Sinny's Top 100 Sinnys

→ in
Tools    

A lot of my favourites in your list so far

60. The Blues Brothers (1980, John Landis)

59. Into the Wild (2007, Sean Penn)

Inspiring true story about Christopher McCandless, aka Alexander Supertramp, who after finishing college donates all his money to charity, abandons his car on the side of the road and sets off with the goal to eventually live alone, in the harsh wilderness of Alaska. It's an emotional story, with Hal Holbrook in a supporting role who gives an amazing, heart-wrenching performance that chokes me up everytime.

58. Modern Times (1936, Charlie Chaplin)

57. Back to the Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990, Robert Zemickis)

Marty McFly was my hero growing up. From a very young age, I've always been a huge fan of Back to the Future. Part III actually kick-started my interest in westerns, and I usually lean towards it for my favourite of the three. The scenes in Part II where they revist moments from the first film are great fun too, as is the whole trilogy.

56. Miller's Crossing (1990, Joel & Ethan Coen)

55. SE7EN (1995, David Fincher)

54. All the President's Men (1976, Alan J. Pakula)

"Is there any place you don't smoke?"

53. Ocean's trilogy (2001, 2004, 2007, Steven Soderbergh)

Four things I love about Ocean's Eleven and its two sequels: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Steven Soderbergh. The fact that it's a remake of a Rat Pack movie starring three of today's biggest movie stars already makes it great. Plus it's got Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta-Jones, along with Andy Garcia and Elliot Gould, as well as Albert Finney and Al Pacino. It's like the ultimate Hollywood movie-star trilogy, confidently presented by Soderbergh, a true master of his craft. Almost all style and no substance, the Ocean's trilogy is pure entertainment at its best.

52. Lawrence of Arabia (1962, David Lean)

51. Citizen Kane (1941, Orson Welles)

Charles Foster Kane is one of the most fascinating characters I've seen, almost as fascinating as the film itself. For a first time director who also stars in his first movie role, Orson Welles impresses beyond belief. Don't think there'll ever be another achievement like it. Simply outstanding.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Paths Of Glory is brilliant.

Nice to see Hustle & Flow getting some appreciation.
Nice to see you like it too. It almost sounds quite bad on paper, being a film about a pimp/drug dealer wanting to become a rapper (not to mention featuring Ludacris, Anthony Anderson and DJ Qualls), but it's done in such a gritty and believable way, helped by Terrance Howard's powferful performance, that it becomes something brilliant. The songs are great too. I especially love the scenes were they're laying down the tracks and recording them in their makeshift studio, I was really taken aback.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The OCEAN's triology are some of the best movies around
The first one was really good, but the second didn't really satisfy, although I did like the part with Bruce Willis.

Ocean's Twelve is actually my favourite of the three. And I'll admit that they sure ain't masterpieces, but they're a lot of fun and I'm glad they exist, it's quite rare to see such a star-studded cast in one film, let alone three. And out of all the movie stars in Hollywood, Clooney, Pitt and Damon are easily my favourites.

The Ocean movies show that even the rich and (Hollywood) powerful sometimes have to do things they wouldn't normally do, in order to do what they like to do.

50. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (1966, Sergio Leone)

49. The Departed (2006, Martin Scorsese)

48. Midnight Cowboy (1969, John Schlesinger)

47. Brazil (1985, Terry Gilliam)

46. Eyes Wide Shut (1999, Stanley Kubrick)

45. Life of Brian (1979, Terry Jones)

44. High & Low (1963, Akira Kurosawa)

43. Three Amigos! (1986, John Landis)

42. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964, Stanley Kubrick)

"Well, I'll tell you what he did... he ordered his planes... to attack your country... well, let me finish, Dmitri."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Really great list so far.

It's been that long since I did mine eh?

That means it's completely different now!!!! I've actually been working on a redux and hope to post this year.

Suspect's Reviews

41. Toy Story trilogy (1995, 1999, 2010, John Lasseter, Ash Brannon, Lee Unkrich)

Originally, I only had the first Toy Story movie in this spot. But yesterday I started watching the third one on TV, and quickly realised I just had to include all three. I didn't plan on watching it all, but I couldn't stop. I turn into an emotional wreck watching this film. And it's not because it's upsetting, it just really hits home and brings me back to the days where all you needed was your toys and imagination. I was 7 years old when the first one came out, and the way Andy is all grown up in the third one really makes me reflect on how much fun I used to have as a kid. I didn't have any brothers or sisters growing up, so a lot of my fun kinda relied on toys. With part 3, I get emotional from the get-go. As soon as "You've Got a Friend in Me" starts to plays over home video footage of young Andy in his room, having a great time with his toys.

For Woody, Buzz and the rest of the gang, being a toy is a job, a job which they all enjoy and love. They see Andy's room as their workplace, and Andy as their employer. This is clear when you look at the trilogy as a whole. The first film deals with a new employee, coming in and quickly rising up the ranks. In the second, Woody considers getting a new job as a collector's item. And in the third, the toys are coming to terms with having to eventually retire, and the Sunnyside daycare centre is more like a retirement home.

The fact that I get so emotionally attached to these little plastic toys, just goes to show how good the guys at Pixar are at building these wonderful characters. I pretty much love all Pixar movies, but the Toy Story films are my favourites, and the ones I connect with the most.

I've got the first one on DVD, but have only watched it once and it was years ago. I remember liking it, I'll have to watch it again. For some reason I never got around to watching the others.

I love The Departed though. I'm guessing you'd rate the original movies higher?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Infernal Affairs might well be 101 on the Tatty 100. The Departed is probably kicking around the 2000 mark.

Loving the inclusion of Serenity. Admittedly I'm a huh-oooge lover of most things Joss Whedon and Firefly and Serenity are really high on that list for me. But still, it really is an excellent sci-fi film. Have you seen the show too?