2014 Oscars

Tools    

2013 is behind us -- Once more the Oscars are in. All things considered, it was a good year for candidates. I didn't feel like any of them were "bought and paid for" like I do some years. In the big categories (actors, film and direction), they almost all could have won. I was a little disappointed that Bruce Dern didn't win for Nebraska, but, on the other hand, McConauhey was epic in Dallas Buyer's Club.

Same thing with Amy Adams and Judi Dench who could easily have taken the BA, except that Cate Blanchett was so good in Blue Jasmine, especially since the role was so much of a departure from her usual icy-cool roles.

I'm sorry that Spike Jonze and Her didn't win something bigger than original screenplay, at least for the high-wasted Sansabelt pants and the super-Siri character. That was such an odd movie, I guess it wasn't in the cards.

Gravity, scoring for cinematography seemed so obvious...the only 3D movie I've seen that was worth the glasses....not much of a plot, but great visuals.

Costumes were great in Gatsby, only American Hustle being close on that one.

My one significant gripe, Sound Editing for Gravity? In the silence of space? What? Does that make sense? I would have voted for All is Lost on that one.

All is Lost deserved a couple special awards, like for a nearly wordless movie with a cast consisting of one 77 year old against the ocean. That movie had an overdose of primal fear coupled with the question of what he was doing out there in the first place.

As for Best Picture - 12 Years a Slave, a worthy choice, only made difficult because of movies like American Hustle, Dallas Buyer's Club, Philomena and Nebraska. All things considered it was an embarrassment of riches this year.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
As far as the show is concerned, I found for the Golden Globe Awards to be more entertaining as far as content goes. I didn't feel like there was as much useless filler, commercials, and whatnot. Thankfully, I was able to lean on the entertainment of the Mofos to keep myself from banging my head into the wall. Ellen Degenerate never really clicked, and a lot of the live-acts weren't as entertaining as I would have liked.

As for what matters, I was a little perplexed with how Gravity managed to sweep in and out with seven awards. I watched Gravity in theaters, and happily jump on the wagon when it comes to dishing out praise for the movie. There was a lot of chemistry between Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and they both gave honest and believable performances. However, what really set Gravity over the edge was the impeccable special-effects and cinematography that enabled for the movie to excel. I believe that it deserved a lot of the awards that it got, but I am not convinced that it deserved all of them.

Thankfully, I'll have time to answer that question for myself when Twelve Years a Slave, Wolf of Wall-Street, and American Hustle all come out on DVD later on this month. I wanted to see all three of them in theaters, but alas, 'twas not meant to be. Instead of American Hustle and Wolf, the nearest theater to me provided 47 Ronin and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The Great Gatsby winning was a surprise, another movie that I saw in theaters, and while I don't believe that it was great, there was a decent entertainment value. The movie had a lot of flash, and it got rewarded here. It admittedly does bother me that American Hustle and Wolf of Wall-Street won nothing, while Gatsby excelled, however, simply because of how unspectacular in overall decency.

I actually got all the acting categories and director and best picture right. Won't say in my picks because I picked JLaw but I meant to change it, I knew Luptia would win.

All and all I think they did a good job with these awards. 12 Years A Slave was a worthy winner. My favorite out of the nominees was Dallas Buyers Club but I knew it had no chance. By the way was that Pitt's first Oscar? Happy he finally got it if in fact it was. It's beyond a joke him or Leo don't have an acting Oscar yet.

Speaking of Leo, I was pulling for him, but I was happy with McConaughey I knew he would win and he did give a hell of a performance. If you would have told me McConaughey would have won a best acting Oscar 5 years ago I would have died from laughter, good on him for making a conscience choice to pick good projects that challenge him. I would have been content with Chiwetel winning as well. Everything went basically how I excepted with the acting categories.

Ellen didn't really do a great job hosting IMO, granted I didn't see her opening monologue. Seemed awkward for some of the audience, she just relied on them to provide entertainment.They really need to figure out a way to make the show better, they need an overhaul. Some hosts that I would like to see next year.

-JGL
-NPH (duh)
-Jimmy Fallon (would never happen ABC vs NBC)
-Jimmy Kimmel (It will happen one did ABC would love it)
-Justin Timberlake
-Anyone entertaining!

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

It was an overall good show. Nothing left me upset anywhere, seeing as hoe gravity didn't get any major wins. I can't complain. I still think The Wind Rises should have beat Frozen, but I didn't actually expect it to.

It was an overall good show. Nothing left me upset anywhere, seeing as hoe gravity didn't get any major wins. I can't complain. I still think The Wind Rises should have beat Frozen, but I didn't actually expect it to.
I was also quite interested in the animated films category. I thought Miyazaki had it in the bag, but then great reviews for Frozen started pouring in. All I know is that I need to watch both of them ASAP.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I'm very happy because after, 15 years, the oscar for the best foreign language film come back to Italy
Did you see The great beauty? Did you like it?

Best Director isn't a "major win"? What?
That will likely only reflect on the director and help a few ads along. Losing the best picture and actress will have a more profound effect. I honestly don't see best director as the big thing it used to be.

I was thrilled for Matthew McConaighey...this is a guy who has been struggling for Hollywood respect for a very long time. His performance in A TIME TO KILL proved that he had the ability to be an actor of substance with the right role and I'm so glad that DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB finally provided him with that role.

I havent seen Dalls Buyers Club but know McConaugheys work on True Detective proves he's a deserved talent.

Ok, NOBODY applauded the actors and filmmakers that died this past year! That had to have been by design (they told the audience to not applaude), or at least I hope it was. Much rather would have heard a roar for Gandolfini or Hoffman than see Bette Midler singing the Beaches song.

I havent seen Dalls Buyers Club but know McConaugheys work on True Detective proves he's a deserved talent.

Ok, NOBODY applauded the actors and filmmakers that died this past year! That had to have been by design (they told the audience to not applaude), or at least I hope it was. Much rather would have heard a roar for Gandolfini or Hoffman than see Bette Midler singing the Beaches song.
They turned off the microphone so we couldn't hear it, I'm sure. For which I am extremely grateful. I don't like measuring people's relative importance in death ("Best Death," as it's morbidly called) through a round of applause. It's in really poor taste, and I'm thrilled we don't have to hear it any more.

Captain Phillips was excellent but it certainly wasn't robbed at the Oscars in my eyes.
I think there were some snubs against Philips, I truly believe Hanks deserved an acting nomination, and the movie should have received more accolades in film editing.

They turned off the microphone so we couldn't hear it, I'm sure. For which I am extremely grateful. I don't like measuring people's relative importance in death ("Best Death," as it's morbidly called) through a round of applause. It's in really poor taste, and I'm thrilled we don't have to hear it any more.
That's really smart. Also, i don't think anyone clapped trough the full segment. That would not be good for your hands.

I will tell you who was robbed... The Hunt!

McConaugheys acceptance speech was boring!