Will Smith Ranked

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
First off guys, I'm loving the make over!!

Ok, now onto business. I just rewatched Hancock tonight and I still quite like it. The second half of the movie loses it's way and just stops being funny but the first 45 mins or so are great fun and I'd like to see a sequel one day. It also reminded me of what Will Smith does best: make people laugh. Sadly, over the years he has forgotten his comedy roots and it got me thinking, what with all the recent crap, what are Will Smith's best movies? Lead roles only. I list and rate them all, you guys can voice off too!

1. 6 Degrees of Separation: 6/10, not a particularly entertaining or interesting film but Smith's performance in this was a stand out and showed us all what he could be capable of.
  2. Bad Boys: 7/10, one of the best action comedies of the decade where Smith is on top form. this launched him into a credible Hollywood name and rightfully so.
  3. Independence Day: 8.5/10, easily one of the greatest sci-fi adventures of all time and although Smith is part of an ensemble, it's hard to argue he steals the show. If Bad Boys made him, this propelled him into the A league.
  4. Men In Black: 7.5/10, it hasn't aged as well as ID but it's still funny, sharp and action packed, something none of the sequels could compete with. Plus the pairing with Tommy Lee Jones was genius.
  5. Wild Wild West: 5/10, just a mess but again, Smith was reliable and his charisma shone through. It gets a 5 just for that.
  6. The Legend of Bagger Vance: 6.5/10, not what you'd usually expect from Will Smith but he once again showed he had range and could one day be an Oscar contender. Dull movie beyond Smith's performance, even the addition of Matt Damon couldn't save it.
  7. Ali: 8/10, an underrated movie with Smith's greatest performance to date. No one other than the Fresh Prince could have played Ali. One of Micheal Mann's best movies to boot.
  8. Men In Black II: 6/10, not quite as bad as I first remember it to be but not a classic like the original. Even Will Smith seems a bit jaded in this one. Was he just trying to cash in?
  9. Bad Boys II: 4.5/10, seriously wtf was this rubbish??? Smith paired well with Lawrence but it was just horrendous to watch the inappropriate humour and poorly shot action sequences. Again, Smith seems to be phoning this one in.
  10. I, Robot: 7/10, not quite the critical crap heap it is viewed as, I actually quite liked it. This marked a slight return to form imo after a long slump. Smith wasn't as funny as he usually is but he still delivers his one liners with more oomph than he did in both MIB II and BB II. The thoughtful approach he brings to the main character is refreshing too.
  11. Shark Tale: 7.5/10, this sparked a mini renaissance for the great man. Fun, funNY, smart and just a great time, this is what Will Smith was put on this Earth to do. Not quite reaching the heights of other animated features but still a great family film.
  12. Hitch: 7/10, I didn't quite like it as much as 'Tale but it was still good and before the final half hour or so, damn fun and heart warming to watch. Smith once again looks like he is enjoying himself.
  13. The Pursuit of Happyness: 7.5/10, this is easily Smith's best performance since Ali and it's a touching film. It plays fast and loose with the facts but who cares when you form such a bond with father and son. Smith was a huge selling point for the movie and he paid off big time.
  14. I Am Legend: 5/10, not all that bad but not all that good either. Smith looks bored throughout, pulling his "I'm serious" scowl far too often.
  15. Hancock: 7.5/10, this could have been great if the first 45mins translates into a great finale but it didn't. The introduction of the "villain" is farcical and Theron's character simply annoys me but Smith is charming and a bastard in equal measures. There should be a sequel.
  16. Seven Pounds: 5.5/10, just a movie that tries too hard to be Oscar bait. Decent performance from Smith himself but nothing else.
  17. Men In Black 3: 5/10, just....well it could have been worse I guess. Smith is in autopilot again and is easily overshadowed by Josh Brolin. The worst part is that the TMJ chemistry seems to have all but combusted.
  18. After Earth: 5/10, not quite as bad as I thought it would be, an average, throwaway sci-fi action adventure. Smith is ok in this, he has the physicality to be convincing but lacks any depth to play with. A new low for him, even worse than WWW and BB II because this has come after years of disappointment.
Can Will Smith bounce back and gain the fame and appreciation he had in the mid to late 90s? Can he capture that spark again? I'm not so sure but I hope he does.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I loved Men in Black 3. It made me laugh and it's one of his better flicks. I disagree with giving it the same rating as After Earth. After Earth is like a dumpster fire. There is not a single thing in After Earth, not scripting, not special effects, not direction, not even character NAMES, that is a good artistic choice. That film is abysmal. Will Smith and Josh Brolin are awesome together in MIB 3, and Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords is fun as the bad guy.

I also liked I, Robot, as well. Good flick.

I don't think he's done, but man, a DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince reunion tour would have my money.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Glad you like "Ali"., easily Smiths best film.

Will Smith has kind of got Tom Cruise disease. They both think they are "stars" and must always be the hero - hence his turning down of the Django Unchained role. And, like Cruise, he isn't an overly good actor but can be great when he gets a role that is a perfect fit.

I haven't seen After Earth but the whole situation with it being a vehicle for him and his son is not a good sign - seems he now believes making movies is about him rather than good roles.

I actually hope he wakes up one day because I quite like him when he plays a role like in MiB.

I think Tom Cruise has accomplished much more then Smith. He is a better actor as well. I do agree though that it seems his ego has lead him to choose some bad roles. He has to do what Mcconaughey did and disappear for a while and do some smaller more challenging work and build himself back up or recreate himself.

I think Tom Cruise has accomplished much more then Smith. He is a better actor as well. I do agree though that it seems his ego has lead him to choose some bad roles. You have to do what Mcconaughey did and disappear for a while and do some smaller more challenging work and build himself back up or recreate himself.
That's exactly right. A real actor chooses roles - he doesn't have to be the star. Brad Pitt is also good at this - he does those big star vehicles but is happy in smaller roles like in Killing Them Softly. McConaughey has done brilliantly in this regard lately.

I've always kind of liked Will Smith but I'm not usually drawn to his movies. I thought Bad Boys and Independence Day were awesome, and Bad Boys II was ok.

How I'd rank Will Smith:

I am Legend
Seven Pounds
Hancock
men in black
Shark tale
Men in black II
Independence Day
After Earth
The Pursuit of Happyness

I don't think he's done, I quite enjoy his most recent films actually, even After Earth was decent

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Independence Day
Bad Boys
Men In Black

The rest aren't really worth mentioning. He's got a decent amount of charisma, but he's not a good actor. All he can do is wisecracking hero. He does that well, but when he tries to be serious, it's usually one-note and embarrassing.

I always liked Will Smith I was a big fan of his growing up. But the older I have gotten I have come to not like him as much. He just doesn't challenge himself. Like turning down Django is crazy, not that it was a big challenge or anything but come on man it's Tarantino! Who does that? Ego hasn't gotten to big. He is in his comfort zone and probably will never get out. Not saying he still can't find a couple of gems just disappointing he doesn't try to challenge himself like McConaughey has.

As far as my favorite Will Smith movies I'd go with:

5.) Independence Day
4.) Hitch
3.) Bad Boys
2.) Enemy Of The State
1.) Men In Black

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

First off guys, I'm loving the make over!!

Ok, now onto business. I just rewatched Hancock tonight and I still quite like it. The second half of the movie loses it's way and just stops being funny but the first 45 mins or so are great fun and I'd like to see a sequel one day. It also reminded me of what Will Smith does best: make people laugh. Sadly, over the years he has forgotten his comedy roots and it got me thinking, what with all the recent crap, what are Will Smith's best movies? Lead roles only. I list and rate them all, you guys can voice off too!

1. 6 Degrees of Separation: 6/10, not a particularly entertaining or interesting film but Smith's performance in this was a stand out and showed us all what he could be capable of.
  2. Bad Boys: 7/10, one of the best action comedies of the decade where Smith is on top form. this launched him into a credible Hollywood name and rightfully so.
  3. Independence Day: 8.5/10, easily one of the greatest sci-fi adventures of all time and although Smith is part of an ensemble, it's hard to argue he steals the show. If Bad Boys made him, this propelled him into the A league.
  4. Men In Black: 7.5/10, it hasn't aged as well as ID but it's still funny, sharp and action packed, something none of the sequels could compete with. Plus the pairing with Tommy Lee Jones was genius.
  5. Wild Wild West: 5/10, just a mess but again, Smith was reliable and his charisma shone through. It gets a 5 just for that.
  6. The Legend of Bagger Vance: 6.5/10, not what you'd usually expect from Will Smith but he once again showed he had range and could one day be an Oscar contender. Dull movie beyond Smith's performance, even the addition of Matt Damon couldn't save it.
  7. Ali: 8/10, an underrated movie with Smith's greatest performance to date. No one other than the Fresh Prince could have played Ali. One of Micheal Mann's best movies to boot.
  8. Men In Black II: 6/10, not quite as bad as I first remember it to be but not a classic like the original. Even Will Smith seems a bit jaded in this one. Was he just trying to cash in?
  9. Bad Boys II: 4.5/10, seriously wtf was this rubbish??? Smith paired well with Lawrence but it was just horrendous to watch the inappropriate humour and poorly shot action sequences. Again, Smith seems to be phoning this one in.
  10. I, Robot: 7/10, not quite the critical crap heap it is viewed as, I actually quite liked it. This marked a slight return to form imo after a long slump. Smith wasn't as funny as he usually is but he still delivers his one liners with more oomph than he did in both MIB II and BB II. The thoughtful approach he brings to the main character is refreshing too.
  11. Shark Tale: 7.5/10, this sparked a mini renaissance for the great man. Fun, funNY, smart and just a great time, this is what Will Smith was put on this Earth to do. Not quite reaching the heights of other animated features but still a great family film.
  12. Hitch: 7/10, I didn't quite like it as much as 'Tale but it was still good and before the final half hour or so, damn fun and heart warming to watch. Smith once again looks like he is enjoying himself.
  13. The Pursuit of Happyness: 7.5/10, this is easily Smith's best performance since Ali and it's a touching film. It plays fast and loose with the facts but who cares when you form such a bond with father and son. Smith was a huge selling point for the movie and he paid off big time.
  14. I Am Legend: 5/10, not all that bad but not all that good either. Smith looks bored throughout, pulling his "I'm serious" scowl far too often.
  15. Hancock: 7.5/10, this could have been great if the first 45mins translates into a great finale but it didn't. The introduction of the "villain" is farcical and Theron's character simply annoys me but Smith is charming and a bastard in equal measures. There should be a sequel.
  16. Seven Pounds: 5.5/10, just a movie that tries too hard to be Oscar bait. Decent performance from Smith himself but nothing else.
  17. Men In Black 3: 5/10, just....well it could have been worse I guess. Smith is in autopilot again and is easily overshadowed by Josh Brolin. The worst part is that the TMJ chemistry seems to have all but combusted.
  18. After Earth: 5/10, not quite as bad as I thought it would be, an average, throwaway sci-fi action adventure. Smith is ok in this, he has the physicality to be convincing but lacks any depth to play with. A new low for him, even worse than WWW and BB II because this has come after years of disappointment.
Can Will Smith bounce back and gain the fame and appreciation he had in the mid to late 90s? Can he capture that spark again? I'm not so sure but I hope he does.

First of all, I hated HANCOCK...that movie was a hot mess. I agree with you that what Smith does better than a lot of people is make us laugh, but then so does Eddie Murphy and he's made a lot of lousy movies too. I will say that I did enjoy SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION, INDEPENDENCE DAY (though I always had the feeling that his role was meant for someone else), SHARK TALE, the first two MEN IN BLACK movies and I also agree with you that THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS was his best performance.

but now you have my attention
Bad Boys 2, the funniest scenes are when Martin lawrence's, daughter's date shows up and the when martin Lawrence gets accidently drugged up, pissed myself.

he did turn down coming back for another Independence Day. I think his career has back slid to the point that he might be a director for a couple of flix before he gets in front of the camera.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Bad Boys, I am Legend, and Independence Day are his best movies.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I watched Enemy Of The State last night, and you can definitely add that to the list of Will's best. Good flick, and Will surprisingly does really well at trying to act and do his own thing at the same. It works well and probably stands as one of his better performances.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Man great response guys and thank Mr Gunslinger!
Sorry I've been replying so late to all this.

A lot of people have varying opinions on Smith's career but I don't think he is finished or even close. He just needs one good script, wish he hadn't turned down ID 2.