The best Sports films?

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
My favorites are Slapshot and the original Longest Yard.

For those looking for a soccer movie, try Victory with Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, and Pele. I haven't seen it since it was out but remember liking it.
I've seen victory, it's actually a fun movie and oddly curious, who would've imagined that Sly, Caine and Pele would all be together in a movie.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
what?

Ok, I know it's a character piece with regards to Lamotta and his immediate family but it is a boxing movie. A sports film doesn't have to spend the entirety of it's running time showing you the sport. In fact, most sports films use the sport they portray as a way to view a much bigger picture.

The Fighter is a story all about family, breaking apart and then coming together when it matters, would you say it's not a sports film?

Remembering The Titans deals with growing up in a potentially racist society and dealing with issues of race and sexuality. Is it not a sports film?

The Wrestler gives us the image of a wrecked man, some one who has nowhere to go and is obsessed with his past, it just so happens wrestling is the past. Is it then not a sports film?
A sports film - at least to me - is when the actual sport is the primary focus of the films' narrative. For example, The Longest Yard centres completely around a football game, and Rocky centres completely around that one boxing fight. Raging Bull uses boxing as a platform to explore more important and focused subjects in the film. The film never leads up to one fight or one championship or one event; boxing is just...there, apart of the protagonist, but Scorsese doesn't place enough emphasis on it for it to be considered a sports film, at least in my opinion.

A really good sports documentary film I seen was The Two Escobars, the story of how Palbo Escobar influenced the Colombian Football team with his drug money empire and Andres Escobar a star player who played for them who was murdered after world cup 94.

I don't know if Riefenstahl should be canonized for making cinema athletic or damned to the deepest pits of hell for making sports cinematic. Well, that's not entirely accurate -- I have my opinion on the matter -- but I'm open to influence here.

Also:

Not a big fan of Rocky.

But my list would contain, Raging Bull, Cinderella man, Moneyball, The Miracle, Goal (just coz is football, the movie was average at best), Meet the Titans, Invincible, Bend it Like Beckham, The greatest game ever played, Seabiscuit, the wrestler. Might be missing a few.

what?

Ok, I know it's a character piece with regards to Lamotta and his immediate family but it is a boxing movie. A sports film doesn't have to spend the entirety of it's running time showing you the sport. In fact, most sports films use the sport they portray as a way to view a much bigger picture.

The Fighter is a story all about family, breaking apart and then coming together when it matters, would you say it's not a sports film?

Remembering The Titans deals with growing up in a potentially racist society and dealing with issues of race and sexuality. Is it not a sports film?

The Wrestler gives us the image of a wrecked man, some one who has nowhere to go and is obsessed with his past, it just so happens wrestling is the past. Is it then not a sports film?
Agreed. A sports film doesn't have to focus on the actual sport itself, just should feature the sport as a defining element of the protagonist's life.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Anyways, I'm not particularly "into" sports films but I appreciate an involving story with intriguing characters regardless of genre.

Some faves? The Wrestler, definitely. Field Of Dreams. Rocky, of course. Jerry Maguire. The Slaughter Rule. Varsity Blues. A League Of Their Own. Million Dollar Baby, very sad. Tin Cup. For Love Of The Game. Bull Durham. Caddyshack. Ready To Rumble. Blades Of Glory, deal widdit.

I love Raging Bull and The wrestler. Another sport film that I appreciated is Fever Pitch

Rudy and Necessary roughness.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I don't know if Riefenstahl should be canonized for making cinema athletic or damned to the deepest pits of hell for making sports cinematic. Well, that's not entirely accurate -- I have my opinion on the matter -- but I'm open to influence here.

Also:

I've never seen Eight Men Out and seeing as a few of you have mentioned it I'm gona give it a go.

Your friendly neighborhood film critic
One of my favourite sport flicks is the prison-soccer-based Mean Machine. It's a movie I always rewatch with pleasure, I strongly recommend it.

Sent from the Light Side using The Force

THE LONGEST YARD (the original and the remake both have their merits)

SLAPSHOT (a refreshing change of pace for Paul Newman)

HOOSIERS

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

THE NATURAL

MAJOR LEAGUE

COACH CARTER

NORTH DALLAS FORTY

SEMI-TOUGH

The Natural is one of my favs, Robert Redford rules.