apocalypses is like wishing for AIDS if it didn't already exist. It is that stupid and nuts to me. Not only do you have to deal with dying if there's a zombie apocalypse, but even worse than that -- there's UNDEATH. Staying alive forever as a zombie. Eating PEOPLE. Every day. Several times.

Come on! And you all want a zombie apocalypse? Do you all really want to go chasing around all kinds of people to eat them? Fat people, old grannies, the handicapped, the severely ugly -- you'd be wanting to eat every last bit of their flesh? This is the world we live in? Where people want this? People are hoping for a zombie apocalypse??? There's nothing sicker! My God -- if you must pig out, go to an All You Can Eat Buffet. There's something incredibly disturbing about everyone's desire for a zombie apocalypse to break out. THIS IS HOW PEOPLE WANT THE WORLD TO END??? By eating everything that moves?! SICK, SICK, SICK! Caligula wouldn't even understand this zombie apocalypse worldwide fetish. I mean, this is as foul as it gets. And don't tell me you just want the chance to fight off zombies with various tool shed weapons -- you must face the reality that you could lose in a battle with zombies and turn into a zombie yourself. And then you'll be eating everybody in sight. That is sick, man. That is real sick.

No one wishes for any of this to happen. I want the sun to rise and fall, for the trains to work on time, and for my internet to continue to happen.

However if the world HAS to end? If Scenario A, B, or C all involve the literal end of the world to happen and there is no None of the Above Option, I will take the zombies any day of the week. But given a real choice: give me normalcy any day.

People's obsession with zombies have ruined zombie movies for me. It seems to have really started a decade ago with Shaun of the Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

First of all, a zombie apocalypse would be the worst thing ever. You do not want to pray for it to happen. To me, people wishing for zombie apocalypses is like wishing for AIDS if it didn't already exist. It is that stupid and nuts to me. Not only do you have to deal with dying if there's a zombie apocalypse, but even worse than that -- there's UNDEATH. Staying alive forever as a zombie. Eating PEOPLE. Every day. Several times.

Come on! And you all want a zombie apocalypse? Do you all really want to go chasing around all kinds of people to eat them? Fat people, old grannies, the handicapped, the severely ugly -- you'd be wanting to eat every last bit of their flesh? This is the world we live in? Where people want this? People are hoping for a zombie apocalypse??? There's nothing sicker! My God -- if you must pig out, go to an All You Can Eat Buffet. There's something incredibly disturbing about everyone's desire for a zombie apocalypse to break out. THIS IS HOW PEOPLE WANT THE WORLD TO END??? By eating everything that moves?! SICK, SICK, SICK! Caligula wouldn't even understand this zombie apocalypse worldwide fetish. I mean, this is as foul as it gets. And don't tell me you just want the chance to fight off zombies with various tool shed weapons -- you must face the reality that you could lose in a battle with zombies and turn into a zombie yourself. And then you'll be eating everybody in sight. That is sick, man. That is real sick.
I agree with this, although there are plenty of good zombie flicks. Night of the Living Dead, for example, is pretty fantastic.

The Road Warrior (AKA Mad Max 2): 1981 (R) -19
Australia / Warner Brothers
100%

This ladies and gentlemen was a film I first saw in my early years of college. And at one point in time it was also my favorite movie. But times change and while still a much loved film, the stock has taken a hit. Sadly part of that was slightly due in part to certain Mel Gibson scandals.

But as a film itself this film boasts an absolutely brilliant production design and concept. From the look of Max’s Ford Falcon (one of the best movie vehicles ever), the desert scenery, to the costumes for Humongous and his band of raiders, this movie set the standard for post apocalyptic fiction. The film would go on to influence everything from Fist of the North Star, Fallout, to countless Italian rip-offs. And as a rookie college prepper, my fascination with post apocalyptic fiction was due in large part to the Mad Max world. And this movie is action galore with vehicular carnage! And all the stunts are done with practical effects and no unnecessary CGI. Which is always a good thing.

Throw in plenty of unique characters like the Gyro Captain, the Feral Kid, and Humongous himself and you got a pretty memorable movie! Fun times for all!
This movie is an Kurosawa movie set in post-apocalyptic Australia, one of the best movies ever made indeed, it's very iconic and extremely memorable with it's very creative view of a post-apocalyptic world.

I also considered placing it as my favorite movie of all time though now it fallen a lot, it still remains in my top 100. I might re-watch it though, since it has been 4 years since I watched it.

No one wishes for any of this to happen. I want the sun to rise and fall, for the trains to work on time, and for my internet to continue to happen.

However if the world HAS to end? If Scenario A, B, or C all involve the literal end of the world to happen and there is no None of the Above Option, I will take the zombies any day of the week. But given a real choice: give me normalcy any day.
Even if the world HAS to end, I would not want a zombie apocalypse. That's what I can't understand. If there's a zombie apocalypse, chances are, you'll turn into a zombie! Don't give me any of this bull about being a survivor and a fighter and being able to fend off all the zombies -- YOU PROBABLY WON'T. You'll probably get eaten. And then you'll turn into a zombie yourself. And you'll eat people FOR ALL ETERNITY. Until everyone's been eaten. And then all of the zombies will be eating themselves. For eternity. Until the last mouth wins.

That is sick as Hell. Disturbing as Hell. WORSE THAN HELL. And you want the end of the world to be like this????? THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR!

Even if the world HAS to end, I would not want a zombie apocalypse. That's what I can't understand. If there's a zombie apocalypse, chances are, you'll turn into a zombie! Don't give me any of this bull about being a survivor and a fighter and being able to fend off all the zombies -- YOU PROBABLY WON'T. You'll probably get eaten. And then you'll turn into a zombie yourself. And you'll eat people FOR ALL ETERNITY. Until everyone's been eaten. And then all of the zombies will be eating themselves. For eternity. Until the last mouth wins.

That is sick as Hell. Disturbing as Hell. WORSE THAN HELL. And you want the end of the world to be like this????? THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR!
But I am not asking for it though. And yes. It would be Hell. Any way the world will end will be literal Armageddon. The Zombie Apocalypse thing is more of a power fantasy played out by nerds who have too much time on their hands. Which did describe me in college.

But I am not asking for it though. And yes. It would be Hell. Any way the world will end will be literal Armageddon.
But I would rather DIE for good than die and be a zombie forever! You, however, don't want that option! That's what I don't understand. Why would anybody want a zombie apocalypse?????

But I do not want it to happen in the first place.
I understand you don't want it to happen in the first place, but you said that if there was an apocalypse -- if something like that had to happen -- you'd take a ZOMBIE apocalypse. That's what I can't believe.

Whereas I would rather take a definitive end -- a comet wipes us all out, nuclear bombs -- something like that. Something that kills you and keeps you dead.

Well given the choice between nuclear holocaust, a literal Armageddon (Hell on Earth), and a zombie apocalypse while still horrible, zombie seems the more preferable option. Call it my innate desire to survive.

I would much prefer a quick end than a seemingly endless nightmare like a zombie apocalypse.

Well given the choice between nuclear holocaust, a literal Armageddon (Hell on Earth), and a zombie apocalypse while still horrible, zombie seems the more preferable option.
Oh, God, no. I would totally go for the nuclear holocaust. Hell on Earth with demons and such might be worse than a zombie apocalypse, but a nuclear holocaust is a much better way to die/experience the end of the world -- than a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

Die Hard: 1988 (R) -8
USA / 20th Century Fox
92% (CF)

Do I really need to go into detail? It is DIE HARD! Nuff said!

I grew up on the action movies of the 80’s and early 90’s. I must have rented damn near every action flick of that nature from Blockbuster multiple times growing up. And the quintessential action movie from the 80’s has to be Die Hard. Which is odd since this was first penned to be Commando 2. But that is a very long story. Die Hard was the movie that made Bruce Willis into a huge action star, made John McClane into a very popular action hero, and gave us Alan Rickman.

I will say I like this film quite a bit because McClane is normal guy in this action movie. A man with flaws and is not an unstoppable killing machine. He is a schmuck in the wrong place at the wrong time that has to try and survive. And that concept works really well. Makes for a great film and an 80’s classic.

Call it my innate desire to survive.
In a zombie state? Eating people all day, every day? Decaying? Smelling foul? Having a miserable life?

In a zombie state? Eating people all day, every day? Decaying? Smelling foul? Having a miserable life?
I prefer that to death

EDIT: I thought by state you meant zombies ruling the world. No I would not like to be a zombie ever.

I see you prefer the quick way.
I prefer the option that gives me the best chance to try and survive. No matter how slim. But to each their own.
Yeah, and a Zombie apocalypse may be extremely emotionally exciting journey for survival.

Indeed, my life is worth very much that 1% chance of survival in a Zombie apocalypse even though I would have to undergo to an extremely traumatic experience is better than a 0% chance of survival.

You guys have horrible views on life. Life would NOT be worth living in a zombie world. Imagine watching people you love turn into zombies and feasting on other people. Trying to eat you, too. I think it's so sad. I would rather die remembering a good world than trying to live in a dark world like that.