What Is The Most Disturbing Film?

Tools    

no......don't put that in the glossary.

i would say;

A Clockwork Orange

the rape scene in The Accused (Jodie Foster),

and most of the ultraviolent gory for gory's sake slasher movies where people are just mutilated one by one by some crazy psychopath......e.g. Chainsaw Massacre, et.al.

bleck.....we can do much better things with film.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by patti
no......don't put that in the glossary.
Yeah I know, I was only kidding.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Forgot a super-duper deluxe with cheese disturbing flick...

Gummo (1997 - Harmony Korine)

You'll never look at drinking strawberry milk in a filthy tub that looks like it's filled with rust and root beer or little boys in fluffy bunny suits playing the accordian in a public toilet the same way again. Truly bizarre and completely disturbing, kind of like Freaks meets Pink Flamingos. That Harmony Korine should be locked-up or something.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Cell and Event Horizon - disturbing, but somewhat fascinating

I don't think a movie's being disturbing makes it inherently bad. For example:

Bully, which I just saw recently, scared the bejesus outta me, and I think it's a great movie. Kids was disturbing as well, & that movie is fantastic.

I haven't seen Gummo, but I thought julien donkey-boy was fascinating.

Cries and Whispers is disturbing to me too. I still think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I don't think a movie's being disturbing makes it inherently bad.
I don't think it makes it inherently good -- and, let's face it, lots of people seem to think that it does. Oh, it deals with drugs in an open and candid manner; it's great! Oh, it "tackles" the issue of teen sexuality in a very raw and disturbing way: powerful! Well, yeah, sure...maybe it got your attention, but that doesn't make it a good movie...it doesn't make it an impressive piece of work if the subject matter is simply shocking enough that no one bothered with it before.

Holden, you will know the name of this......it escapes me at the moment.....a documentary flic about a cartoonist......weird bony little guy with a mustache?......reminds me of john waters......his brother is a depressed homebound mass of oddness.....damnnnn- what's the name......
the title is his name......

not a bad video......just disturbing IMO

I'm just tossing in a couple that may have been mention that were qutie distrubing for me

Pink Flamingo - I'm scared to watch other earlier works by Water cause of this film.

U-Turn - just really gets to me, I love Penn's character but for the whole movie I wanted him to get the hell out other. it fuk with my mind big time.

Full Metal Jacket - Not so much the whole of the movie but the final last 10 or so minutes with an attack on the senses.

David Cronenberg films I go back to the all the time but they are very messed up espically Fly, The (1986) Shivers (1975)
Rabid (1977)

Asshault on Precinct 13 - senseless violence the S_it is the pits but it doesn't always get to me Carpenter just hit a nerve I guess

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Documentary that was mentioned a few posts ago is "Crumb," Directed By Terry Zwigoff. Excellent movie BTW.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

monkeypunch- yes, Crumb......i just came back to edit my post and saw yours......i consulted the IMDb and holden (same thing) to find the title. it was good......but whacky. i can still see and hear robert and his housebound brother charles.....their strange depressed tone, way of laughing at their own oddness..........i liked the documentary but came away a bit disturbed.

Crumb's one of my favorite movies - it was sad for me more than anything else, the scenes with his brothers were pretty disturbing though.

Pay it Forward is disturbing to me. How anyone could like a movie so covered in cheese and contrived, unoriginal melodrama is beyond me. I think it's the worst movie I've watched in the past couple of years.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Steve
Pay it Forward is disturbing to me. How anyone could like a movie so covered in cheese and contrived, unoriginal melodrama is beyond me. I think it's the worst movie I've watched in the past couple of years.
I agree. It sucked @ss, even Spacy was melodramatic.

I was going to mention Crumb , but decided against it. I think the entire subject matter of this riveting documentary is fairly unsettling. But the movie is not really viscerally disturbing like most fictional pieces in this category.

But overall, I would say Crumb is a good choice for this list.

Pink Flamingos, which I own on VHS, is not so much disturbing as it is sickening. In total seriousness, this movie really does grow on you, however. It is very entertaining, and is very decent in its own strange way.

I think the magnificent soundtrack helps the viewer get into this movie more easily. It includes:

1) Link Wray- "Swag"

2) Little Richard- "Girl Can't Help It" (His greatest song)

3) Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers- "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent"

4) The Trashmen- "Surfing Bird" (during the most unforgettable scene in cinema history)

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I'd say Event Horizon was a typical flick except for the ONE disturbing part they rushed on anyway - the crew footage of madness. Otherwise it' s really all an "idea" and it's just a typical sci fli action flick.

Crumb, I always sort of wanted to see that. But I had the feeling it would be disturbing and never got around to it.

I'd say subject matter would be the MAIN reason for me that something would be disturbing, which usually influences the action EVENTS we see in the movie. That can also be complemented by direction, cinematography, all that good stuff.

I never really found Se7en particularly disturbing, unless I'm just desensitized. Just felt like the typical action/thriller/serial killer religious fanatic bent and we just got to see the things he did to his victims.

So ... is it a question of these films just having disturbing elements IN them? Because I'll agree to that but truly overall, Se7en didn't make me go home and have popup visions that haunted me for the rest of my life. I'll say it was a good movie and only because of Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey. But it's not a disturbing film in and of itself, just explored the gory details. Like Silence of the Lambs. Or Hannibal.

LBJ!! I saw your sig in Croupier! Is that where it's from, or is there some original source?

Originally posted by thmilin

LBJ!! I saw your sig in Croupier! Is that where it's from, or is there some original source?
yep that's were it's from.

while i'm here I'll add another one

Eureka a Nicholas Roeg Film I love it but it had a lot of weird things in it, not everything made sense either or added up definalty distrubing for me.

I'd say Event Horizon was a typical flick except for the ONE disturbing part they rushed on anyway - the crew footage of madness. Otherwise it' s really all an "idea" and it's just a typical sci fli action flick
yeah there was a little bit of sickness in this movie but all around just a sci-fi - horror.

Now With Moveable Parts
Anyone see Shivers?

yep Cronenberg pretty crazy stuff didn't really distrub me thou. The Fly on the other hand does.

Now With Moveable Parts
I don't know which is more disturbing...the movie (disease being sexually stimulating and people enjoying making love to open sores) OR the fact it didn't disturb you.

Happiness - This film has been stuck in my head since I watched it. It deals with paedophiles, perverts, murderers and masochists. And yet, the director made me laugh out loud for most of it. That's a disturbing movie because I didn't know if I was sick, the director was sick or the entire world was sick. I've come to the conclusion that it's the third.