The Office

Tools    

I think most people in Britain love The Office, I know I certainly do. But I'm curious as to what America thinks of it. I think it won some Golden Globes or something like that. But I also heard that it's not broadcast across the whole country.

So how many of you Americans watch The Office and what do you think of it?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I've seen it on DVD and LOVED it.
I've never seen it broadcast here, but there was a billboard for it in Hollywood.... maybe I just missed the broadcasting, or maybe they marketed the dvd release - not sure. VERY funny stuff, though.

Yes, those of us in the U.S. who have seen "The Office" love it. For me there's only it and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as the absolute best sitcoms of the new millineum. Nothing else comes even close to their perfection.

"The Office" is broadcast on BBC America...but a relatively few number of cable systems here even have that channel as an option, much less have it rack up loads of loyal viewers.

Most of us in The States have discovered the show on DVD. Both seasons have been avaialble, and as of last week the Christmas special is on R1 too, and they have done well sales-wise. But having said that, The Office" will never sell as many units over here in the next ten years as "Seinfeld" will move its very first day on the shelves next week. That's just the way it is.

But yes, "The Office" is beyond brilliant; it's perfect. You know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people think she's just a big pair of ****.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
For me there's only it and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as the absolute best sitcoms of the new millineum. Nothing else comes even close to their perfection.
What do you think about "Arrested Development" and "Scrubs"? I think those two are as good, if not, even better than "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

On the subject of The Office, I have not seen the show yet but will be buying the DVD sometime soon.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
For me there's only it and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" as the absolute best sitcoms of the new millineum. Nothing else comes even close to their perfection.
I would have to disagree here. Arrested Development comes incredibly close to the title of best new sitcom of the millineum, being only narrowly nudged out by CurbYour Enthusiasm. I would actually mark it much higher than the Office, which looses its humor fairly prematurely.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
What do you think about "Arrested Development" and "Scrubs"? I think those two are as good, if not, even better than "Curb Your Enthusiasm".
I like "Arrested Development" more than "Scrubs". They are both great shows and far and away the best comedies on major network TV in many years, but HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and BBC's "The Office" are so far beyond them it isn't even a contest.

yeh i love the office and im from australia

nways i also love scrubs and arrested development

havent seen much of curb ur enthusiasm though

but if its the same guy as seinfeld then it must be good

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I always thought The Office was fairly 'British' and a lot of appeal would be lost over the Atlantic
Why does everyone say that about all British comedies? It's just like saying that us Bristish might not get the jokes from "Freinds" or "Seinfeld".

Originally Posted by Parky
Why does everyone say that about all British comedies? It's just like saying that us Bristish might not get the jokes from "Freinds" or "Seinfeld".
Because people are stupid, that's why.

Neither the Mrs. nor I are big fans of British humour, though I did rent the first season of The Office on a whim. To my surprise we both loved it. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's probably the funniest television series I've ever seen. What really blew my mind was how they stopped after two seasons and how perfectly the special wrapped everything up. Mrs. Mose was actually crying at the end

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Originally Posted by Parky
Cuz Friends, the jokes are obvious whereas The Office they aren't slapstick and quite subtle. And the lack of a studio audience. Also The Office is firmly located in Britain and i assumes some jokes will be out of context for American audiences, it would appear not though.

People making fools out of themselves is funny in any culture. Its universal.

The only thing that really would make The Office too "British" for Americans would probably be because of the accents, which I admit I had to adjust to be able to understand.

I love the show, it is absolute immense. gareth adn David are both hilarious, and when you get to grips with there personality they are even funnier.

Do you know my poetry?
"The Office" is definately one of the best television shows from the past few years, perhaps even my favorite. Ricky Gervais is absolutely brilliant as Brent. My favorite quotes from the show:

"If you have lost both legs and both arms just go 'at least I'm not dead'. Though I'd rather be dead in that situation to be honest- I'm not saying people like that should be put down. I'm saying that in my life I'd rather not live without arms and legs 'cos you know... I'm just getting into yoga." - David Brent

"My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrasing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say "poofs" instead of "gays", "birds" instead of "women", "darkies" instead of "coloureds." - Gareth

"No I don't talk about my love life for a very good reason, and that reason is I don't have one. Which is very good news for the ladies-I am still available. I'm a heck of a catch, cos, er well look at it. I live in Slough, in a lovely house, with my parents. I have my own room, which I've had since yep, since I was born. That's seen a lot of action I tell you. Mainly dusting. I went to university for a year as well, before I dropped out, so I'm a quitter. So, er, form an orderly queue ladies." - Tim

"I can read women. You've got to know their wants and their needs. And that can be anything from making sure she's got enough money to buy groceries each week to making sure she's gratified sexually after intercourse. - Gareth

"Tim's put my stapler inside a jelly again. That's the third time he's done it. It wasn't even funny the first time." - Gareth

"Well, that's not for us to say. But I can type in, say, 'sex... fetish'. It takes a little while. There. two thousand, two hundred and thirty matches. Just click on one, at random. Aaaagh, there. 'Dutch girls must be punished for having big boobs'. Now, you don't punish anyone, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs." - David Brent

"That's one reason why gays shouldn't be allowed into the army. Because if we're in battle, is he going to be looking at the enemy, or is he going to be looking at me and going "Ooh. He looks tasty in his uniform". And I'm not homophobic, alright? Come round, look at my CDs. You'll see Queen, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys. They're all bummers." - Gareth

"Trust, encouragement, reward, loyalty... satisfaction. That's what I'm... you know. Trust people and they'll be true to you. Treat them greatly, and they will show themselves to be great." - David Brent

"It's like an alarm clock's gone off, and I've just got to get away. I think it was John Lennon who said: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans.", and that's how I feel. Although he also said: "I am the Walrus I am the eggman" so I don't know what to believe." - Tim

"People look at me, they say he's tough, he was in the army he's gonna be hard, by the book. But I am caring, and sensitive. Isn't Schindler's list a brilliant film?" - Gareth

"He proposed on a Valentine's day, although he didn't do it face to face, he did it in one of the little Valentine bits in the paper. I think he had to pay for it by the word, because it just said 'Lee love Dawn, marriage?' which you know, I like, because it's not often you get to something that's both romantic and thrifty." - Dawn

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of ****." - David Brent

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
"Tim's put my stapler inside a jelly again. That's the third time he's done it. It wasn't even funny the first time." - Gareth
That's one of my favorite gags from the first season. The fact that Gareth has a phobia of jelly.

Feed me breadcrumbs
'The Office' was cool. But I liked 'The Goodies' better, shame they ended that one.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
That's one of my favorite gags from the first season. The fact that Gareth has a phobia of jelly.
Well, he doesn't trust the way it moves.