Rest in peace, David L. Lander

Tools    

The truth is in here

As if losing Penny Marshall a couple of years ago wasn't enough, now we've also lost our beloved Squigman. Whenever in Laverne & Shirley he would show up bursting through the door, you could expect him to make you start giggling any second. He was a truly unique voice for comedy, and poured a lot of heart into whatever role he had. His performances in Twin Peaks and On The Air as well were memorable highpoints of those shows. When his character in On The Air would start speaking, you would sometimes have to sharpen your ears to hear what he said, yet he still left you laughing anyway.

MS is such a horrific disease. It's made us lose one of the biggest sources of laughter.

Watch in the interview portion after the first song to see an early appearance of Nigel Tufnel.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
McKean and Lander met at my alma mater, Carnegie Mellon University here in Pittsburgh. Urban legend says they got kicked out for goofing around and imitating their professors. I'm guessing that mostly just means bad grades.

Either way, it always made me hopeful that most of the biggest successes to come out of CMU were those who never finished their degrees there (as I never did).

Rest in peace, buddy.