The Watch's Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies

Tools    

It pains me that this movie wasn't better received, I hope it reaches cult status in years to come as more people need to watch this movie.
Your dreams have come true.

I am the Watcher in the Night
6. District 9

Dir. Neill Blomkamp

Why I Like It So Much:
This is the second of the three great 21st century science-fiction movies I mentioned (Inception being one). For me, District 9 was a revelation, not just for it's special effects, cinematography, action sequences or the coolest weapons ever put on screen but because of the story, penned by Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell, who is currently involved in Blomkamp's next sci-fi: Chappie. Part of the story is told in the very fashionable mockumentary style while the rest is told in a more conventional way. It's a good composition, which allows us to see what has happened to the world, or rather South Africa with the advent of alien life.

In the center of it all is Wikus Van De Marwe, a slightly clumsy, some what arrogant civil servant who loves the opportunity to be on screen...then things go south. He is infected and starts losing skin, nails and blood. It looks like he is transforming into one of the aliens he so despises and looks down upon and his only hope is that some of them maybe able to help him. It's not an original plot device but it works here perfectly. Sharlto Copley also delivers a stand out performance.

On top of all that, the visuals are simply stunning, it's not the in-your-face CGI of the Star Trek reboot or the Star Wars prequels but it's something better, sometimes it's the little touches that really help. Every frame is well thought out and no special effect is wasted or unnecessarily allowed to distracts us from the story or characters. In fact, the aliens or "Prawns" as their known as are more convincing and human than any of the heavily CGI characters of recent cinema, I'm looking at you JaJa Binks.

Why It's Here:
There's a message here, that of racial segregation, class warfare and the advent of technology. Has technology and new scientific research really bettered our lives? Or we closer or further apart? Have people, all around the world but in particular, in the new South Africa, the "Rainbow Nation" really united? Has anything actually changed?

It's true that the social and political motivations of the movie can sometimes be shoved down our throats in this movie but then again they are in several great movies of the past. But in doing so, Blomkamp never fails to entertain and at the end of the 112 minutes, we are left wanting more.

Blomkamp at his best:

Connecting with the Prawns

Christopher Johnson's Son: How many moons does our planet have?
Christopher Johnson: Seven.
Christopher Johnson's Son: This planet only has one. I can't wait to see our planet again... it's bigger than this one, isn't it?
Christopher Johnson: [turns off holographic atlas of what seems to be the Alien home planet] Enough.
Christopher Johnson's Son: We go home now?
Christopher Johnson: Not home, no. This is where we must go.
[shows his son an MNU brochure outlining "Sanctuary Park Alien Relocation Camp" aka District 10]
Christopher Johnson: See that tent there? That might be ours.
Christopher Johnson's Son: I want to go home!
Christopher Johnson: We can't go home. Not anymore.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Nice review Thanks I didn't like this movie at first but am getting to like it more

Is this video unedited, straight from the movie?
No it isn't, hugely edited mixing different bits from what I can tell, definitely doesn't happen all that fast.

Personally, I thought INDEPENDENCE DAY was overblown and silly for the most part. Not to mention some of the worst casting I have ever seen...Bill Pullman as POTUS? Seriously? His ridiculous speech before the troops go into the air was a joke. Judd Hirsch as Jeff Goldblum's father? The movie is also about 45 minutes too long.

Great list so far. Independence Day is not what I would class as top sci-fi, but it is a fun popcorn sci-fi action film - which always fill the void in a Sunday afternoon.

His ridiculous speech before the troops go into the air was a joke.
A lot people would beg to differ. It was a very powerful speech, given the circumstances.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

A lot people would beg to differ. It was a very powerful speech, given the circumstances.
That true, but I've not met any of them. That's the worst part of the entire film. Cringeworthy doesn't begin to cover it.

I'm so glad I saw this post. I had not seen "Children of Men" and now I'm a big fan. I like the story, yes, but the long shoot technique is amazing.

I have been in a few movies and the usual style of shooting a scene is - set up cameras, set up lighting, measure distance to actors, check make-up and wardrobe, check consistency of angles ... shoot for 10 seconds, edit away 5 seconds, repeat this 30 minute process (often longer), for the next 5 seconds of footage.

It was hard for me to focus on some of the scenes because I was imagining how the camera man was getting those shots and how much planning had to go into filming those sequences. Thank goodness for rewind. LOL

Gravity
Man of Steel
X-Men: First Class

I'm so glad I saw this post. I had not seen "Children of Men" and now I'm a big fan. I like the story, yes, but the long shoot technique is amazing.

I have been in a few movies and the usual style of shooting a scene is - set up cameras, set up lighting, measure distance to actors, check make-up and wardrobe, check consistency of angles ... shoot for 10 seconds, edit away 5 seconds, repeat this process (often longer), for the next 5 seconds of footage.

It was hard for me to focus on some of the scenes because I was imagining how the camera man was getting those shots and how much planning had to go into filming those sequences. Thank goodness for rewind. LOL
hahaha enjoyed reading your post, what movies have you been in?

5. Blade Runner
Dir. Ridley Scott

Why I like it so much:
Ridley Scott is probably the most infuriating and perplexing director in all Hollywood, he can create great movies such as Alien, Gladiator, Black Rain, Matchstick Men and American Gangster yet come out with almost unwatchable turds such as Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood, The Counselor, Body of Lies and Legend. Is there any other truly great director who has dips as low as Scott? I can't think of any.

Blade Runner however is one of those movies in which he hits all the right notes...well it slightly depends on the cut you're watching but to be honest, they are all good for me, especially the "final" cut. It's a brilliantly cast, brilliantly acted and expertly cut science fiction which continues to influence cinema to this day. The story of cyborgs with human emotions who just want to be free isn't a new concept, it's been done to death both on screen and in novels but here, Scott's greatest success is the world he manages to create.

This futuristic LA is a cesspit of crime, immorality and evil, yet Rick Deckard, played by Ford on top form and moving away from his swaggering, arrogant rogue typecast (perfected in Star Wars and Indiana Jones), finds what it means to live and be alive when he meets replicant (a cyborg) Rachel. Again, a love affair between man and machine is not new to sci-fi but the delicacy with which it's handled here is a joy to watch...but we always know that this can't end well. I think it's that impending sense of doom which keeps you watching, constantly on the edge to see where this almost Shakespearean tale will take us next.

Why it's here:
Purely from a technical viewpoint, this is quite possibly the most accomplished sci-fi of the 80s (sorry Lucas). The special effects still hold up to this day and future LA is as convincing now as it was in 1982. I believe all great sci-fi should look the part, after all this is the medium which pushes visual effects further than any other aspect of Hollywood and in doing so, improves cinema (if done correctly).

The story, which I've only mentioned briefly because I don't want to give too much away, may not be original but it is extremely well executed. This is the Scott I love to watch, merging story arcs with interesting characters and deeper questions of human morality and the essence of life. It might sound a little pretentious but these are the questions that all great sci-fi wants us to contemplate.

"Memories, you're talking about memories"

hahaha enjoyed reading your post, what movies have you been in?
A hand full of indie films in Atlanta and then a bunch of my music videos. LOL
I had Sonya Thompson from the Walking Dead and Zombieland, in 2 of my music videos. Fun stuff.

Great list so far. Looking forward to the top 5!

A hand full of indie films in Atlanta and then a bunch of my music videos. LOL
I had Sonya Thompson from the Walking Dead and Zombieland, in 2 of my music videos. Fun stuff.

Great list so far. Looking forward to the top 5!
Just had to look up who Sonya Thompson was, no idea she played so many zombies, damn

4. Cloud Atlas
Dir. The Wachowskis

Why I like it so much:
This is, in my opinion, the greatest sci-fi of the 21st century. The story, originally a novel by David Mitchell, is almost perfectly adapted here. It's perfection however is not always due to how close the movie adaptation is to the source material, the best adaptations rarely stick to the source like glue but all the necessary themes are present and most importantly, it feels like the novel.

The idea to have actors playing multiple roles across the different story arcs may seem jarring at first but in the end it all works out. Hanks, Berry and in particular a brilliant Jim Broadbent deliver some of their best performances. It's actually Broadbent and his tremendous range as an actor, who brings heart to the tale, he makes you invest in his character and eventually, invest in those around him. That's a rare feat.

Aside from the terrific acting, the Wachowskis are back in top form, bringing their now customary flair and expertise with special effects. Far to many modern blockbusters fall in to the trap of having CGI have the final say, in this case, the Wachowskis use CGI to advance the story. This is what special effects were meant to be, a story telling device, much like animation in the century before. These two are geniuses are creating worlds filled with computer monsters, characters and environments yet never straying too far from telling a story.

Why it's here:
Why is this the 4th greatest science fiction movie ever? In a genre littered with great work such as Alien, Aliens, Star Wars, E.T., Metropolis and all the movies on my list, why does this stand out so highly? Well there are many reasons, the story or stories, are more than just the sum of their parts, they speak of a deeper connection between mankind, of how our seemingly and extraordinary ordinary decisions may affect one another. With all the hours of sci-fi available at launch, taking such a risky decision, to create a story that spans multiple time lines, with a central, over arching theme is rare. 2001 did something similar many decades ago but there hasn't been much else since, especially of this quality.

All I want to end my piece with is, watch this movie, it is criminally underrated and for some reason, seemed to bomb at the boxing office. It's sad, because if there's one modern sci-fi you MUST watch, it's this.

What you've been missing out on

Just to show there's a sense of humour too

Lord High Filmquisitor
I enjoyed District 9 quite a bit. While it sadly gets overshadowed by a lot of other movies that were released that same year, it definitely is an incredibly interested and well-executed take on both extra terrestrials and apartheid.

I've always been a bit luke-warm toward Blade Runner, but I haven't seen the final cut of it yet, which is evidently the one to see (and, from what I hear, would clear up a lot of issues that I had with the theatrical cut).

I haven't seen Cloud Atlas. I might have to check it out now.

I enjoyed District 9 quite a bit. While it sadly gets overshadowed by a lot of other that were released that same year, it definitely is an incredibly interested and well-executed take on both extra terrestrials and apartheid.

I've always been a bit luke-warm toward Blade Runner, but I haven't seen the final cut of it yet, which is evidently the one to see (and, from what I hear, would clear up a lot of issues that I had with the theatrical cut).

I haven't seen Cloud Atlas. I might have to check it out now.
Most definitely watch the final cut and Cloud Atlas has to be your next DVD/BLU-RAY or internet purchase, make it happen!

The Matrix

Dir. The Wachowskis

Why I like it so much:
Here they are gain, those pesky, gender altering siblings, the Wachowskis. Very few movies since the original Star Wars created as much fanfare and pop culture relevance as The Matrix, sadly the sequels failed to live up to the immense potential of the original but PAH with all that, I'm here to talk about the only movie in which Keanu Reeves' odd acting technique actually works. This is cyber punk sci-fi at it's best.

From the iconic opening with Carrie Anne-Moss', Trinity on the run from the police and kicking their butt in the process, to the final shot as Reeves' Neo flies, this is a movie of epic proportions which always wants to be cool. Equilibrium and a handful of other post-Matrix sci-fi which was obviously influenced by the Wachowskis masterpiece, often try to be this cool but fail. It takes a special "something" to make it work, and whatever this "something" is, the Wachowskis have it in spades.

Above all else, it's the visuals and the action sequences that stand out, causing an entire generation of young boys to copy Neo's bullet dodge or his "STOP" motion. If you were a kid when you watched this for the first time, you know exactly what I mean. It's iconic, it's beautiful, it's action packed, it's coherent and it's poignant. Easily the best work the Wachowskis have ever done.

Why it's here:
Simply put, there are few movies, let alone sci-fis that match it's scale, it's content and the scope of it's visuals. All of that is bolstered by great performances from it's leads. Every scene is dripping with an inherent edge, an edge so often copied and mimicked since but never as successfully. Then again, imitation is the best form of flattery.

Dodge This!

My name is Neo!