Drip, drip, drop, little April Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
2) Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
3) Gretchen Peters - Wichita
4) Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
5) City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
6) Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
7) Orville Peck - Summertime
8) Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
9) Queensryche - Jet City Woman
10) Heart - Barracuda
11) Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
12) Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

I'll be back in a little while with my nom for the next round.

Round 4

1. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
(Lived up to JJ's hype. No musical genre does storytelling better than country, and this is a prime example of it here. Dark, dangerous, with a timeless sound. Add Peters to the list of artists I'll be checking out.)

2. Queensyrche - Jet City Woman
(I mentioned earlier that I became a fan of Queensyrche after a previous nomination inspired me to dig deeper into their catalogue. It was this song and that super catchy, very 80's chorus that officially won me over. I even had this written down as a possible future nomination.)

3. Billie Joe Shaver - I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal
(Country doesn't get more authentic than Billie Joe Shaver.)

4. Orville Peck - Summertime
(This newest single has gotten a lot of play from me in recent days. The crescendo is pretty glorious, and the song is short enough that it leaves me wanting more. I've enjoyed some of Peck's other songs as well, but I'm more in love with the idea of him and his potential than anything he's produced so far. His voice is like the reincarnation of Roy Orbison, and his sound feels like it's lifted from the 50's as well but with a modern spin. I love his aesthetic. I love the masks. I love that he's openly gay and is providing a fresh voice that is inviting new fans to country music that typically feel ostrascized by the backwoods, bigoted views much of the fanbase still shares. None of that has cohered into anything transcendent yet, but I think Peck has the potential for greatness.)

5. Heart - Barracuda
(I often "penalize" monster songs like this that everyone already knows, preferring to prioritize lesser known songs and artists since I join these tournaments partly in the hopes of discovering new favorites, but despite being a classic rock staple, this song is too damn good and too timeless to not rank somewhat high.)

6. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony & Me
(I nominated this in a country tournament we did awhile back, and I think it made it to the finals or semi-finals. Needless to say, I love it. One of my favorite scenes. One of my favorite movies.)

7. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
(I forget that Chapman had another hit besides "Give Me One Reason." I've always thought she had an excellent voice with a lot of character, so I really should listen to more of her stuff. The music here is just a tad monotonous, however.)

8. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
(Who knew the sun was so insistent on oral sex? I feel like this has been a very heavy round, whether through musical styles or lyrical content, so maybe that's why such an upbeat, happy sound feels like a nice respite right now, even if this song is about as cool as an Hawaiian shirt.)

9. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset
(Clearly this is a gbg nomination. I can go heavy, but not quite to this extreme. I always admire the speed and aggression with which these type of bands can play, but it's just too chaotic and exhausting for me to enjoy. I did mostly enjoy the vocals, however.)

10. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
(I want to like this, and parts of it aren't bad, but overall it feels too artistically confused and that chorus feels like it's intentionally grating.)

11. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
(What JJ said.)

12. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
(The vocals and lyrics aren't strong enough to overcome the acoustic blandness, and that chorus is especially weak.)

r4 votes:

Heart - Barracuda
Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset
Queensryche - Jet City Woman
City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
Gretchen Peters - Wichita
Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
Orville Peck - Summertime
Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me

R4
  1. Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
  2. Heart - Barracuda
  3. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
  4. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
  5. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
  6. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
  7. Orville Peck - Summertime
  8. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
  9. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
  10. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
  11. Pooping Tom - Five Seconds
  12. Anal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

R4
  1. Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
  2. Heart - Barracuda
  3. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
  4. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
  5. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
  6. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
  7. Orville Peck - Summertime
  8. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
  9. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
  10. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
  11. Pooping Tom - Five Seconds
  12. Anal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

Let the night air cool you off
Round 4

4. Orville Peck - Summertime
(This newest single has gotten a lot of play from me in recent days. The crescendo is pretty glorious, and the song is short enough that it leaves me wanting more. I've enjoyed some of Peck's other songs as well, but I'm more in love with the idea of him and his potential than anything he's produced so far. His voice is like the reincarnation of Roy Orbison, and his sound feels like it's lifted from the 50's as well but with a modern spin. I love his aesthetic. I love the masks. I love that he's openly gay and is providing a fresh voice that is inviting new fans to country music that typically feel ostrascized by the backwoods, bigoted views much of the fanbase still shares. None of that has cohered into anything transcendent yet, but I think Peck has the potential for greatness.)
Do you have another Peck song you can recommend me to check out? I don't remember what all I've tried of his, but I haven't liked any of them yet.

Even though I'm not in love with it, I can't deny he does have a unique voice.

I'd also completely agree that the idea of him is better than what he's done so far, but I think maybe you are higher on his potential than I am.

I haven't really thought of him as modernizing the 50's, so that's something for me to chew on the next time I listen to him.

His aesthetic has made me roll my eyes so far; this is just a preference thing between us that ultimately doesn't matter.

I also think him being gay and in country is just a talking point that doesn't actually matter to the music listeners. I don't think any people that like Peck are going to go from Peck to anybody else in country. It'll probably start with Peck and stop with Peck; Peck IS unique and interesting in a way that non-country fans will like, but if that's the draw, they won't move to the non-interesting country artists. I think people are more likely to go from Musgraves to Peck than the other way around.

If you want an openly gay country artist recommendation: Lavender Country... from the 70's, where actual bigoted views kept them from being bigger. I think the idea of homophobia running rampant in country music fans is overblown. I know people think Country = Southern = Homophobic, I just don't buy that. That's a different conversation and we don't have to have it.

Anyway, I still say it's a good nomination because it has made me think about it more than any other nomination in this tournament... other than "Wichita"

@jiraffejustin, I assume you've heard Peck's "Dead of Night," since that was his first single and it appears to be his most popular tune so far. That was my introduction to him. I didn't like the song at first, but I guess I heard it enough times that eventually it won me over with its lonely desert motel sound. The only other two songs from his album that I've continued to listen to are the Elvis-style crooner, "Roses Are Falling," and "Take You Back (The Iron Hoof Cattle Call)," which would not have sounded too out of place in a Technicolor western.

Obviously he has a long, long way to go to be great. He hasn't even reached good yet, but I think his voice will take him far. His biggest weakness is his songwriting. Unless he takes a giant leap in that regard, he'll likely need to partner up with others who can best utilize his talent if he's going to be more than just a country curiosity. It also wouldn't surprise me if he embraces a more mainstream, poppy sound, but I hope that doesn't happen.

Never heard of Lavender Country. Just listened to "Cryin' These C*cksucking Tears." Not at all a fan of the singer's voice, but those lyrics are sure something.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
R4
  1. Pooping Tom - Five Seconds

why i oughta!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Round 4:

1. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
2. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
3. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
4. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
5. Heart - Barracuda
6. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
7. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
8. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
9. Orville Peck - Summertime
10. Kenny Rogers - Goodbye
11. Gretchen Peters - Wichita
12. Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset

Cap'n T rounds out the votes so here's the result for Round 4:

1st - Heart - Barracuda (116 pts)

2nd - Queensryche - Jet City Woman (101 pts)
3rd - Gretchen Peters - Wichita (98 pts)
4th - Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (83 pts)
5th - Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me (78 pts)
6th - City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness (77 pts)
7th - Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal (73 pts)
8th - Peeping Tom - Five Seconds (67 pts)
9th - Kenny Rogers - Goodbye (65 pts)
10th - Anaal Nathrakh - Forging Towards the Sunset (61 pts)
11th - Orville Peck - Summertime (60 pts)
12th - Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (57 pts)

Grats to resopamenic on doubling up in the Final

Still fourteen hours and change remaining for nominations before I'll be putting Round 5 up ....

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
... It also wouldn't surprise me if he embraces a more mainstream, poppy sound, but I hope that doesn't happen.

A system of cells interlinked
Queensryche came close, but no cigar!

Round 4:

1. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
2. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
3. Peeping Tom - Five Seconds
4. Queensryche - Jet City Woman
5. Heart - Barracuda
6. Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
7. Billy Joe Shaver - I'm Just An Old Chunk of Coal
8. Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me
9. Orville Peck - Summertime