Great directors with the longest drought?

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Ooh ooh ooh!

Tim Burton.

Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks (yes, I like it), Sleepy Hollow in 1999 was the last decent movie he made.
1999 the last? So you don't like Corpse Bride or Frankenweenie?

Nah.

Animated movies don't grab me. I took ages to get my animated list together for Miss Vicky. I'm normally an few minutes putting a list together for a MoFo countdown. The animated one took me about two weeks.

Welcome to the human race...
John Carpenter. Even without his sheer lack of work in the past fifteen years or so, it's still hard to pinpoint the last time he made a film that was legitimately good.

Master of My Domain
Mel Brooks.

One of my favorite directors of all time, after gut-bustingly hilarious such as Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Spaceballs his quality started to go down and now he doesn't make films anymore...

I hate to say it... my #1 of all time. Paul Verhoeven.

Last great film, 1997 with Starship Troopers. Hasn't worked much since so probably another that won't count.

Thing is, before 1997, it was 1990 with Total Recall and then a 3 year gap again with RoboCop.

Verhoeven is sporadic and tends to make mediocre films with the odd masterpiece in between.

You know... I'm gonna say it...

David Fincher.

Alien 3, Se7en, The Game, Fight Club... his first 4 feature films. All excellent. Fight Club in 1999 being his last decent movie.

Haven't liked anything he's made since then.

Yeah Showgirls is by far his worst movie.

His earlier stuff rocks though. He works well with a pretty low budget.

Memoirs Of An Invisible Man was probably his last great work in 1992.
That's actually one of my least favourite Carpenter flicks, even though I'll cop to it being a decent enough modern take on the "invisible man" trope and having some alright effects work.

Yeah Showgirls is by far his worst movie.

His earlier stuff rocks though. He works well with a pretty low budget.
Cameron used to work great with a low budget. Now he only works with dump trucks full of money.

In terms of how good it was though, I wouldn't say it was a favourite, but as a critic, Memoirs beats all the stuff he made afterward.

Yeah, I suppose I do have a soft spot for In the Mouth of Madness, which at least had some good ideas if not the best execution.

Paul Schrader. The guy has made some great flicks as a director like Hardcore and American Gigalo. Now he is making movies with Lindsey Lohan and protesting the last flick he just made with Nic Cage.

It's gotta be Francis Ford Coppola. His drought is going on 30+ years. Nothing he's made since Apocalypse Now even comes close to his 70's work.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's gotta be Francis Ford Coppola. His drought is going on 30+ years. Nothing he's made since Apocalypse Now even comes close to his 70's work.
Crazy to think you can make so many great movies of all time in the 70's then basically do nothing since. Did his experience on Apoc Now make him lose the plot permanently?

To echo the Rodent, Paul Verhoven has been a huge disappointment. Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers all in a 10 year slot then nothing.

I recently made a thread about Ridley Scott on this very issue, he just seems to be making stinkers on the back of some truly great films, Alien and Blade Runner early on and some greats in the early 2000s with Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven then 10 years of crap since.

John Mctiernan, Die Hard, Predator, Hunt for Red October, Die Hard 3 then his career basically pitters out to nothing.

Spielberg, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can late 90's/early 2000's then basically average movies with a few real stinkers since.

Clint Eastwood is perhaps becoming another, good work as a Director throughout his career to early 2000's then nothing very good since. Although he is 84 now so maybe time to retire Clint.