My Favourite Directors

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Watch the rest of the trilogy! You won't regret it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Well. I think that Totoro has a purest distillation of childhood wonder than anything else. Kiki is a bit more subtle but it is hard to compare. Both are masterpieces for me but Totoro is significantly more powerful.

Miyazaki's worst film for me is either Lupin or Ponyo. Those two are still better than 95% of the movies I have watched. In fact it is not possible to say that Miyazaki has a worst film because he never made a straight bad or mediocre movie. Lupin is the favorite of many anime critics, for instance.
That's funny. I would say Ponyo is the 'purest distillation of childhood wonder'. I think my least favorite Miyazaki film is Porco Roso.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Watch the rest of the trilogy! You won't regret it.
^ agree

Also, check out JSA; Joint Security Area and Im a Cyborg.
Both excellent.
So many I wana watch but I'm a Cyborg seems the most intriguing. I better check netflix

That's funny. I would say Ponyo is the 'purest distillation of childhood wonder'. I think my least favorite Miyazaki film is Porco Roso.
Noway man, I loved Porco Rosso, heard a while back he wanted to make a sequel. I think Porco is Miyazaki's coolest character, is he based on a manga? I think I read that somewhere.

Damn, thought I posted this earlier but it didn't work AAAARGH! Now I have to re-write it.

So here it is:

Paul Thomas Anderson
Best Film: There Will Be Blood
Worst Film: The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson is a cinema fiend, as much a fan of the medium as the audience who watch his movies. He has devoted much of his life to studying the great directors, feeding off of their brilliance and in the process building his own resume of cinematic classics. The phrase "if I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants" describes PT Anderson perfectly. This is a man who is a self confessed film buff and like Spielberg and Scorsese before him, he has studied the best of the past to become one of the best directors of the present.

All great directors have their trademarks, for Spielberg it is his close up on the surprise of his characters, for Peter Jackson it is his large, vast spanning visuals and for Anderson it is an almost constant movement of the camera. This suited his masterpiece, There Will Be Blood perfectly, the desert landscape was as much a character as Daniel Plainview, HW and Eli.

As I have already mentioned, I find 'Blood to be Anderson's greatest work, his masterpiece, the crowning jewel of a slowly growing empire in film. Everything that Anderson had ever done before culminated in his 2007 classic. The pacing, the lighting, the scope, the ability to coax Daniel Day Lewis greatest performance, out of an actor who was his generations best and to give the new kid Paul Dano his chance to shine against such a veteran. These are all shines of a man at the top of his craft.

In recent times, Anderson has faltered a little with The Master, which is by no means a bad movie but it lacks the breath taking splendour of 'Blood, the cool ease of Hard Eight or the emotional depth of Magnolia. PT Anderson is still a director to watch, with his upcoming movie a crime mystery set in the 1960s. PT Anderson is a student of the arts, who understands his product because he understands what it means to be a fan.

I loved The Master it was my favourite film fromlast year, my worst PTA film is Boogie Nights and i've yet to see Hard Eight.
Not a Boogie Nights fan either but Hard Eight is a good movie. Watch it when you can.

Love PTA, one of my favorites as well. I'd rank his films like this:

Magnolia

Boogie Nights

There Will Be Blood

The Master

Punch-Drunk Love

Hard Eight

I really need to see The Master again, but it really stunned me when I saw it in theaters last year. I have it on DVD, so I should get to that soon.

Love PTA, one of my favorites as well. I'd rank his films like this:

Magnolia

Boogie Nights

There Will Be Blood

The Master

Punch-Drunk Love

Hard Eight

I really need to see The Master again, but it really stunned me when I saw it in theaters last year. I have it on DVD, so I should get to that soon.
I want to see The Master again, maybe I'll like it more on a second viewing.

Disliked and/or hated the two that I saw:

Punch Drunk Love 6/10
The Master 2/10
I surprisingly liked Punch Drunk Love but if you really want to see PTA at his best then watch There Will Be Blood, Magnolia and Hard Eight. You won't be disappointed.

Victor Fleming

Best Film: Gone with the Wind
Worst Film: Treasure Island

Gone with the Wind, adjusted for inflation, may just be the most financially successful movie of all time; add to that a slew of Oscars and you have a universally recognised hit, something Victor Fleming was already familiar with. He was THE epic director of his generation, pushing the boundaries of what could be done within the technical confines of early 20th century cinema.

Like all great directors, Fleming wasn't just a one hit wonder, bringing children the world over one of their most enduring films, The Wizard of Oz. The movie has entertained millions of kids in all generations of Western society, has any movie ever had such an impact?

So, why was Fleming so successful? It was his ability to combine epic film making with excellent story telling, something Spielberg and Jackson are great at in modern day Hollywood but they may never have reaches such heights if it hadn't been for the pioneering Fleming. And that's what he was, a cinematic pioneer.

I've listed Treasure Island as his worst movie, not because it's bad but simply because it just doesn't compare with the scope, elegance and interest of 'Oz and 'Wind.

^Seeing as he's the guy who made Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz (and in the same year!) I always wonder why he isn't name-dropped more often. Then again, GWTW is more Selznick's picture than anyone else's.

I really like your taste and I have just a few different thoughts and only director that I wouldn't include in my top directors list from here is Sam Raimi.
The Game definitely isn't best from Fincher but it's hard to put it behind Alien³ and why The Prestige is worst from Nolan? Competition is hard there but Following and Insomnia are few steps behind Prestige, if for nothing else than for simplicity from both writing and directing aspect.

You made my day with Park and Miyazaki, thank you very much but where's Kubrick

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Oz and Wind are great films but they went through so many directors that it's almost a coincidence that Fleming received sole credit for both. Besides, as Hitch said, Selznick probably directed half of Wind. Fleming was a good M-G-M action director and Clark Gable's drinking buddy. Gable wanted him brought onto Wind because he thought George Cukor was making it "too girly".

Oz and Wind are great films but they went through so many directors that it's almost a coincidence that Fleming received sole credit for both. Besides, as Hitch said, Selznick probably directed half of Wind. Fleming was a good M-G-M action director and Clark Gable's drinking buddy. Gable wanted him brought onto Wind because he thought George Cukor was making it "too girly".
hahaah Yeah I've heard about this but there are the typical Fleming trademarks throughout 'Wind but it's true, Selznick played a huge role in the production.

I really like your taste and I have just a few different thoughts and only director that I wouldn't include in my top directors list from here is Sam Raimi.
The Game definitely isn't best from Fincher but it's hard to put it behind Alien³ and why The Prestige is worst from Nolan? Competition is hard there but Following and Insomnia are few steps behind Prestige, if for nothing else than for simplicity from both writing and directing aspect.

You made my day with Park and Miyazaki, thank you very much but where's Kubrick
Thanks Schimo!

And in response to your query about Kubrick...he will be finding his way here but up next is the man who may just be my favourite director of all time.

Steven Spielberg
Best Film: Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Catch Me If You Can
Worst Film: Lincoln

The man who is credited with creating the summer blockbuster, Steven Spielberg is a living legend. Few directors have had as much critical and financial success as he has and in doing so he has stitched together possibly the best resume in all cinema. His movies range from straight up, big budget popcorn fare, to deeply thoughtful and heartfelt dramas.

I know it's a bit of a cop out listing so many movies as the best from Spielberg but how could I leave the likes of Jurassic Park, Raiders and Schindler's list off my list. It's obvious that the likes of Nolan and the new breed of Hollywood blockbusters have been influenced by Spielberg's work. He was the man who brought heart and cohesive story telling to big budget action movies.

Add to that an almost endless supply of great works such as the aforementioned Schindler's List, Amistad, Catch Me If You Can and Saving Private Ryan, and who have one of the most complete film makers in history.