The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

damn you people, go back to your shanties

Bill Murray, Chevy Chase & Rodney Dangerfield in the same movie

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There are a lot of very good movies which aren't going to make it. I think everyone would agree with that.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Big Trouble in Little China
was on my list. This begs the question: why did I not include They Live? Which is better in my opinion.
I feel ashamed for not putting They Live on my list. That alley fight scene is GOAT, and you all know it.

So 80's

I feel like the '80s list is already over. I am ready to think '70s.

Are we certain that The Terminator will make it? I would definitely have thought Die Hard would be above it. There seems to be a lot more love for that movie here than TT.
The Terminator is a masterpiece, one of the best films ever made. Even Tarkovsky rated it above anything by Hithcock, Apocalypse Now and 2001.

While it's a rather simplistic film, it's elegant and powerful and remains the best edited live action film I ever watched since it's sense of pacing is incredible: it flows like water, just a joy to be appreciated. And it's a accurate reflection of the fears and dangers that the North American 1980's society perceived, just as nuclear annihilation and the fears of artificial intelligence. It also was among the first films to integrate the grandfather paradox into it's plot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox).

I think that Die Had might be the best pure action movie ever made. That's not as high praise as it sounds because the genre is full of mediocre movies that are very popular. Still, Die Hard is one of the few pure action movies that are actually great films IMO. I had it at number 10.
Die Hard is not a great film for me, I was very underwhelmed when I watched it. In fact, I watched Rocky IV on the same day, now that's a great movie.

Also, Die Hard is not a pure action film, it's an action thriller as has been pointed out.

Disappointed that The Terminator is going to finish higher. Die Hard is light years ahead in terms of quality
They are two quite different films and not quite comparable: The Terminator is an apocalyptic science fiction thriller while Die Hard is an action thriller. Aliens is the James Cameron film more similar to Die Hard in some ways.

Die Hard is not a great film for me, I was very underwhelmed when I watched it. In fact, I watched Rocky IV on the same day, now that's a great movie.
You are probably right ... if only Die Hard had more montages and more American flags ...

Also, Die Hard is not a pure action film, it's an action thriller as has been pointed out.
Thanks for pointing out my error.

They are two quite different films and not quite comparable: The Terminator is an apocalyptic science fiction thriller while Die Hard is an action thriller. Aliens is the James Cameron film more similar to Die Hard in some ways.
None of what you wrote relates to what I said so I'll just say ... umm, OK.

I feel ashamed for not putting They Live on my list. That alley fight scene is GOAT, and you all know it.

So 80's
They Live has some memorable scenes and its premise is really good, but let's face it, the execution is really weak. It's just so cheesy. I'm not surprised it didn't make the list.

A system of cells interlinked
Crap - I forgot to put Clue on my list...

I've finally lost it! I have seen that film dozens of times!! it's on my Top 10 list, for crying out loud!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Crap - I forgot to put Clue on my list...

I've finally lost it! I have seen that film dozens of times!! it's on my Top 10 list, for crying out loud!
Generally why I use flickchart.com to document all films I've seen. Then you can filter and make sure you don't miss a film.

Wow, I had Raging Bull at #1 on my list. I expected top 5, at the least.

The last few movies must be really good, then.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood