Drip, drip, drop, little April Song Tournament

Tools    

I listened to "Wichita" first and I don't even want to listen to anything else now. It's totally unfair for any of these other songs to have to try to follow that.
Listen to mine next (Anaal Nathrakh); you'd probably hate it anyway so no damage was done

1. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
  2. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
  3. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
  4. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
  5. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
  6. Heart - Barracuda
  7. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
  8. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
  9. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
  10. Orville Peck - Summertime
  11. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
  12. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

my r5 nom
Nogizaka46 - Sekkachi na Katatsumuri

*edited; thx chyp

R5 nom (this time before my votes):
Seremonia - Itsemurhaaja II

Lyrics ('cause I had too much time in my hands  

Let's write some comments this round (no promises that I'll keep up writing, though):

1) Heart - Barracuda
This is probably my favorite Heart song and a genuine 70s classic that's deserved its status. One of the songs that never gets old.

2) Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset
Aggressive, chaotic, hateful, and pompous. I get that it's not for everyone and I expect it to finish last this round, but in a proper state of mind it's amazing.

3) Gretchen Peters - Wichita
I have to agree with the earlier voters; this is a really good country. Good, grim story and beautiful music.

4) Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
There's no denying it's beautiful. Not the music I'd put on myself but it isn't without its appeal.

5) Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
A tad monotonous but still pretty decent. It also tells a proper story which is always a plus for this sort of music.

6) Orville Peck - Summertime
I shouldn't have watched the video. The song itself is rather decent and I like his voice, but the video makes it feel like a bad joke.

7) Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
Other than the chorus this is quite good. The chorus isn't only bad but it doesn't fit the rest of the song at all.

8) Queensryche - Jet City Woman (Remaster)
Queensrÿche has never really worked with me. Operation Mindcrime is quite a good album but other than that they're mediocre at best. Not a bad song for them but still forgettable.

9) Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
I didn't listen to Kershaw back in the 80s and it seems like it's not going to change now either. It's not bad enough to hate but something I just rather don't listen to.

10) City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
Clapping in music is among the things I hate so the chorus is really killing this. Not that it's my music anyways but that clapping just makes my ears bleed.

11) Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
A redneck country (or something). I don't like that yodling singing style at all. This style kind of works as a joke but this didn't make me laugh.

12) Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me (Remaster)
This song annoyed me in the film already and it fares even worse without the movie.

A system of cells interlinked
1 Queensryche - Jet City Woman
2 Heart - Barracuda
3 Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset
4 City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
5 Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
6 Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
7 Gretchen Peters - Wichita
8 Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
9 Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
10 Orville Peck - Summertime
11 Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
12 Kenny Rogers - Goodbye

Too much country music!

City and Colour was a nice surprise. Good tune, that. Wichita was the best out of all the country.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
JET CITY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAH-MAAAAAAAAANNnnnnnnnnnn....
ever notice the singer looks like he could be Eddie Vedder's bro? At times in their old videos? Not now, dude has no hair now. Tate I mean, not Vedder. But woah, if Vedder shaved his head clean you MIGHT not be able to tell the difference! I'm curious. Anyone care to sign a White House Petition if I start one, to see this done? You have to be a U.S. citizen though. Not sure how many of you that might exclude. Probably just the ones who would want to help.

hm.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Also, before this comes to blows, it will be probably tonight after work before I offer my votes for the current round. For some reason my boss keeps calling me into his office to watch him aimlessly click around PowerPoint objects an hour at a time while he tries to troubleshoot how links work.

=\

Heart - Barracuda

Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

Orville Peck - Summertime

Peeping Tom - Five Seconds § (alt link if needed)

Queensryche - Jet City Woman

Gretchen Peters - Wichita

City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness § (alt link if needed)

Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me

Kenny Rogers - Goodbye

Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal

Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness § (alt link if needed) (must be my favorite voice ever)
Queensryche - Jet City Woman (this song kick ass)
Heart - Barracuda
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset
Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
Peeping Tom - Five Seconds § (alt link if needed)
Gretchen Peters - Wichita
Orville Peck - Summertime
Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

some really good songs and some really decent imo

Let the night air cool you off
1. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
- Damn. I've never heard this song before, I don't even know if I've ever heard any other song from Gretchen Peters before, so being completely blown away by this song is such an awesome surprise. This is why I like these tournaments. Plus it's awesome that somebody else nominated such a good country song. This is when country music is at its best. A fantastic story, dark and nasty and hateful; A narrator that is dangerous, seen things we can't imagine, lived through and doesn't give a f*ck what we think about it.

2. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
- My nom. This is a great example of Billy Joe's writing. It has his sense of humor all over it. It'll be easy for people to hear this and think it's simple, but Billy Joe don't get paid by the word or letter, and he damn sure don't get paid by the letter per word. He says it like he needs to and then he gets on with it.

3. Heart - Barracuda
- You can find a lot of forced "badass" chicks, but the Wilson sisters are legit. This song is iconic, so it would be futile to resist its charm.

4. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
- Yeah, sure, this is a badass song, but Gretchen Peters would put all these cowboys down in Wichita.

5. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
- I wasn't keen on the vocals at first, as the contrast of metal music with actual singing can be just as abrasive as the rough vocals if you don't know what to expect at first. But by the end of the song, I was all the way bought in. This has been a badass round.

6. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
- Solid song; probably not as good as its reputation would indicate.

7. Anal Nathrakhi - Vanitas
- I think I was supposed to hate this one per the nominator, but they should consider this a failed mission. Despite the vocals of these type of songs still not clicking with me entirely even though I've tried multiple times to get into more bands with similar stylings, this song worked for me. It makes me want to kick holes in walls; a requirement for good metal tracks. That said, it's not going on any of my playlists any time soon.

8. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
- I respect the hell out of Kenny Rogers, but a lot of his songs don't do it for me. This one was a little too schmaltzy for me. That said. RIP, he was a true legend. And he got one over on MJ on the basketball court once, which many of his peers never even did that. Kenny was a true legend.

9. Orville Peck - Summertime
- I've tried to like Peck several times; it jus hasn't happened. He gets on my nerve. It's cool that he's trying to do something different in the country sphere, but he comes off as a tool to me. I like Lana Del Ray, but I hate his attempts at male Lana in this track. Also f*ck his stupid masks. Sorry, Cap. I promise I'll like the rest of your nominations more.

10. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
- Reminds me of a lot of different white bands of the time (and I guess for about 20 year period) that I just didn't care for at all.

11. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
- Not for me; lead singer just came off as annoying to me.

12. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
- The 80's were a time of such a fine line between great and terrible.

1. Heart - Barracuda
  2. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
  3. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
  4. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
  5. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset (that scream to white noise bumped it up a rank or three, btw (apparently soft returns count as full returns in list groups))
  6. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
  7. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
  8. Orville Peck - Summertime
  9. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
  10. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
  11. Nik Kershaw - I won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (who knew Chris Chambers of Stand By Me grew up to become a pop star. I thought he got shot or something?) Nice song, just the Jamaican bounce during the chorus was too much for me
  12. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All the votes are in so here's the result for Round 3:

1st - Budgie - Breadfan (93 pts)

Grats to resopamenic on getting their tune through to the Final

Round 4 up in an hour and a half or thereabouts....

Congratulations @resopamenic!