Alien Worlds

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I can't tell from that trailer if this is meant to be a documentary or a fictional series.

It does sound like it could tip in either direction...toward fun or stupidity, as you state. The British accent made it sound like documentary, but the actual images look more like "Let's have fun imagining what could be already going on elsewhere." Almost like alternate universes but with different planets/solar systems.

And was it just me, or did that ending title shot kinda look the way the title shot for the movie ALIEN looks?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I didn't see Mother in any of that.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Okay, so apparently this series is now available on Netflix. I might watch the first episode in a little bit and see whether it hooks me. The fact that the little trailer that shows up on Netflix when you log in still looks like a PBS documentary confuses me. Well, not really. I know they're doing it on purpose, but it makes me wonder what to expect in terms of tone, ambiance, and, well, general "feel" for the series.

I just watched the first episode.

It's a strange mix of actual documentary of creatures and people on Earth... and then the same voice, attitude, and perspective as if they are telling you about an actual planet (in episode one it's "Atlas") and actual creatures. At the end I did hear the word "imaginary" once, but until that point, it's this stupid fake documentary.

I found the actual Earth parts to be interesting--insects, meerkats, falcons, paragliders--but the imaginary stuff was completely useless and pointless, IMHO. Since it's done in documentary style, the otherwise cool-looking imaginary creatures have no personalities and aren't "characters," as they might have been were this told as a completely fictional tale with a beginning, middle, and end.

So, I didn't care about what happened to the imaginary creatures on this imaginary planet. Cycle of life...birth, feeding, reproduction, death. All completely made up.

The gist in adding the Earth bits was clearly to give them a jumping-off point to compare the "what-ifs" of far-flung planets. What if a world had more gravity than Earth? What if it had half darkness/half light? etc.

Those are all interesting questions, but to just leap into documentary form and state all these things about imaginary creatures and their mating habits, eating habits, etc., felt like a waste of time. My time.

I would much rather have just seen a story told with these otherwise interesting creatures...as characters. I have no interest in them as made-up elements of a made-up documentary. I kept checking how many minutes were left before I could click off and come here to say I had at least watched a full episode.

But that's 45 minutes I'll never get back.

I'd be curious if anyone else has a different take on this series.