Oscar Predictions for 2015

Tools    

What are you currently predicting for the ceremony in February?

Some think "Boyhood" can go the distance but I'm going ballsy with "Birdman" though Linklater's film is definitely worthy.

What are you currently predicting for the ceremony in February?
I'm predicting that the ceremony is going to be overly long and incredibly boring, that the host or hosts will not be funny at all, and that the films/performances I like best will either not get nominated at all or not win.

I also predict that I will not come even remotely close to winning the MoFo Oscar Pool.

I'm already looking forward to that Oscar chat.

I think it's still way too early to do any valuable predictions now. Most "Award buzz" films still have to be released.

Birdman doesn't seem like the type of film that will win many Oscars, looks too weird/ambitious, Boyhood might, I'm not sure. They haven't particularly loved Linklater and his independent visions before, but this could be where they change. I couldn't really say what I do think would win though, it's way to early

I'm predicting Gone Girl, Inherent Vice, the new David o Russell project, the new Terrence Malick project and Nightcrawler.
Fire walk with me.

Birdman , Interstellar , Gone Girl and Exodus imo are very good contender for 2015 oscars ...

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
These things are never really predictable until about November, at which point they become very predictable. Currently critical and commercial favor seems to lean towards Boyhood, but that came out in the summer so it's still in a tough position. Also, as a long time supporter and fan of Linklater, I have to say that I'd be disappointed to see him win something for one of his more mediocre films

Didn't it only come out in limited release though? It still has it's wide release to look forward to. I don't know, I think the buzz about Boyhood is only going to grow.

Didn't it only come out in limited release though? It still has it's wide release to look forward to. I don't know, I think the buzz about Boyhood is only going to grow.
Typically independent releases expand over a couple months, but I don't necessarily see that as it accruing buzz, but rather maintaining a consistent level of buzz, which can easily be overshadowed by a large release that generates huge buzz at the right time, like December. I think it will get some nominations (not for the right things), but it seems very unlikely it'll win big

The praise Boyhood is getting from audiences and critics alike is pretty much insane. 99% on RT with a 9.4 average? 9.0 on IMDb (only 10000 voters yet, though, but still...)? 100/100 on Metacritic? I just cannot believe it's THAT good a movie.
I hope it is, of course. I'll be able to judge the film myself pretty soon.

I was so pumped for Boyhood man, you have no idea! I wanted it to be so good, and Linklater get all of he recognition he should have gotten earlier, I just can't get behind it though

The praise Boyhood is getting from audiences and critics alike is pretty much insane. 99% on RT with a 9.4 average? 9.0 on IMDb (only 10000 voters yet, though, but still...)? 100/100 on Metacritic? I just cannot believe it's THAT good a movie.
I hope it is, of course. I'll be able to judge the film myself pretty soon.
I think it's well deserved. I'm still thinking about it.

I was so pumped for Boyhood man, you have no idea! I wanted it to be so good, and Linklater get all of he recognition he should have gotten earlier, I just can't get behind it though
Well, if Boyhood ends up being the big movie of the awards season, just think of it as Linklater getting recognition for his career, ala Scorsese and The Departed.

I think Boyhood is probably his best film, personally (even though I've only seen it once), and I say that as a huge Linklater fan - he's one of my favorite directors.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
I would love for the academy to give Wes Anderson some love.
I hope so as well. The Grand Budapest Hotel was, in all honesty, the first film I watched that was made by Wes Anderson. If nothing else, I hope it is nominated for Best Picture (granted, it will be difficult for it, since it hit theatres in February (I think?), but I hope it manages anyway!

Also hope for noms for Unbroken, Gone Girl, Interstellar, and possibly Big Eyes.

I'll get back to you when I've seen Boyhood. It will be interesting to talk about it. The trailer hasn't convinced me yet, but that doesn't prove anything of course.

I'm pretty sure Interstellar is going to be this year's Gravity. In all likelihood it will win numerous technical awards and I can see it being praised as one of the year's best films, if not the best, mostly by people with very little knowledge of film.

Well, if Boyhood ends up being the big movie of the awards season, just think of it as Linklater getting recognition for his career, ala Scorsese and The Departed.

I think Boyhood is probably his best film, personally (even though I've only seen it once), and I say that as a huge Linklater fan - he's one of my favorite directors.
Eh, I can somewhat, but it's very far from the Scorsese case, Linklater's reputation is far less than Scorsese's, Scorsese was canon before his Oscar. I'm still a huge Linklater fan, and after watching Boyhood I became doubtful, so I went back and watched his first two features (It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (his best titled film), and Slacker), and they're just as fresh and great as I remember them.