Movie? Trope "They Can't Cage This"

Tools    

"They Can't Cage This" [points to head], in reference to being locked up in penitentiary but still free in their mind and intellect.

I've heard it here and there, often as a joke but I imagine it started as a genuine sentiment from a film or television program about prison. Any idea where this line originated?

Related trope: someone gets out of jail/prison after a long time - maybe wrongly convicted - and they're asked how they survived the incarceration. "I was always free" in their mind/spirit.

I can't find any examples of yours or mine. Sorry.

Found mine in Quantum Leap

[Al the hologram didn't tell Sam to free him from the POW camp while he was leaping, instead letting Sam save his brother's life]
Al: What the hell. I got repatriated in 5 years.
Sam: You could have been free.
[taps his temple and smiles faintly]
Al: I was free up here... I was always free.

[Al the hologram didn't tell Sam to free him from the POW camp while he was leaping, instead letting Sam save his brother's life]

Pretty darn close

"They Can't Cage This" [points to head], in reference to being locked up in penitentiary but still free in their mind and intellect.

I've heard it here and there, often as a joke but I imagine it started as a genuine sentiment from a film or television program about prison. Any idea where this line originated?
You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind. Mahatma Gandhi

I entered the phrase in Google, and got this from Bob's Burgers

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/eb53943...6d2a30838b/gif

For me, the most memorable scene in any television show that I have ever seen. M.I.A / The Leap Home: Part 1 / The Leap Home: Part 2 -- what a dramatic arc!

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I mean, it sounds like the scene in Shawshank after Andy gets out of solitary for playing opera over the PA.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I mean, it sounds like the scene in Shawshank after Andy gets out of solitary for playing opera over the PA.

This is from the 90's, there's got to be a film from the 40's-60's where this originated. Also, side note, my Grandfather served time in Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio where Shawshank was shot, when he first got out of the navy in the 1960s. I believe he came to some deal with the navy to serve a sentence instead of receiving an dis-honorable discharge because he wanted to leave, but I'm not entirely sure on the details.

The Birdman of Alcatraz It sounds like something form the main character of this movie would say. It's about a prisoner who is highly intelligent. He tames a wild bird and becomes fascinated with them and studies them. It's a great movie with Burt Lancaster.

The Birdman of Alcatraz It sounds like something form the main character of this movie would say. It's about a prisoner who is highly intelligent. He tames a wild bird and becomes fascinated with them and studies them. It's a great movie with Burt Lancaster.

Although I don't remember such a sequence in this movie, it's the sort of thing which Burt Lancaster might have said to Karl Malden. Well worth pursuing, IMO.